Rebuilt the top end, found an O-ring on the ground. Any ideas?

The bikes an 06 CRF450R.

I'm not sure if this O-ring even belongs on my bike, but I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that is does. I've spent a lot of time combing through the parts lists/diagrams and haven't found anything that resembles this o-ring.

The following components were removed from my bike:

Carburator

Head

Cylinder

Stator Cover

-Stator removed from cover

-Fly wheel removed

-Cam chain

I know this might be a stretch, but I thought maybe someone would recognize this as a part that typically falls out when touching these components on the bike. The last thing I want is my motor to have problems after all the time/money I spent rebuilding the top end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

o-ring_zpsea44598b.jpg

looks like the o ring on the inspection plug on the stator cover

Only ring that size I'm seeing is on the fuel tank joint assy. Was it part of a gasket kit B? They come with some component parts o-ring kits that are hard to ID sometimes.

Looks like an o-ring that is on the water jacket on the head.

part 25

http://www.serviceho...006&fveh=162499

Good thinking, but I didn't removed that part from the head

looks like the o ring on the inspection plug on the stator cover

I took a look, the O-ring sealing the inspection plug is about twice the size of the orphan.

Only ring that size I'm seeing is on the fuel tank joint assy. Was it part of a gasket kit B? They come with some component parts o-ring kits that are hard to ID sometimes.

I didn't see any gaskets in Kit B that were close to 12mm. It does looks to be the right size for the fuel tubing/fittings.

It fits pretty nicely into the hot start receptacle on the carb, but I don't see that o-ring listed anywhere on the diagram. I'm thinking either fuel system or carb. it's a pretty small O-ring.

I could be completely off though. For all I know it could be to one of my sprinkler heads. :banghead:

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Just ride it! what does it matter if it breaks! Its good troubleshooting because you will then know it was important! And you can go from there

False alarm. Turns out it was an O-ring to the chain on my buddies banshee. I appreciate the help anyways.

Time to break it in! :ride: