Sign in to follow this  

How any of you are running the R cam?

After approx 14,000 miles, my stock 250x doesn't start as easily and feels a little down on power, so it's about time for a valve rebuild. I'm going to install a 250R cam at that time. I do like the power of my 250R, over the power of my 250x.

Used R cams can be had for around $70, and no other single change will improve your bike as much as a properly jetted R cam over a properly jetted X cam.

It turns the X into the bike that the engineers wanted to build, but had to tone it down for EPA, etc.

Yeah. I'm trying to get ideas for mine. It's stock right now and when I do all the mods I'd like to do them all at once. Pipe, Air box, cam, and rejet.

Used R cams can be had for around $70, and no other single change will improve your bike as much as a properly jetted R cam over a properly jetted X cam.

It turns the X into the bike that the engineers wanted to build, but had to tone it down for EPA, etc.

Easy fly boy. A stage two has a similar power curve to an R cam and the stage three is also similar to the R's power and torque curve with a little more on the top end. And yes, you can get a used R cam for a good price, but its also used and in most cases you dont know that cam's history or how it was used and potentially abused.

And realize the sacrifices you are making with a cam swap. The stock X cam wasn't ground down to get around EPA regulations. You can thank the air box, a 130 main jet, and a restrictive can for that one. The X cam was made for what the X was vuilt to do. Ride trails and woods.

The X cam gives good response in the low to mid range RPMs. Right were you want it for trails and woods. If you go with an R cam, you will give up some of that low end grunt for better top end. Bottom line is if you want the R cam, or stage two and three cams, to perform the best you need to keep the RPMs higher. Sometimes, but not always, trails and woods riders like the low to mid range power over the top end.

So, before dropping cash on something, first figure out what kind fo riding you like. Do you run in the tight woods of the northeast, or open desert of California. If its tight woods, try the CCC mods and drilling out the exhaust baffle a little bit. With those mods alone it will wake up your bike. Put on an aftermarket exhaust, bump up your main jet some more and it gets even better. I assume in Nevada your riding might be more towards the open desert or hills.

The point is, everyone's response is correct and anything is an improvement over the stock set up. But before doing any of them, you might want to look at where you ride and how you ride. As everyone knows this game can pretty expensive when making changes.

And finally..... I was just kidding about the flyboy comment. I am just jealous because you fly and I drive a rusted out 87 Maxima. If you aren't sure about what direction you want to go, a 70 dollar cam is a lot better than 200 to find the answer.

Edited by jwahrmund

Thanks and Yeah, here in Nevada I'm usually in high 3rd to 5th gear wide open once I get going. There's some really tight single track I mean tight to the point where Joshua trees are bordering you on both sides and your bars barely fit and I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. But I want to wake it up. I don't really have to do the R cam or anything if I do the air box, exhaust, and jet kit. I think just those alone will help a lot and I'll probably really gear it for the more wide open 4th and 5th gear trails too.

Okay, okay, someone is splitting hairs.

The OP asked if it made a noticeable difference. I am going to stick with a "yes" on that one.

I have to ride a 250 with an R cam or Stage one HC that I didn't vastly prefer to stock.

Okay, okay, someone is splitting hairs.

The OP asked if it made a noticeable difference. I am going to stick with a "yes" on that one.

I have to ride a 250 with an R cam or Stage one HC that I didn't vastly prefer to stock.

And dont get me wrong either. You are right. Its gonna wake her up without a doubt. I put a stage 3 in mine, did about an hour of break, and finally got on it at WOT. I literally had to pull over because i was giggling so much.

People dont give the X a lot of performance credibility, but with a few tweaks they are quite the bike.

I have an 05 with a '05 r cam in. You will feel it is free revving. To me the power is linear but revvs faster through the rpms.

I also have all the ccc mods with a full fmf pipe.

I don't feel that's its the fastest bike nor do i care to have a fast bike.

I ride single and a bit of mx. I'm no pro. But. Unless i ride sand or desert. There is no need to a ton of power.

The cam was well worth the 40 bucks. I just feel the bike breaths better.

Hello guys,, i'm the new kid on the block here,seen this question and have to reply.. I have an 04 250x bored x stroked to a 302,,it has a 06 r cam and it is a HUGE diffrence over the X.. The R cam has more lift and duration over the X cam... Hondas power up mods suggest using an R cam... You wont be disappointed!! :thumbsup: