Water pump leak

Afternoon,.

My 2006 KXF450 started leaking from the small over flow at the bottom the water pump cover.

There is no water in the engine oil so I take it, only the outer seal on the impeller shaft needs to be replaced, IS THIS TRUE.

I haven't pulled anything apart as yet

Advice needed

Cheers Greg

Yes most likely just the outer seal is bad but its always best to replace both. There are water pump rebuild kits on ebay for like 30 bucks or something like that, comes with all the seals and gaskets. Pull the right side crankcase cover off, remove the impeller from shaft and replace all the seals and gaskets, you will have to remove 2 bearings and a spacer to get the inner seal out. Good idea to clean the shaft up with some fine steel wool. Fairly easy repair. Good luck!

Thanks very much MX for the quick reply and advice

Cheers Greg

pay close attention to the impeller shaft as grooving is a common cause for leaking

Yes i would say it will be the outer seal, but check that it is not grooved inside and leaking passed, Pyramid Parts Australia do the water pump seals for these, also i see you are also in OZ, they are currently doing a 25% off deal only on KXF parts (not sure for how long), it is on their home page http://www.pyramidparts.com.au/collections/kawasaki-kx450f-special-offer

Afternoon,.

My 2006 KXF450 started leaking from the small over flow at the bottom the water pump cover.

There is no water in the engine oil so I take it, only the outer seal on the impeller shaft needs to be replaced, IS THIS TRUE.

I haven't pulled anything apart as yet

Advice needed

Cheers Greg