Jeep Wrangler Hauling Dirt Scooters

So recently I sold my truck to get a Jeep wrangler. I love the thing to death and take it everywhere but theres just one problem... I dont know what would be the best way to haul dirt bikes? Im so use to having that truckbed ive never had any experience carrying them any other way.

So what im having to do is decide between a trailer or one of those hitch haulers things. I think that the trailer would be better, but has anyone had any experience with one of those hitch haulers?

If i were to build a trailer how big should I make it? the most id ever carry would be three dirt bikes... how big of a trailer would I need to make to carry three?

Edited by MXBandit39

So recently I sold my truck to get a Jeep wrangler. I love the thing to death and take it everywhere but theres just one problem... I dont know what would be the best way to haul dirt bikes? Im so use to having that truckbed ive never had any experience carrying them any other way.

So what im having to do is decide between a trailer or one of those hitch haulers things. I think that the trailer would be better, but has anyone had any experience with one of those hitch haulers?

If i were to build a trailer how big should I make it? the most id ever carry would be three dirt bikes... how big of a trailer would I need to make to carry three?

Yes, on both counts. Get a utility trailer...multiple uses. The hitch mounted bike hauler will put a lot leveraged wear & tear, on the Wrangler. It may even make it very light steering(not a good thing). A 5 x 8 ft trailer should haul 2 bikes and your stuff quite comfortably. I'd be inclined to think you'll buy a "good" used trailer cheaper than building a new one (materials cost a lot), not to mention time(my time is valuable).

Hitch Haulers put a shit ton of tongue weight on. I haul 2 bikes with a Toyota Avalon. I would say get a hitch and 4x8 trailer.

Go with a trailer. A wrangler doesn't hardly have the room to carry a gear bag, cooler and tool box. Especially if you've got more than just you.

I bought a harbor freight 4x8 trailer on sale w/ a 20% off coupon. Out the door for under $250. Then added a front piece to pull the bike up against. I've hauled 3 full size bikes on it. 2 forward 1 backwards.

It'd be perfect to pull behind a wrangler.

I also believe that Jeeps use a unibody frame, so you don't want a lot of weight on the hitch. Shit gets bent and whatnot when you go of train tracks lol

get the trailer, it makes life easy, I run a cherokee too and the trailer is nice when you need to go to carry anything big or to take a bunch of crap to the dump. Having a trailer gives the best of two worlds, being able to carry big things when needed, and when not need you get the compactness of a car. I wanted a truck at first but then after getting a trailer having a truck just didn't make sense for what i need.

Dude I really dig my Wrangler unlimited. I have a hitch carrier and dont really care for it. I prefer a trailer myself for all the reasons mentioned above. The only downsides to a trailer is a place to store it and keeping it secure. A bunch of people have put all there cool stuff in a nice neat package for some scumbag to hitch up and drive off with. :angry: Most trailers disappear and are never recovered. If you came from a truck you will want a trailer sooner or later or will be looking for another truck just to get things done.Heck, Post some pictures of the wrangler and of your new trailer....we love jeeps, trailers and trucks but especially bikes around here..... :thumbsup:

Dude I really dig my Wrangler unlimited. I have a hitch carrier and dont really care for it. I prefer a trailer myself for all the reasons mentioned above. The only downsides to a trailer is a place to store it and keeping it secure. A bunch of people have put all there cool stuff in a nice neat package for some scumbag to hitch up and drive off with. :angry: Most trailers disappear and are never recovered. If you came from a truck you will want a trailer sooner or later or will be looking for another truck just to get things done.Heck, Post some pictures of the wrangler and of your new trailer....we love jeeps, trailers and trucks but especially bikes around here..... :thumbsup:

just get a harbor freight foldable open bed. Keep you stuff in your garage locked up and load up the trailer in the morning. It doesn't take too long to load up a trailer when you have everything packaged and ready to go the night before. Nothing fancy just something to serve a basic function.

No wrangler has a unibody.

I hope you bought a wrangler with a 4.0 inline 6 and not the little 2.5 4 banger..

I do want a hitch hauler for when I solo though. I'll get one..

of coruse dude! I woulnt have considered it if it wasnt. I made sure that it was a stick shift rubicon and a high output 6 banger. Even if it is a 2003 I have a jeep thats capable. Old but capable.

What do you guys think is the smallest trailer I Can get away with carrying three dirt bikes? and maby little bit if gear?

I Would like to get one a little shorter than 4x8 what about a 4x6?

Hitch Hauler takes TWICE the actual bike weight in tongue weight capacity because all of the weight is over the hitch. So hauling a 300lb bike requires a 600lb tongue weigth capacity.

Doubt a jeep as that. My full sized full time 4wd 4Runner was 700lb capactiy.

Need a 5' wide trailer to haul 3 bikes, I think. (I do) maybe someones got a way in a 4'.

Edited by MLB007