Riding in the houston Area

Texas

I am new to riding, had a bike as a kid but just guned it in pastures. I am looking to find some nice people to go riding with,its seems like my other friends dont have time or ended up selling there bikes . I will be classified as a beginner, but would like to get more experience for when my Son will start riding.

I am looking to try to ride on friday -sunday.

awlupher.. good to see you getting back into riding...

Places about Houston are either MX tracks (www.threepalmsesp.com http://www.riobravomx.com/ or Sam Houston National Forest..

Have to pay per ride at the MX clubs plus membership.. SHNF per ride or annual pass from the Ranger station..

Personally haven't ridden at any of the MX tracks.. However, the Forest is a challenge for a beginner as its very sandy which is a beginners nightmare.. Not to say its all sand there are some good to great spots for beginners too. But offroad is all about riding in tough conditions..Hope this give you a starting point..

Another option is Rio Bravo MX. They have a small trail section that might be easier on you to begin with - you're never far from the parking area. More expensive than the forest, but there are a lot of amenities (swimming pool, pavilion you can park under). Check in with them as they offer some reduced rates from time to time for memberships and free rides. http://www.riobravomx.com/

Also go to Texas Offroad Network and Two Wheel Texans for more local info. Google both.

Where are some good trails. The forest is far and heard its woops for miles. I'm tired of all these tracks I've ridden them all 100 times. I'm curious too.

Pay attention to Texas Offroad Network - the AMSA group will have family ride days on properties to be used for hare scrambles (not the same weekend as the race). That is usually between Bastrop and Columbus area, which is an hour or two from West Houston. Middle of summer is the slow time though, as it's too hot/humid for a lot of people.

There is apparently a property somewhere in town that used to be a golf course which is open for riding some days.. I can't recall where I heard about it - maybe motohouston?

There really isn't much trail riding in the Houston area - Skull Creek is supposed to be nice, but it's hard to get in to test out and the memberships have a waiting list. I had 2 areas in Sugar Land to ride, but both have been closed off (I think because of trash dumping).

That's interesting. I was talking with friend/mechanic over here and what houston really really needs is a come and go Moto track or something. Cornerstone shut down but that place sucked anyway. Three palms is too far to stop in just for a couple hours and so is rio (for most). There needs to be something new out here on the west side. I do use TON. It seems to be kind of dead these days compared to 6-7 years ago. I know of skull creek but what do they do out there? Hog hunting? Strawberry picking? I didn't see anything about riding when I searched with exception of the races they hold. I don't like to just show up somewhere I've never been and blindly go out there and haul ass. That's a really bad idea. We need a modern day mills road motocross or 290 motocross...or something. There is going to be a new track and enduro cross traxk down in la marque. Guy cooper and someone I know are involved. Still in the worx.

That's interesting. I was talking with friend/mechanic over here and what houston really really needs is a come and go Moto track or something. Cornerstone shut down but that place sucked anyway. Three palms is too far to stop in just for a couple hours and so is rio (for most). There needs to be something new out here on the west side. I do use TON. It seems to be kind of dead these days compared to 6-7 years ago. I know of skull creek but what do they do out there? Hog hunting? Strawberry picking? I didn't see anything about riding when I searched with exception of the races they hold. I don't like to just show up somewhere I've never been and blindly go out there and haul ass. That's a really bad idea. We need a modern day mills road motocross or 290 motocross...or something. There is going to be a new track and enduro cross traxk down in la marque. Guy cooper and someone I know are involved. Still in the worx.

Build one yourself.

Lol.......where? Just so people know, the place that used to be a golf course/waste dump is called sugar hill off road park or SHORP. It's going through some legal disputes right now. It looks really sick though. They have zip lines and stuff into shit infested cess pools apparently-per motohouston. It's not clear to me if this is actually a legal off road park or if some bum showed up and started taking money-also per Moto houston. Apparently it's somewhere around westheimer and Richmond, down in aleif. On the subject of TON, it's dead but I try to follow it every now and then when it's not down.

Skull Creek is the Trail Riders of Houston park. All ranch and gravel pits. Great place to ride but you must be with a member. Best way to try it out is to go race. www.trh-cycle.org for more.

the golf course place is the La Marque Motocross Park and they are really getting serious about it now. three tracks being built and there is a torcs race in a few weeks. looks like it will be a great park. they are on facebook.

I am new to riding, had a bike as a kid but just guned it in pastures. I am looking to find some nice people to go riding with,its seems like my other friends dont have time or ended up selling there bikes . I will be classified as a beginner, but would like to get more experience for when my Son will start riding.

I am looking to try to ride on friday -sunday.

I know this post is a little old so not sure if you still get on TT. But I would be classified as a beginner as well. I live in Conroe. Looking for guys to ride with! More trails not mx. Let me know. Let's ride!

Hello Fellow Houston Riders !

I'm in town for tomorrow and wanting to ride some trails around the area. Currently in west houston and I have heard of southwest mx track, also sam houston national forrest. I am willing to travel to have some fun tomorrow, but would really like to ride with some people, and not by myself ! Feel free to let me know if you all would like to meet up ! I will keep searching here to see if any rides are posted as well. Thanks and happy riding !

- Dave

618-520-4292

For all the curious....Skull Creek is a 3200 acre property that has a sand/gravel mining operation. We (TRH/Trail Riders of Houston) also have a lease for riding. Trails are a mix of sand and hardpack. Not much elevation change but we have a few technical climbs. As stated membership is capped at 250 families so there is a waiting list. A member can get you in as a guest for $15 per rider/day I am a member so it would be possible to do. pm me if interested. I have been absent from this site for a while but will start checking.

posted from my camper at the camp area of Skull Creek.

Edited by Jakeblues

For all the curious....Skull Creek is a 3200 acre property that has a sand/gravel mining operation. We (TRH/Trail Riders of Houston) also have a lease for riding. Trails are a mix of sand and hardpack. Not much elevation change but we have a few technical climbs. As stated membership is capped at 250 families so there is a waiting list. A member can get you in as a guest for $15 per rider/day I am a member so it would be possible to do. pm me if interested. I have been absent from this site for a while but will start checking.

posted from my camper at the camp area of Skull Creek.

Happy New Year Jake!