Sign in to follow this  

200SX pipe on my 2008XC (hey JoeMcLaughlin & GMOSS)

I was reading the old thread on here about pipe choice for the 200. (http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/902010-ktm-200-pipe-choices/page__hl__%20200sx%20%20fatty__st__60) You two seemed to have input on the 200SX fatty pipe (03/04) on the 200XC.

I need to find a starting point for jetting. I am in Texas (low altitude and not cold)

I have my 36mm carb off the 200 XC and also my 39mm carb off my 2008 144 motor (which also has the Vforce reed block).

Help me out! :D

Prob should go with the 39 carb and vforce reeds?

45 pilot?

185-188 main?

R1468G needle?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by dhdrider

I'm running 200sx fatty on my 08 XC. 65 degrees 400ft, 42pilot, N0ZH #4, 175 main, 36mm carb. Yup a 175 on the 36mm carb. You will lose some grunt but pick up smooth linear power that keeps going and going. Seems like it makes each gear twice as long. The other pipes kind of force you to short shift but the fatty wants a lower gear and more revs. I am amazed at the difference between the 200 fatty and the other pipes which all seem very similar. I wouldn't put that 39 on till you try the 36 first. You might lose too much bottom with the 39 but I've never tried a 39 either. I don't have any spooge with that jetting. I have an SXS pipe and the stocker but don't care for them much. Hope this helps you out.

I'm running 200sx fatty on my 08 XC. 65 degrees 400ft, 42pilot, N0ZH #4, 175 main, 36mm carb. Yup a 175 on the 36mm carb. You will lose some grunt but pick up smooth linear power that keeps going and going. Seems like it makes each gear twice as long. The other pipes kind of force you to short shift but the fatty wants a lower gear and more revs. I am amazed at the difference between the 200 fatty and the other pipes which all seem very similar. I wouldn't put that 39 on till you try the 36 first. You might lose too much bottom with the 39 but I've never tried a 39 either. I don't have any spooge with that jetting. I have an SXS pipe and the stocker but don't care for them much. Hope this helps you out.

That's good to hear. Yeah I hate to lose all the bottom. I know I stand to lose some with the fatty, but just want more top end if possible. I also have the 36mm smart carb on pre-order. So that would make all this easy. :cool:

Since I'm a bit warmer down here I should be safe starting there as well. Have you tried the Honda 1370 DKA needle? That's currently the needle I'm running with the Gnarly.

Ya I tried those honda needles. They will work just fine probably at the same clip position you are currently using. Don't be afraid to go 4-5 sizes bigger than usual on the main. I think that pipe needs it. For the little bit of grunt you lose, you will gain tons of usable smooth revs. It's a good trade off and I like that pipe a lot.

Currently running

Carb size (38 or 36mm): 39

Slide: 6

Main jet: 188

Pilot Jet: 42

Air screw (turns out): 1.5

Needle model/Clip position: 1470H 1st

The Fatty is a far better pipe than the Gnarly. The Gnarly goes flat on top. The Fatty has that SX overrev feel and that feels sooo good. I recently went leaner on the 39mm carb jetting because my son grenaded his 125 engine and I needed a new piston for his 150 engine so he was using my 200 to race. He hated the jetting I was running so I started getting drastic. His 150 is back together now and I had a chance to use my 200 at the 12 hour race a couple weeks ago. The bike ripped with the leaner jetting.

I recently pulled the 36mm carb I've had in the garage forever and installed it on the kids 150 with the Boysen reed cage. I am very impressed with the 36mm carb. Great throttle response and still performs in the high RPM. I have not had a chance to use a 36mm on a 200 but I'm liking it so much I may end up buying a 36mm for the 200. To get a base line just look at the newer 200 owners manuals, they are running the 36mm carb OEM on the XC models.

Joe..........