Heavy duty timing chain?

I had recently built a Powroll XR218 motor and I picked up, via a middle man, a heavy duty timing chain along with other parts for the build. He called it a "heavy duty racing chain." I have searched all over the web and can't seem to find anything about it.

It appears more "heavy duty" as the links are not "peanut" shape but more "Oval track" shape. This heavier chain I hope would last a little longer as it seems that about every used XR200 needs one.

You can see in the picture, the chain that is hanging on the cam is the stock, and the larger "heavy duty" chain is installed.

Any ideas where to buy this chain from? or even what brand it is?

timing chain pic.jpg

I like the Tsubaki cam chains, half the price of the oem 200 chain and have some built up 200 engines with 20 years on them going strong. The cam chain is not a weak point on the 200 if kept adjusted properly. Change the engine oil religiously on a 200 and it will not give any problems.

This heavier chain I hope would last a little longer as it seems that about every used XR200 needs one.

My understanding is that chains don't usually stretch, they wear at the link pins. I'm not sure the beefier links would extend the life of the chain. :confused:

To the OP: The chain should have some identifying marks on the side plates that will help ID it. It lo oks like the old chain is DID, could be OEM. DID is a very high quality chain.

My understanding is that chains don't usually stretch, they wear at the link pins. I'm not sure the beefier links would extend the life of the chain. :confused:

Yes. Chains don't stretch, they become longer because of wear in the pins. So the longest lasting chains will be from a high quality manufacturer and IMO the Japanese excel. Powroll sells a HD J chain that would be my choice.

Also as tlrmark said frequent oil changing provides long chain life, not only on bikes but also for the cam chains on cars.

I'm not disagreeing with any thing that has been said about chain wear. I change my oil religiously. I think it would be fruitless to attempt to buy one from Powroll as my prior experience with them would suggest.

The real question is "can anyone tell me who makes this chain?"

I'm not sure if the one I removed was stock or DID replacement as it does say DID, but the one I installed says I believe along the lines of 25T or 25H.

Thank you guys for the help.

I'm not sure if the one I removed was stock or DID replacement as it does say DID...

I have a spare '96 XR200 engine in my garage. I'm almost positive the timing chain has never been changed (i.e., it's original) and it's a D.I.D.