Sign in to follow this  

Brake line sleeve

I recently had the KTM shop install mountain bike style brakes. The front brake line no longer has the stock plastic sleeve keeping the line from bending into the wheel well. I'd like to get a new sleeve snapped over the brake line but can't seem to find this type of product on any website. I'm using a coat hanger right now. Any help would be appreciated. Also it seems the KTM shop should have put a sleeve on when they did the lines. Should I complain to them and get them to fix it?

• Like 1

Mountain bike style brakes? Why didn't you just use the brake line for your bike?

Edited by ssrmatt

Mountain bike style brakes? Why didn't you just use the brake line for your bike?

LHFB RHRB. I don't know why the dealer had a local company make the line rather than just shorten the stock line and put the new fittings on to connect to the clutch lever. I think the new line is a little longer to accommodate enough slack.

Edited by mjanulaitis

LHFB RHRB. I don't know why the dealer had a local company make the line rather than just shorten the stock line and put the new fittings on to connect to the clutch lever. I think the new line is a little longer to accommodate enough slack.

I don't know any one who shortens and reterminates braided SS hyd lines. I always start fresh. It is $20 in hose and it guarantees a good crimp by starting fresh (FYI- I know of no dealer that has a hose crimping press/dies for making these small fittings and a lot of Hyd shops cannot make 3mm line either). The tubing needs to get installed before the banjo fittings in order to be continuous. You might try HD heat shrink and see if you can fit it over the fittings. The product you need is this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-polyethylene-hollow-tubing/=mqohhr

With LHFB I would think the line would exceed the minimum bend radius and end up kinking or getting torn to hell pretty quickly unless you really control the routing.

I'm curious why you switched to a Mtn bike front brake. I understand the rear setup as that's what rekluse sells now.

I've been riding mountain bikes since was little and now I'm 40. I ride 3-4 times a week and it's second nature for me to control my bike with my right hand. I've been riding dirt bikes for 4 years or so and now with my switched up brakes I can fly down the mountain in total control and keep up or pass my buddies that have been riding dirt bikes since they were little. Foot brakes are worthless for me on tight technical single track. I have to change my body position to get good braking then the results pale in comparison to the accuracy of a hand brake. Downhill right hand switchbacks with cliffs to fall over suck with foot brakes. All my buddies, some of them even race every weekend, struggle with those downhill right hand switchbacks almost as much as I used to. Now I can come in hot with my right foot off the peg and swing the bike around fast.

Down hill, right handed switch backs are just as easy as lefts. You just lock up the rear wheel and turn right. No problem! I am very short so I had to learn to ride with my feet on the pegs at all times. It's a little like riding trials.

I went to home depot and used a hard plastic water line. I used my table saw to cut a line down the middle then used a dremmel to buff out the cut so it wouldn't cut into the line or pre-maturely wear the line. I snapped the line over my braided line and zip tied the brake line to the speedo line and problem solved.

Edited by Michael Janulaitis

I have been riding bicycles for 45 years. I have always had my front brakes on the right on all my bikes. If you never learn bad habits you won't have to unlearn them later.

My sidehack.

P6083064-1.jpg

My MTB.

P7243288-1.jpg

My Kos Kruiser.

P7243283-1.jpg

My 24.

P7243280-1.jpg

My 20.

P7243277-1.jpg

My sons 24.

P7243270-1.jpg