125 vs 250f

Hey guys, about a year ago I sold my 2007 CR125 and recently wanted to get back into motocross. I'm trying to decide if I should get a 125 again or of step up to a 250f. I know all the basics such as, 125s are cheaper to buy, maintain etc and 250fs are easier to ride and go fast on. I have a job, only bringing in about $125 per week. I will be riding mostly motocross tracks and I just want to be able to hit all the jumps. Im 16 about 6' and weigh 150. Which bike is best for me? Will I be able to afford the maintenance of a 250? Let me know.

Thanks!

The better rider will always be faster on a 2stroke!! I'd get another 125.

Ask someone to give you a 250f and see how you can handle it on the track (of course, you won't realize immediately, it will take a few hours in order to figure out all of the advantages / disadvantages from a 125). These days, bikes are made very well, so if you buy a new one, you shouldn't have any problem if you maintain it properly (frequent oil changes, valve adjustments etc.).. my advice is don't buy a 2 stroke just because it's cheaper to maintain if you consider the fact that a 4 stroke will make you faster (with $125 per week, i think you are good to go with either) :ride:

Cheers mate!

Ask someone to give you a 250f and see how you can handle it on the track (of course, you won't realize immediately, it will take a few hours in order to figure out all of the advantages / disadvantages from a 125). These days, bikes are made very well, so if you buy a new one, you shouldn't have any problem if you maintain it properly (frequent oil changes, valve adjustments etc.).. my advice is don't buy a 2 stroke just because it's cheaper to maintain if you consider the fact that a 4 stroke will make you faster (with $125 per week, i think you are good to go with either) :ride:

Cheers mate!

The 4stroke won't make him any "faster" i don't care who you are the better rider will be faster on a 2stroke. If get a 125 because if by chance that 250f blows there goes 4 months of your pay(aprox 2000$) a 2stroke would be 1-4weeks(100-375/400-500) that's the least it could be to the most it could be unlike a 4stroke were it could be 600 if you're lucky but it could also be 2500 if you're not.

The 4stroke won't make him any "faster" i don't care who you are the better rider will be faster on a 2stroke. If get a 125 because if by chance that 250f blows there goes 4 months of your pay(aprox 2000$) a 2stroke would be 1-4weeks(100-375/400-500) that's the least it could be to the most it could be unlike a 4stroke were it could be 600 if you're lucky but it could also be 2500 if you're not.

It is a matter of personal preference and of skill, you cannot deny the fact that a 4 stroke can't make a rider faster. Moreover, i've been into both two strokes and four strokes - they are great engines, but once again, it is a matter of how you like to ride your bike. I bet there are thousands of riders here who prefer the thumper over a smoker (i'm not saying i'm one of those, but they sure are).

Regarding costs, a new bike (either 2t or 4t) will ensure some good hours of working before having to change parts etc., as opposed to a used one. You might even have the bad luck to buy a used 2 stroke and have to put more money in it than in a used 4 stroke (it's a lottery thing).. of course, by its nature, the 4 stroke will require higher maintenance and costs, but if you are taking good care of the bike and if you know how the previous owner maintained it and rode it (in case you are buying a used one), it'll most probably be OKAY.

Edited by mordav

It's all up to you, if you enjoy the power of the 125 and think it's suitable for your riding style then go for it. If you want a bit more power and torque go for the 250F. I would prefer a 250F from the smoother power. You would be able to afford maintenance for either one.

$125 a week is not going to be comfortable affording a 250f one bit.

There's lots of other expenses, gas, oil, track fees, etc, already eating into that income. Any engine failure on a 4T and he's out for a long time.

Get the 125. It's affordable and you already know how to ride one :thumbsup:

You can't afford a 250f, simple as that. Find a nice 125 and buy it, next........

I work at McDonalds and got my first bike. A yz 125. It needed a top end and multiple other things and I can just afford to do it. Pretty much your situation. I've rode my buddy's 09 250f and my bike is equal if not faster. I don't like 4 strokes and that's my personal opinion but when you have to budget more, a 2 stroke is the way to go.