PICK UP YOUR DAMN TRASH

IMG_2605_zpsa11373c8.jpg

Are you referring to posted aarows scotty, or pit caution tape?

I was talking with a retiree recently that lives part time in loreto, made a comment about all the empty plastic water bottles everywhere. For sure everyone, pick up your trash!

Are you referring to posted aarows scotty, or pit caution tape?

I was talking with a retiree recently that lives part time in loreto, made a comment about all the empty plastic water bottles everywhere. For sure everyone, pick up your trash!

Prerunning a few years ago, I was behind a car on hwy 3 between Ojos and KM78 and all the occupants of said car (all locals) were tossing their trash out the window. I was appalled, but it's their country to litter. One would hope Americans have more consideration. Unfortunately, given all the time I've spent at various pit locations over the years, we're not any better.

This year at the San Fel 250, I walked from the Zoo Road crossing up to about RM16 and back. By the time I walked back, most of the people set up along the course were gone. The amount of trash left behind was incredible. There was a couple locals out there picking up aluminum and glass cans.

Four-wheeled teams are the biggest offenders, in my experience. Team owners/RoR have a responsibility to ensure their chase teams and pit crews clean up their trash.

As for course markings, ribbons, arrows, etc... some organizations could learn a few things from the Los Ancianos crew. They always have sweep riders go back over their marked courses to pull ribbon and arrows. I've done it myself... kinda fun and the right thing to do.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

If a club cares enough to have their own arrows they should care enough to take them down.

Our club tries to get them all after a race or ride, but we miss a few once in a while. I will always stop and pull those forgetten arrows when I see them. I hope the Shamrocks will do the same .

Back in the day one of the Team Green pits left a bunch of trash down by Loreto. Somebody took photos and Sal Fish made Mark Johnson, Team Green Manager, go back to personally remove that trash. Needless to say that pit crew got a few choice words from Mark, as those who know him might well imagine.

On a lighter note, I camp in Baja with locals and we have been disoriented and if it wasn't for the old Score ribbons left from past races, it would have ruined our trip. We always make it a point to leave our camping ground as if no one had been there. We separate the aluminium cans and bottles to give away later and carry our trash out. It's the least one can do after all.

There was a dump site half a mile from a small town S. of San Felipe. Everyone used it. Later they moved the dump further south and much further out into the desert. Everyone used it for a while. The road has not been maintained and has become so rough and long that people are now dumping their trash half way to the dump site. This was probably started by locals due to the price of gas and the risk of getting stranded in an old car way out in the desert. This third site is probably now used by others unknowingly thinking that is the dump spot. At the distant dump site, the final 1/4 mile to the big pit has become extra rough so now there is a new dump site before the dump pit. It's a mess.

I think getting all twisted about some markers and ribbons is over the top. Sure we all take down stuff but I mean really find something to do with your time and if the ribbons bother you go take them down.

Trash sucks anywhere and who ever said 4 wheel teams are the worst is for sure wrong.... like someone else said it is a huge problem that some of the people that are from Mexico have no consideration about leaving or throwing trash where ever they are done with it. Countless times I ride routes and follow the beer cans thrown out and have a couple times been behind locals that are throwing trash out the window as they drive.

I think the trash thing along with the booby trap making needs education to show it is wrong. If the local police prosecuted 3 booby trap makers this would start the changing of the tides.

I'm a 4 wheel team, I'm a moto guy, I'm a part time Baja resident by time spent and I get twisted about stuff too but I get tired of the internet whining just as much.

Have a nice day

Poor response PAB, I picked up after one of the BBB's around CABRAS and Colonet. Shitloads of ribbon sept 2011.

To say "we all pick up after ourselves" or whatever is false. SCORE IS guilty and that's why you're racing the beach rocks at Erendira and through town instead of the inland ranches.

Mira Chingon- I personally cleaned up over 40 miles of SCORE trash from LLANO Colorado to Santo Tomas in spring of 2012.

The entrance to Window Rock was strewn w ribbon on April 28.

the shame-rocks have left substantial ribbons and markers behind for the past 2 years. I have picked up my last one.

