Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki RM80 Dirt Bike No VIN Number

HI

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME MY SON HAS RECENTLY GOT INTO HIS DIRT BIKES AND SAVED £400 FOR THE ABOVE DIRT BIKE. HE BOUGHT THIS BIKE AFTER LOOKING AT IT AND WE HAVE SINCE DISCOVERED THE VIN NUMBER HAS BEEN REMOVED AND THE BIKE HAS ENDLESS REPAIRS REQUIRED ON IT. MY SON IS DEVASTATED THE GUY WONT GIVE US OUR MONEY BACK. I HAVE CALLED THE POLICE AS WE THINK IT MAY BE STOLEN THEY ARE GETTING BACK TO ME TOMORROW. OUR PROBLEM IS IF ITS NOT STOLEN HOW CAN WE TELL WHAT THE MANUFACTURE DATE IS TO ORDER PARTS. I APOLOGISE FOR MY IGNORANCE AND YES SOME PEOPLE MAY THINK WE HAVE BEEN STUPID(I CERTAINLY FEEL IT) BUT BELIEVE ME WE HAVE LEARNT THE HARD WAY.

THANK YOU

If you can get the legality's taken care we can help you. I am not sure on the UK's law but in the US no VIN is a bad thing. Let us know what the police say. If you post pictures we can probably get you the year of the bike going off of that. There may also be engine numbers somewhere on the engine, they are usually on the shifter side of the bike.

And for future reference, please don't type in all caps. It is hard to read.

Sounds like your son is out his money but if not, I'm sure a few guys on here could help you identify the year of the bike. $600 (or 400 pounds, roughly) isn't a lot of money though, bikes in that price range are expected to require a bit of work. Get a list of what it needs and I'm sure we could all help you there too.

There should be a VIN on the frame steering head and another on the engine (Right side, main engine case, sort of above the kick starters and behind the cylinder.

Your story unfortunately, is not that uncommon. A naive person buys a bike, only to find out it is worn out and ruined and worse, stolen.

All bikes have either a MSO or a legal title. Never buy one without it. Never buy a motorcycle without having a knowledgeable person checking it out. Lessons learned the hard way.

Be wary of investing any money in it, It may cost way more to repair than it is worth. My personal experience is that any small bike is usually trashed and quite worthless unless it is only a year or two old and even then, only when being sold by the kids dad.