Sign in to follow this  

Convert DR350 to Street Legal....

I may be crazy but is this a bike that I can put a speedo, signals, and a brake light on and have it be street legal? Would I need to add a battery to it? or will the internal system handle the additional load?

Kinda depends on what your state allows. Can you obtain a title and subsequently a tag for it where you live? As far as lights, you have only 75 watts total... Much less at low speed. The electrics are 12-14 volts AC whereas most automotive components are designed for DC. You can likely run a brake light but you'll have to add the wiring and switches and the front brake perch does not have the threaded holes for the Suzuki switch. Incandescent turn signals and a conventional horn would likely be more than it can handle but you might get by with LEDs and some kind of low current electonic horn. So, IF your state will title it and IF it can pass inspection the answer is yes, it can be street legal. Just don't get pulled over in North Carolina. LEOs there will run your VIN which will come back "not for highway use" and they'll write you a ticket even if its legally tagged in your home state. :angry:

Edited by TN2Wheeler

Kinda depends on what your state allows. Can you obtain a title and subsequently a tag for it where you live? As far as lights, you have only 75 watts total... Much less at low speed. The electrics are 12-14 volts AC whereas most automotive components are designed for DC. You can likely run a brake light but you'll have to add the wiring and switches and the front brake perch does not have the threaded holes for the Suzuki switch. Incandescent turn signals and a conventional horn would likely be more than it can handle but you might get by with LEDs and some kind of low current electonic horn. So, IF your state will title it and IF it can pass inspection the answer is yes, it can be street legal. Just don't get pulled over in North Carolina. LEOs there will run your VIN which will come back "not for highway use" and they'll write you a ticket even if its legally tagged in your home state. :angry:

SO.......... I should probably sell it and get a enduro model of some variety... is what you are saying....

SO.......... I should probably sell it and get a enduro model of some variety... is what you are saying....

That's what I'd do but others have done it successfully. As I said it depends a lot on what you'd have to do to get it registered and where you plan to ride it. Turn signals are not required on motorcycles in some states, that would make it easier.

From a quick peruse of the DMV website

"all lights, turn signals, reflectors, high/low beam

indicator, speedometer, rear view mirror, rims, tires"

are the main requirements, my title shows a plate number indicating that at one point it was plated, a requirement now to be grandfathered in.

Sorry plugeye not near Texas.

Hi Mate I have just converted my 99model Dr350 to be street lagal, it is not that difficulted. Tusk and Baja design both produce dual sport convertion kits and both kits do the job required. I went with Baja because it suited my bike better. Good luck screw the gas on and go hard!

I just bought the Tusk kit and it seems a bit cheap but it will get the job done. The kit didn't quite cover all of Washington State's DOL laws but for $200 more I was able to get it inspected and tagged. I was gonna go with the Baja kit but it was a little out of my price range and the Tusk kit will do, at least, for now.