I know you and your crew are good stewards of Baja, so please realize that if any tourist group leaves traces of their footprint behind, it reflects poorly and directly on your ability to use these lands in the future.

I was upset before. then I was pissed, now I'm finding peace in my happy place

I think getting all twisted about some markers and ribbons is over the top. Sure we all take down stuff but I mean really find something to do with your time and if the ribbons bother you go take them down.

Trash sucks anywhere and who ever said 4 wheel teams are the worst is for sure wrong.... like someone else said it is a huge problem that some of the people that are from Mexico have no consideration about leaving or throwing trash where ever they are done with it. Countless times I ride routes and follow the beer cans thrown out and have a couple times been behind locals that are throwing trash out the window as they drive.

I think the trash thing along with the booby trap making needs education to show it is wrong. If the local police prosecuted 3 booby trap makers this would start the changing of the tides.

I'm a 4 wheel team, I'm a moto guy, I'm a part time Baja resident by time spent and I get twisted about stuff too but I get tired of the internet whining just as much.

Have a nice day

The DA is one of the very rare exceptions. You run a tight ship with good, respectful folks. But let's be honest - there's a lot of bad seeds out there. There are far more personnel associated with four-wheeled teams at SCORE races than bike/quad teams. Inherently, this results in a lot more crap left behind at pit locations and elsewhere. I hear ya though... it's a group effort. Pack it in, pack it out. Can someone translate that into Spanish?

Edited by Justin Hambleton

. . . . please realize that if any tourist group leaves traces of their footprint behind, it reflects poorly and directly on your ability to use these lands in the future.

Yep, and in the end, it does't matter who left the trash, it only matters who gets blamed for it.

I think race arrows are fine and should be left up, makes for a fun place to push to prepare for races. Everything else should be picked up tho.

I think race arrows are fine and should be left up, makes for a fun place to push to prepare for races. Everything else should be picked up tho.

Totally... because Baja is OUR race course.

Baja is my year round playground. Leaving signs up is total bullsh**. Just because you paid an entry fee to abuse the land for a few days does not give you the right to leave any trace after you scoot back to the U.S. For us year round riders in Baja the races bring some local excitement, but many scars as well.

It's like a teeter-totter. When the interest in the environment becomes stronger than the money and glory brought in by the races, the land will be closed. Oh, there will always be races in Baja just like in CA, but not on the scale they are now. The racers will be confined to their own personal Dante's Inferno, probably Matomi wash. It's so predictable. There is actually a history of environmental closure in Baja that goes back over twenty years that I know of.

Personally, I don't mind a sign here and there, but I don't appreciate once smooth roads that now have endless three foot whoops. These whoops have, in effect, closed off areas for recreation we once had. The signs actually say who is doing the damage.

Agreed BR, just worrying about the days when our friendly local ranchers are not so friendly to us recreational guys.

Yep, leaving race arrows up is total bullshit, even from score

"Poor response PAB, I picked up after one of the BBB's around CABRAS and Colonet. Shitloads of ribbon sept 2011. To say "we all pick up after ourselves" or whatever is false."

Well, seeing that I was the one who cleaned BBBash trail markers every year I'm going to disagree there was "shitloads".

One of the years I stayed after the ride and re-rode the entire thing striping it, another I went a week later, and one of the years (possibly the one you claim to have cleaned up after us) I wasn't able to get down for about 3 weeks.

But, I learned to ride with the Los Ancianos in the OFN days and some of the grumpiest m'er f'ers that ever have been Anciano members (or not - OFN) were like mentors (explains a lot about me I think) and i learned how to do it properly, I clean up, absolutely.

Now, there are some trails I've made that I on purpose left some markers (never at a trail head) so the trail remained visible but those are pretty well hidden trails, not on common ground, and I also leave many of the trail name signs (again pretty well hidden and remote and seldom seen) because I think trail names are fun and it benefits all who find the trails and ride them. It should add a :-) to those who see 'em.

Also, I too have removed mega loads of other groups markers over the many many years I've ridden Baja.

I offered to Sal years back to strip his courses for $1 per mile, he declined, but I still have removed mega of them.

