Sign in to follow this  

18 inch rear wheel on cr250?

hi there I have a 2003 cr250 and I race hare scrambles. I was wondering if a 18inch rear tire will help with anything. I have noticed some people do that but don't know why? any help on that would be awesome!

hi there I have a 2003 cr250 and I race hare scrambles. I was wondering if a 18inch rear tire will help with anything. I have noticed some people do that but don't know why? any help on that would be awesome!

18" rear wheels will have a greater amount of sidewall on the tire. Although this is slightly heavier since there is more rubber it is done to help reduce the number of pinch flats. A 19" rear with a shorter sidewall is far more prone to pinch flats.

• Like 2

18" rear wheels will have a greater amount of sidewall on the tire. Although this is slightly heavier since there is more rubber it is done to help reduce the number of pinch flats. A 19" rear with a shorter sidewall is far more prone to pinch flats.

Exactly this. You can run lower pressures (greater traction) with an 18" and be less prone to flats than you can with a 19". This would by my first mod for an MX bike running off road.

if I were to do this would I keep the same hub and get a 18inch rim and spokes or is it more complicated than that?

New rim and spokes would do it.

I went with the 18 because I wanted to run a trials tire and since my wheel was trashed I went that route although I cant tell you if it is worth it yet or not due to my bike not running with it yet.

Yes, I'm

if I were to do this would I keep the same hub and get a 18inch rim and spokes or is it more complicated than that?

Exactly, I've got 2x 18" wheels built out of OEM hubs now (one winter set and one summer). I just buy the Moose stainless spoke and hub, haven't dented one yet and I run 12 psi in the rear.

In addition to having the extra sidewall allowing you to run a lower PSI, I've found the tires are quite a bit easier to change.

For the cost, definitely a must have for every offroad CR250R.

• Like 1

I've been running an 18" rear for a while. Lots more tires available and like its been said, the fatter tires air down better and get better traction over logs and stuff.

• Like 1

I have an 18" wheel, tubliss, w/ a trials tire I will use every now and then for woods.

But my all time favorite and 100% dead reliable setup is still the 19" wheel w/ a Mousse bib.

Bib mousse, I believe it's simply closed-cell foam. They are awesome because they cannot go flat, but they really don't last long, especially not in the front as when they get softer you lose some steering control.

Edited by Eddie8v

Put a search on Thumpertalk and make sure it's on forums . This is a common old topic that keeps coming up. You'll get lots more info that will give you a clearer view. I have an 18" rear rim with a wider 2.5" rim on my cr and buchanan stainless steel spokes that are quality ,thicker and nice . I highly recommend buchanan spokes. The ride is smoother and my bike hooks up well . There's a bigger footprint on the ground. It's a very good improvement for cr's for offroad.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider