Sign in to follow this  

KTM 200xc is slow

I think I'm going to sale it and get a 300. I just can't get this bike to get off it's ass. bike is a KTM200xc 2007

At the end you said, "That was awesome!" as if you were pleased? Regardless, good luck with the sale of your 200. I love my 300.

it just don't have any mid range so I have to shift a lot. Any time I can get out and ride hard with out a crash is awesome to me

Didn't look slow to me. ;)

Any engine mods done? (like head work)

yes the head has been centered the jug is ported and carb egged. This was done by the 1st owner so I don't know who did the work. I did move the power valve to try and get some mid out of it. It has the pro circuit exhaust with the "Nature Friendly Spark Arrestor"

it just don't have any mid range so I have to shift a lot. Any time I can get out and ride hard with out a crash is awesome to me

For sure it won't have the low end "chugability" of a 300.

That said, did you adjust the PV for more low end power? that might help some.

Define "slow" ....

It you mean slow as top speed, the 300 is no rocket either

If you mean slow as needing more torque, the 300 has an obvious displacement advantage and will deliver.

Just remember there is a bit of a weight penalty :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

dude your cruising, looks like a fun ride! I'd like to see you on a 300 pushing harder then the speeds your already going on the same trail!

dude your cruising, looks like a fun ride! I'd like to see you on a 300 pushing harder then the speeds your already going on the same trail!

I got a friend that that has one. I'll see how it's set up and try it out in the same spot.

Check out the other thread on the 200sx Fatty pipe. I agree that usually the 200 has no midrange. I race one so I feel ya. The Fatty is the beez kneez for midrange and top end. They are for a 03-04 200sx but you can still get em new. It's a big difference from other pipes that you will feel. Had to cut a half inch off stinger to fit my 08. Or just get a new bike lol.

Check out the other thread on the 200sx Fatty pipe. I agree that usually the 200 has no midrange. I race one so I feel ya. The Fatty is the beez kneez for midrange and top end. They are for a 03-04 200sx but you can still get em new. It's a big difference from other pipes that you will feel. Had to cut a half inch off stinger to fit my 08. Or just get a new bike lol.

Sorry to hijack but i have problems finding a pipe other than the gnarly for my ´09 200 xc-w.

I bought the bike with a brand new stock pipe and the bike was revy, it ripped through singletrack and it was a lot more fun.

After destroying the pipe :rolleyes: I searched and searched and only found Gnarly pipes for my bike.

Its night and day, huge torque increase but you dont go pass the midrange when you need to upshift.

Since the stock pipe is too $$$ and paper thin....

...I want to know if there´s a fatty out there that can fit my bike with or w/o modifications.

Thanks.

I rode 200's for a few years. They take some setup and getting used to, most 250 guys I let ride mine did not like it. I used a 200sx pipe but also really liked the stock pipe. I used a shorty silencer whenever I could, it really adds some snap and throttle response, your nature friendly PC is the long quiet verison of their spark arrestors and is hindering performance some, I'd get a normal length sparky and run a shorty when you can. Lots of guys here may disagree but you look fast enough to be able to tell. What needle are you running? I absolutely hated JD needles, they just make the delievery so bland. Play with powervalve settings, you'll be really suprised with the results and you can do it on the trail. Another nice mod is a 125sx cdi. Don't be affraid to play with gearing either.

So I take it "slow" is a relative term? I'm like novice level and just get a 200 exc; your youtube channel is an inspiration. Those trails look really fun too, very flowing.

For what it's worth, the one I got has a 12oz flywheel weight and taller gearing on it, and the mid is really strong and hooks up well. Please record video when you try out that 300!

:worthy:

oh, and here's this big article from this guy setting his 200xc up for gncc, here's the motor specific pages:

http://www.ktmworld.com/blog/8-ktm-world-project-gncc-200xc-part-3.aspx

http://www.ktmworld.com/blog/9-project-gncc-200xc-part-4.aspx

Edited by PoopSock

Sorry to hijack but i have problems finding a pipe other than the gnarly for my ´09 200 xc-w.

I bought the bike with a brand new stock pipe and the bike was revy, it ripped through singletrack and it was a lot more fun.

After destroying the pipe :rolleyes: I searched and searched and only found Gnarly pipes for my bike.

Its night and day, huge torque increase but you dont go pass the midrange when you need to upshift.

Since the stock pipe is too $$$ and paper thin....

...I want to know if there´s a fatty out there that can fit my bike with or w/o modifications.

Thanks.

All the 200 pipes interchange, they make a fatty, i'd say it's most similar to the stocker.

Google FMF 200 SX Fatty pipe and you will find it. I just tried. It is for an 03 or 04 200 SX but it will fit your 09. Seems to be the only pipe completely different than the stock/gnarly/SXS pipes. I know you can get pro circuit pipes for the older KTMs too but I've never seen one but am interested in them. They have a platinum (revver) and platinum 2 (woods) but again never seen one in person. A 150 pipe may work too but I don't have one to try. You can probably find a FMF SST pipe and silencer combo too if you look.

All the 200 pipes interchange, they make a fatty, i'd say it's most similar to the stocker.

It's very different. It doesn't make the left hand loop after it exits the motor. It comes straight out and down before curving to the right. I would say it is a good bit shorter with a big fat section In the middle. All the others I've seen look similar to stocker.

Stock pipe and SXS pipe have zero mid to top compared to the fatty. I was trying the SXS but folded it in my last race. I put the fatty back on yesterday and was blown away again at the difference it made. If you don't get along with the power delivery of the 200, the fatty can really change things up. Running Fatty with shorty and is still fairly quiet. 36mm carb 42 pilot, N0ZH #4, 175 main, 65 degrees, sea level. Smooth and free revving.