Fender bags/camelbacks and the like.

Yes, I've done a search.

I see alot of people like to keep their tools in back packs, or a "flight vest" instead of using a fender bag. Now I'm not a big fan of fender bags, mainly because they can fall off and I'll never be the wiser (until I make a stop) but keeping tools, i.e. hard metal objects that could easily impale me during a crash, in a back pack of "flight vest" doesn't seem like a good idea either.

So give me some feedback...Is this an issue? Has anyone crashed while wearing a backpack or flight vest and suffered some extra damage due to tools? Also, it's going to get hot here (Houston, it happens) and i feel like this extra stuff might get hot. Does it?

Edited by RAGEman

I just moved away from separate fanny enduro pack and drink bladder to one of the Klim Nac Paks, best move I have ever made. Has a nice built in tool holder, 100oz drink system and enough room in the pockets for other items. I even carry a spare 1 liter fuel bottle with me without issues, the weight can be felt a bit but it is nothing overwhelming and after proper adjustment it works perfectly.

Edited by Mikek671

I just moved away from separate fanny enduro pack and drink bladder to one of the Klim Nac Paks, best move I have ever made. Has a nice built in tool holder, 100oz drink system and enough room in the pockets for other items. I even carry a spare 1 liter fuel bottle with me without issues, the weight can be felt a bit but it is nothing overwhelming and after proper adjustment it works perfectly.

Are you not at all concerned about all that stuff impaling you in a nasty crash? I see some people carrying air pumps on the side of that thing. Scary...

Edited by RAGEman

IMO if you wreck hard enough for a screw driver or something to impale you through your pack, you might have more to worry about.

I have a fender bag on my front fender so I can see it IF it falls. I also have a small fender bag on my bars. Only thing I have on my back is a camel back, I feel the same way as you about putting tools in a back pack.

I carry tools in my camelbak. Many crashes never an issue. Camelbak goes over the chest protector anyways if youre wearing one....which you should.

I use a Camelbak for water, but keep tools in a fanny pack. Have worn it so long that I don't even know it's there (to the point of reaching back and feeling to make sure). I've crashed several times, pretty hard on my back a few, and never a problem. Actually the fanny pack seems to make a pretty good kidney pad to keep sticks and rocks from stabbing me when I rag doll.

I bought a moose fender pack. Mounts to the front fender, holds alot of crap. However, the bike becomes super sensitive to overloading.

I bought a moose fender pack. Mounts to the front fender, holds alot of crap. However, the bike becomes super sensitive to overloading.

This is actually one of the bags I was looking at, but the reviews for it were terrible. People unanimously said the straps broke within a few rides. Even people that were happy with the pack overall. What's your experience?

I understand that in most accidents, you'd be fine having tools on your back, chest, etc., but it only takes one time for that screwdriver to turn and jab you while landing on it. I just don't think it's smart. However, if the pack has a tool roll and a place holder in the bag for such to keep it from turning, I might be ok with it. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the input.

Very rarely do I carry any tools or anything of sort. Lately I have invested in a Moose Fanny Pack and have been loading it with some tools. Ive ridden with it with only water but I do like the way it feels on my hips vs a camelback.....

One of the reviews on motorcyclesuperstore is mine.

It works fine if moderately loaded. I've had it come off, but usually due to me overloading, or not fastening/loading it correctly. Here is the review I wrote:

Moderately Acceptable

I've used this for 6-7 months now with mixed luck. I have had rides where it has stayed put through some very nasty terrain, and other rides where it has shook loose on some fire-roads. I have cut notches into my fender to keep the clips from sliding, which is what allows it to come loose. The bag itself holds alot. We keep a folding handsaw, first aide kit, all necessary tools, with plenty of room to expand the bag. Weight is a limitation.

I run a rear fender bag. Msr model that has a plastic insert and bolts to the fender.

I haul tools parts etc. In it. I just don't want any more weight hanging on me then I have to.

only time I lost anything was when I forgot to zip it shut. Its also water resistant. Yes I use a hydration system all the time. Its zip tied to my chest protector.

I ride alone a lot so tools and such are a must.

I use the Wolfman E-12. http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/product/74_6/e-12-saddle-bags.cfm

They are nice and compact if just my tire changing stuff is in there.

For those really long trips, they expand a lot. I don't notice they are there at all.

I have 4 Fender bags in my gear bag, all found on the trail. The tight woods and deer trails we ride have a lot of branches and such to strip things off your bike like rear fender bags.

not sure of the cost, cause my wife sells them (along with all the other parts I get)....

Edited by KTMrider43

I use a Camelbak for water, but keep tools in a fanny pack. Have worn it so long that I don't even know it's there (to the point of reaching back and feeling to make sure). I've crashed several times, pretty hard on my back a few, and never a problem. Actually the fanny pack seems to make a pretty good kidney pad to keep sticks and rocks from stabbing me when I rag doll.

Yeah I have a smaller camelbak (50oz/1.5l) and the klim scramble fanny pack thing and it's great! plenty of room for enough trail tools and some snacks, maps, plugs, first aid, all that good stuff. super light and all the weight is centered on your hips, which gives you dat mobility. on hot days I run out water sometimes, which sucks.

About a year ago, I had some hand loppers in my fanny pack, which I was wearing in front of me. I grabbed the front brake on some wet grass and was on the ground before I knew what happened. The loppers didn't impale me, but did cause some serious pain. I tried stuffing everything in a back pack. It must have weighed 30-40 pounds and a couple times when I was doing some slow technical rock climbing, it was enough to throw me off balance and cause my clumsy butt to fall over.

I bought one also. After 4 rides one of the straps is already ripped where it loops through the hook for the fender.

I've got a moose front fender pack with approx. 3000kms on it. No problems yet. I think it's listed as a spare tube pack. In it I carry tube, patch kit, spoons, I think that's it. The only quirk was that it blocks my headlight a little but I don't ride in the dark often.