Kickstarter arm loose, resonating

While my kickstarter arm works fine, has the correct position, it is loose in the "riding" position, and resonates at certain RPMs. The joint does not seem to be worn (the arm does not sag), dust seal and spring and ball are in position, but apparently something is in for a replacement. But which part?

Or, an oring could save the day?

Thanks.

I would try replacing part #7, dust seal, first. If it's shot/collapsed, I can see it allowing some slop. Even with a new dust seal, I think I would make sure any space/gap between the bottom of the kicker and seal is not significant. The ball detent pretty much sets the position for the kicker on the joint. So any significant space between the kicker and seal will be felt as wiggle of kicker on the joint. You could add a thinner washer under the seal to take up any excess.

image.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42

While you have the kick start mechanism apart, I would suggest that you replace the spring for the ball detent.

I have had similar springs weaken on tools.

Thank you, I will see if a new dust seal from the local shop will help, the arm does indeed move a bit vertically. And a new spring while I'm at it.

But, I just could not get the f**g retaining screw out, it's absolutely stubborn, aargh! I've tried all of my screwdrivers, WD40, oil, all known vulgar words in various combinations, hammering the edge to rotate... nada. Time to finally invest in an impact driver tomorrow.

Try heat. And use some abrasive like Ajax or Comet on the tip of your driver.

But, I just could not get the f**g retaining screw out, it's absolutely stubborn, aargh! I've tried all of my screwdrivers, WD40, oil, all known vulgar words in various combinations, hammering the edge to rotate... nada. Time to finally invest in an impact driver tomorrow.