Sign in to follow this  

Need new sprockets and chain...

So, the guy who owned my bike before me never did any maintenance at all. So after about 15 hours of riding it, I had to adjust my chain every ride, and teeth were chipping off my sprocket. Its a 2006 KTM 125sx, so the stock sprocket and chain are renthal. I have a budget of about $50 for rear sprocket, $20 for front sprocket and $90 for my chain. Could someone help me out with picking the right combination. I ride mostly woods, and trails. Just dirt and sand mostly. But I do also ride a good amount of track. The stock gearing is 51T rear, 13T front, and 520x118 for the chain. I like it just how it is (i counted the teeth, and its accurate) Im afraid if I try to switch it up, I wont like it and then ill be stuck with it. So anyone can help me find a decent combo that will last at least a year (I do proper maintenance and lubing) Thank you

I didin't know D.I.D made sprockets? And also, whats the price on that kit? I dont need anything extremely strong as its a 125 smoker.

So, the guy who owned my bike before me never did any maintenance at all. So after about 15 hours of riding it, I had to adjust my chain every ride, and teeth were chipping off my sprocket. Its a 2006 KTM 125sx, so the stock sprocket and chain are renthal. I have a budget of about $50 for rear sprocket, $20 for front sprocket and $90 for my chain. Could someone help me out with picking the right combination. I ride mostly woods, and trails. Just dirt and sand mostly. But I do also ride a good amount of track. The stock gearing is 51T rear, 13T front, and 520x118 for the chain. I like it just how it is (i counted the teeth, and its accurate) Im afraid if I try to switch it up, I wont like it and then ill be stuck with it. So anyone can help me find a decent combo that will last at least a year (I do proper maintenance and lubing) Thank you

Go to Rocky Mountain Atv & Mx. They have whole kits = front sprocket, rear sprocket & chain or you can mix & match em which is what I did. My new sprockets & chain will be here tomorrow actually. I mostly trail ride = 01 KTM 300 exc. W/ both sprockets, chain & shipping it was just under $70. But I also don't buy the most expensive stuff. I am on a budget right now so I troed to go cheap. If I have 2 replace in a yr so be it, doesn't bother me... Happy riding :ride:

Dirt tricks Ironman sprocket and rk gb520mxu chain. Light and durable. You wont have to adjust the chain after every rides. I dont remember the last time i adjusted it lol. Con : price... But it worth it on the long run.

• Like 1

Go to Rocky Mountain Atv & Mx. They have whole kits = front sprocket, rear sprocket & chain or you can mix & match em which is what I did. My new sprockets & chain will be here tomorrow actually. I mostly trail ride = 01 KTM 300 exc. W/ both sprockets, chain & shipping it was just under $70. But I also don't buy the most expensive stuff. I am on a budget right now so I troed to go cheap. If I have 2 replace in a yr so be it, doesn't bother me... Happy riding :ride:

Hmm. Did you get the Primary Drive kit? And also the iron man sprocket is expensive! The chain looks decent though at $80. Anybody give some more insight? Or a ERT2 chain from D.I.D with 2 primary drive sprockets?

Hmm. Did you get the Primary Drive kit? And also the iron man sprocket is expensive! The chain looks decent though at $80. Anybody give some more insight? Or a ERT2 chain from D.I.D with 2 primary drive sprockets?

No, didn't get the kit. I did get front & rear Primary Drive sprockets but opted for a cheaper chain then the kit version...

I ordered the Primary Drive Rear 50t rear sprocket = $19.99. Primary Drive 14t front sprocket = $8.99. RK 520x118 chain = $28.99. Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube = $4.99. Shipping = $7. Total = $69.96

I am also by no means telling you 2 go the route I did. I am just on a budget this month cause the wife figured it would be a good idea to do a master bath remodel then get all new bedroom furniture. Oh well, small price 2 pay since I got all my toys :thumbsup:. Plus, if she ain't happy, then all I hear is her bitching lol

Just buy the best stuff, that you can afford. Don't be afraid to run steel sprockets. They don't look as cool, but on a budjet...they'll pass any hi-priced alloy stuff all day, given a rider's skillset.

Edited by bowhunter007
  • Like 1

I like Renthal Twinring sprockets. They outlast aluminum, and there not as heavy as a solid steel sprocket. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will probably be going with the SuperSprox steel rear sprocket, along with the SuperSprox front sprocket.

For the chain its probably a RK gb520mxu or a D.I.D ERT2, haven't decided on that one yet, but most likely the RK as its an Oring

I use a pro taper front 13t sprocket about 30$ and a JT 50tooth steel rear sprocket about 30$(lasts as long as any and its pretty fairly priced) and a pro taper gold(or watever color) series mx chain for about 40$ I paid 100 for my chain and sprockets every time and they last great. This set up lasts me a little over a year with me riding ALL OF THE TIME.

Regina chain, vortex front and 2 rear sprockets lasted a whole season last year on my 450. I rotated the two sprockets for gearing between various tracks I ride. I'm def not a slouch, that chain and sprockets took a beating and held up great! I was impressed and will never even think about switching to anything else. Plus vortex sprockets just look badass :thumbsup:

If you're happy with your gearing. Sealed chain and Ironman sprocket. Not a budget price initially, but will recover cost over the life.

Edited by ubu

I just bought same stuff. Ktm front $21.99 renthal rear $55.99 and did o ring chain $69.99 at ktm dealer. That's in your budget.

I've run every sprocket and chain over the past 30 years, and here's what i've learned. Everyone asks "what's the best sprockets" The basic answer is they are all good. Steel you will see some more longevity, and aluminum you will have max weight savings at the expense of some shorter lifespan. The #1 reason sprockets wear out prematurely is from running a cheap malaysian roller chain and/or lazy chain maintenence. For about the past 10 years I have been running a top of the line Regina ORN6 chain on all my bikes, and I have to say hands down the toughest chain you will ever buy period ! I'm honestly seeing triple my sprocket life as the Regina is extremly resistant to stretching. Excessive chain stretch is why sprockets wear out. I have about 30 hours on my KX500 which is running a ORN6 chain and Sunstar steel sprockets (and were talking a bike with 60 hp), and the sprocket teeth still look like new. So IMO guys, but whatever brand of sprocket you prefer, BUT do your sprockets a big favor and buy a Regina ORN6, you will adjust it once, and that's it you're done. Regina ORN6 chains are not cheap, but consider the fact that a cheap $40 roller chain will totally trash your $65 sprockets 3 times quicker than a $100 Regina chain, so do the math....

BTW, i'm NOT sponsored by Regina, I buy my own chains. i'm plugging The ORN6 chain because it is an excellent super tough chain.

Edited by Polar_Bus

I run Renthal front and rear sprocket (rear aluminum) and one of the heavy duty DID o ring chains. Its a great setup but if I were to change anything it would be to go with a lighter non ring chain. I am one that prefers lighter drive components

my sprockets have lasted since last summer just make sure you keep the right chain slack and your rollers are good

Edited by alpinestars799

Yeah, I do understand the chain has to be high quality. Rockymountain has discontinued the ORN6 anyways.

But I can buy the ORN6 on Bikebandit. It is $100. I can do that if I just buy some primary drive sprockets..?

I was wondering if Supersprox steel sprockets would be alright with the ERT2 chain? Or even the RK 520EXW Gold X-ring? Please give me some insight guys! Im ordering like today or tommorow.