Cycra=Poor Quality

I have a '12 WR450 and bought the Cycra CRM probends (used GYTR part number). The black plastic slider that goes on the side does not even come remotely close to fitting. I called Cycra just now and asked them if the plastic piece I had was a fluke and just out of spec or something. Their response was "the handguard shape has changed and evolved over time but the plastic slider is still using the original mold." That is definitely not an acceptable answer. I don't understand how I company can possible justify that as a response. I translated that excuse as, "yes we know they don't fit like they should because we are too cheap to update our molds to make a product they way it should." I asked him, "Do you plan on updating the mold in order to make parts that fit like they should in the future?" His responded saying they do eventually plan to update the mold, but again that translates to "not anytime soon."

The guy on the phone was telling me that the plastic piece in the pictures below will fit.

Conclusion for those looking to buy these:

The metal bar fits fine, but the black plastic slider is a joke. I don't know about you guys, but fit is just as important to me as function....I will not buy garbage products, hence why I make a lot of stuff myself since I can do it better. The Cycra's aren't garbage, but the fitment of everything as a package definitely leaves A LOT on the table. It's unacceptable that a company allows for this kind of quality to go out their door.

Clutch Side...about a 1/2" gap and the bolt hole is a 1/2 bolt off:

IMG_20130512_021038_971_zps7a92c6c3.jpg

IMG_20130512_021129_014_zps038c3153.jpg

Brake side...about a 1/4" gap and the bolt hole is a 1/2 bolt off again.

IMG_20130512_021241_131_zps8477b1d5.jpg

IMG_20130512_021315_191_zpsb57d5401.jpg

Edited by DuncR6

?

Cycra makes great products. The pro bends I have on my bike work great, and while the sliders took a little convincing, I got them on without having to go to the internet and throw a fit.

Making people aware and describing an issue isn't throwing a fit. Do I like the handguards, yes. Do I think they need to fix things, yes. I'll be able to fix this with a dremel...it's just that people shouldn't need to do that.

put a c-clamp on them and the bolt holes will line up. the tension keeps the hardware from backing out.

next time maybe ask if others' have experienced this before coming on and bashing the build quality of a product 1000's of us have used with no problems.

Blue loctite is for that...not misaligned holes. That's why I called the company first before posting.

Edited by DuncR6

Making people aware and describing an issue isn't throwing a fit. Do I like the handguards, yes. Do I think they need to fix things, yes. I'll be able to fix this with a dremel...it's just that people shouldn't need to do that.

Blue loctite is for that...not misaligned holes. That's why I called the company first before posting.

once again, they're designed that way for a reason. every pair is that way for a reason. it's not a fault, flaw, or error.

once again, they're designed that way for a reason. every pair is that way for a reason. it's not a fault, flaw, or error.

How is it not a flaw when Cycra themselves just told me that the mold is out of spec in relation to the newest bar's design? I could understand your reasoning in regard to the gaps and would agree with you, but the misaligned holes has nothing to do with bolt retention.

Edited by DuncR6

DuncR6, it is customary of TT community to bash those who point out problems - especially if they own said product. I used the Cycras before with the handlebar mounts and if you even looked at them cross-eyed they'd move. Not stout. So I went with trying to mount cycras to the top triple clamp. Would not fit. ?

Went to a G2 Ergonomics "mondo" fork mount and their guards that literally thread into handlebar. Much better. On sale for $100 shipped from their website.

• Like 1

Have you tried losening up the other bolt then putting it in?never tighten anything till all the bolts are in.just a suggestion

Yeah at first I thought this was the case. However, after loosening the first bolt more I realized that it can only go on one way due to the bend in the bar and the slider would have to match that same bend. That's when I realized I was either going to order a replacement (no biggie, I variances in MFGing is understandable) or have to dremel it out....but it looks like dremeling is the only option.

your brake lever is hitting your guard

It's just an illusion in the picture. There is roughly 2mm of clearance. It's a TRX450R master + lever. The stock WR lever will fit on the TRX450 master, but I'm going to try the TRX lever first. The WR lever is shorter and I wasn't completely sold on the feel just yet. I'm going to test it on a ride next weekend and then decide if I want to switch it.

DuncR6, it is customary of TT community to bash those who point out problems - especially if they own said product. I used the Cycras before with the handlebar mounts and if you even looked at them cross-eyed they'd move. Not stout. So I went with trying to mount cycras to the top triple clamp. Would not fit. ?

Went to a G2 Ergonomics "mondo" fork mount and their guards that literally thread into handlebar. Much better. On sale for $100 shipped from their website.

haha, yeah I was thinking it was odd that people were getting upset with me simply for pointing out that the quality isn't there. I thought on the way home for lunch, "you know if I sold a member here something and it didn't fit like it should then I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with me...so why is it any different in this case?" My main gripe is that the company acknowledges that the parts don't fit and are not creating a solution. It's not that hard to make a new plastic mold. Or if that's too expensive for them then just change the spots that the metal is drilled.

Edited by DuncR6

If noone "really" complains...most don't, and figure out how to "make it happen", I wouldn't expect Cycra to retool for a 50 cent part. However, If everyone who bought Cycras, complained, returned them, and went to another manufacturer...Hitting them in the pocket book real, or perceived...that would change things.

• Like 2

I'd just warm then up with a heat gun, form them on there while they are a bit soft, and when they cool they'll be custom fit to the latest design version of the Cycra bend.

Excellent idea, I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

I have to agree with the OP. If I buy cheapo crap than I can expect holes that don't match etc, but these are not cheap hand guards. If Cycra reconfigures one part, they should make the same changes to the parts that interface with it. I have replaced my plastic bumpers and they fit perfect, but I have older (08) Cycras. I Don't see why they needed to change the shape of the bars anyway, the old shape works fine. :ride:

Edited by singletracmind

Cycra pro bends standard mounts are just as good as any barkbuster out there.

There are two simple fixes for every problem I've read about these and i've owned three different sets.

First people complain about the plastic bumpers. Yes they are hard to get flush IF you don't use your head. All you need is one pair of vise grip pliers. Clamp the plastic to the bar and screw it in. PERFECT. Move pliers to other side and repeat. PERFECT.

Also about them changing the bend. I have one set that was bought back in 2009 and another in 2013. The bend is slightly different at the very end but the bumpers still fit perfectly. Clamp one side screw and clamp the other. I just bought my second set last month and all mine lined up perfectly.

Second. I hear people say it comes in at a weird angle and they have to bend it because it sticks to far out or it hits something else on your bars. Simple fix. Cycra sells a 1" aluminum spacer. I use this on my drz because it fitsbetter on my drz with it. Most stores do not offer the spacers so you have to go to cycra directly. They ship in one day.

Cycra has an awsome product with the pro bend.

I would not recommend the series one barkbusters though. THey don't have sliders and are really long. The standard pro bends have never let me down.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

Update:

I used a heatgun and was able to fix the plastic pieces. I couldn't get the holes to line up precisely, but they were close enough that even I thought it was acceptable. Thanks again for the idea OLHILLBILLY. I still stand by all of comments above until Cycra fixes this problem.

IMG_20130514_212457_680_zpse195d9ca.jpg

IMG_20130514_212607_618_zps90e03df2.jpg

Edited by DuncR6