Sign in to follow this  

Vertex piston come lip problem.

I am doing my top end and bought a vertex piston for my ktm250sx. For the life of me I couldn't get the circlips in the piston. It seemed like they were way too big and had too much spring to them. I finally got one in and it didn't look like it was seated very well in the grove. The old circlips went right in no troubles. So I measured them both and the circlips were 1 thousands too big. I had to go to my ktm dealer ad get the ktm circlips. . They fit fine. I am I convinced if I used the clips that came with the piston they would have jumped out on my at some point. I have never had a problem like this with weisco pistons.

Sorry about the subject line being messed up. I am on a stupid iPhone. It was vertex piston circlip problems.

Sorry about the subject line being messed up.

:lol: :lol:

I had an issue with my Wossner piston circlips as well, they were a real bi&ch to install, but once they were in they weren't about to come out. I had one clip go "sponge" during installation and hit me in my glasses. I spent the next 15 minutes on my hands and knees looking all around the garage floor for the damn thing, finally found it in my shirt pocket, I was astounded that it ended up there, I swear I heard it hit the floor on the other side of the garage :excuseme:

• Like 1

Yeah some of these cirlclips are like old cadillac coil springs.. Way to strong.. Its funny because I tried to put one in the piston on the bench and it was near impossible. I realized later that it is much easier to put both of them in while the piston was on the connecting rod. On weisco there so easy to get in. I pop one side in on the bench and the other side on the rod.

That is a strange one. I've used a lot of vertex pistons in just about every KTM engine size without ever seeing that. I would give Vertex a call and send the circlips back.

Joe...........