Sign in to follow this  

New reeds vs. new reed cage

Lookin for a little help here guys. I ride an 01 cr250 that I have been cleaning up over the winter. I wanted to freshen it up a little bit and started looking at reed cages but I see so much mixed information on them and I am terribly indecisive.

Basically I am looking to increase throttle response and low end. Im trying to make up my mind between a RAD valve or just a new set of reeds such as the power reeds. Any thoughts?

I use to own an 01 & bought a boyesen rad valve for it & ended up returning it for my money back. It's really an overpriced bolt on mod that does little to performance gains. For around $180 you can use your monery more wisely & get better results. I'd recomend going with the carbon fibre reeds if they need to be replaced.

Thank you sir. Half the people praise them and half the people say its not worth it. Do you have any recommendations for reeds? really the only ones I have seen are boyeson

I have Boysen CF on my 250. No complaints. Can't go wrong with those or VForce reeds if you are wanting new ones. Those combined with jetting and a pipe should net some gains.

Thank you sir. Half the people praise them and half the people say its not worth it. Do you have any recommendations for reeds? really the only ones I have seen are boyeson

The Boyesen CF reeds should be ok. If your looking for better throttle response out of the motor I'd recomend the oem pipe & use the money on a 00 Kehin PWK carb. I wasn't aware of the the Kehin carb swap back then otherwise I would've done it on the 01 model. I also ran a 10 thou. thinner comtetic base gasket & it helped with throttle response. Next time your due for a top end you can try the thinner base mod & see if you like it as it's a inexpensive mod.

If you are on a budget and can't afford to buy an aftermarket reed cage then I would just replace the reeds with stock OEM or boyesen reeds. My experience with the Boyesen power reeds for the stock cage were not that great. The bike was a little bit snappier, but when I went to inspect my reeds after a couple practice days, the reed tips were chipped on the corners. However, this is what I can tell you. I now run Moto Tassinari V-Force 3's on my 05' CR125 Mod and 07' CR250 Mod. When I first installed them, I did not notice that great of a increase in throttle response or power until I properly jetted the bikes. Once we got a good base setting for the jetting, I was able to notice the performance of the reed cage. On 125's the VF3 reeds really help make th ebike a lot snappier and improve the bottom to mid pull with a little more over-rev. On the 250, I noticed again, snappier more clean throttle response with a more linear transition from bottom to mid with more of a punch in the mid range. You have to remember that, just like putting an exhaust on a bike you are only going to gain a percentage of a HP. You will get more power out of your bike through porting, head mods, gearing, etc. However, saying this the V-Force Reeds are a great addition to any two stroke and they have great customer service as well. The benefit to the V-Force over the stock is that there is twice as much reed pedal coverage, which allows more fuel and air to come in. Also the reeds can flex more and open up more. The Boyesen Rad valve is similar to the stock reed cage with the addition of their dual stage reeds. However, the way the Rad Valve makes its power is by making the path from the carb to the intake port more straight allowing the mixture flow better which allows the engine to eat faster. The fuel/air mixture does not have to bend around a corner and is more straight. Which ever way you go, you won't be dissappointed. Both reed cage systems are great and are a nice addition to any bike. However, on V-force make sure you check the reeds every 10 hours to monitor the wear and replace after 30hrs. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I really appreciate the detailed responses. I should have been a little more specific, my 01 also has a full fmf system and has been jetted. Above is however the problem, everyone kinda thinks differently haha. I realize that better gains could be made through porting and such but I am not a racer or anything at this point so I would rather not get into things like that at this point.

Thanks, I really appreciate the detailed responses. I should have been a little more specific, my 01 also has a full fmf system and has been jetted. Above is however the problem, everyone kinda thinks differently haha. I realize that better gains could be made through porting and such but I am not a racer or anything at this point so I would rather not get into things like that at this point.

Honestly, sometimes you just need to make a decision yourself and experience it for yourself. I personally think full reed cages are a waste of money as I went from stock to stock cage with Pro-series reeds and then the full rad valve schebang. I should have saved my money. Edited by cmjb

just reeds you will notice a change but not much with a cage you will get alitle more.but there more to it than just changing reeds or cage.v-force from my expience seems to be more top end an the rad valve is more bottom end.on my kx250 with the v force an pc pipe i didnt notice much then i switched to a gnaly pipe an it was worse,but when i droped in the rad valve the kxturned into a bottom end animal.its like everything else you have tune an get parts that will work together to see the best results.on a side note i have a v force in my 02 cr250 that came with the bike an this is now one of the main things im going to replace ASAP now,i think they are junk (personal preferance) the are plastic an the screw holes are striped easy when changing reeds.think about what one little screw can do inside a motor for a few seconds not pretty.so i stick with either stock or rad valve.

Kawie