I also had a rancher chase me down with the Ojos cops one day years back after I was cleaning another leprechaun clubs ride markers from the pine forest including brown painting over the orange arrows that club had painted on pine trees for their ride. Of course when I explained what I was doing and the cops saw a bag of markers and my paint cans in my support truck they were thankful.

And before the BBBash rides and my name (my BBMoto are what made the BBBash rides happen) are drug thru the mud some more I will say that typically right after the BBB's took place are 2 other big coastal rides that take place and they mark trail as well, but they do not remove markers. I believe those other groups markers are blamed on me and the BBB simply because of timing and publicity.

I have really gotten used to being a blame target. I was tired of it long ago and really makes these "fun" rides not so fun anymore so I'll take myself out of it all. The Bash is no more. I'll continue to make fun trails but not destroy them with lots of riders, just keep 'em stealth and we'll roost 'em on Baja Bound Moto rides, with buddies, and with my trail-making son.

You're welcome.

Edited by BajaBoundMoto

RIP BBBash. :cool:

Tim, do you remember what you asked me that first day on BBB 1? My answer was, "I followed the pink ribbons". Trust me they were far and few between because you were picking them as you went... PAB's style of almost getting them into his jacket pocket saved my day. Good time and a great memory! Good things come and go I will always be proud to say I was there.

mtz

Big props tim! Not only have i seen you take down a couple markers, i even saw you erase tire tracks once

"Poor response PAB, I picked up after one of the BBB's around CABRAS and Colonet. Shitloads of ribbon sept 2011. To say "we all pick up after ourselves" or whatever is false."

Well, seeing that I was the one who cleaned BBBash trail markers every year I'm going to disagree there was "shitloads".

One of the years I stayed after the ride and re-rode the entire thing striping it, another I went a week later, and one of the years (possibly the one you claim to have cleaned up after us) I wasn't able to get down for about 3 weeks.

But, I learned to ride with the Los Ancianos in the OFN days and some of the grumpiest m'er f'ers that ever have been Anciano members (or not - OFN) were like mentors (explains a lot about me I think) and i learned how to do it properly, I clean up, absolutely.

Now, there are some trails I've made that I on purpose left some markers (never at a trail head) so the trail remained visible but those are pretty well hidden trails, not on common ground, and I also leave many of the trail name signs (again pretty well hidden and remote and seldom seen) because I think trail names are fun and it benefits all who find the trails and ride them. It should add a :-) to those who see 'em.

Also, I too have removed mega loads of other groups markers over the many many years I've ridden Baja.

I offered to Sal years back to strip his courses for $1 per mile, he declined, but I still have removed mega of them.

I also had a rancher chase me down with the Ojos cops one day years back after I was cleaning another leprechaun clubs ride markers from the pine forest including brown painting over the orange arrows that club had painted on pine trees for their ride. Of course when I explained what I was doing and the cops saw a bag of markers and my paint cans in my support truck they were thankful.

And before the BBBash rides and my name (my BBMoto are what made the BBBash rides happen) are drug thru the mud some more I will say that typically right after the BBB's took place are 2 other big coastal rides that take place and they mark trail as well, but they do not remove markers. I believe those other groups markers are blamed on me and the BBB simply because of timing and publicity.

I have really gotten used to being a blame target. I was tired of it long ago and really makes these "fun" rides not so fun anymore so I'll take myself out of it all. The Bash is no more. I'll continue to make fun trails but not destroy them with lots of riders, just keep 'em stealth and we'll roost 'em on Baja Bound Moto rides, with buddies, and with my trail-making son.

You're welcome.

Dido Tim! I was on my way back yesterday from Ojos on the El Compadre Trail and about half way back where you hit some pine trees I stopped to let others catchup and I saw an old SCORE marker pinned to a pine tree, it must have been at least ten years old, it had no color left and just looked tan and black. I can't remember the course ever going that way so some one other than score must have put it there but I found it kind of funny and it brought a smile to my face. I can't say for sure but I must have ridden that road at least a hundred times and never saw it.

I've cleaned trails before and I know what a pain it is and how long it takes but if every ride has a couple of sweepers and an extra back pack mounted on their chest, they should be picking everything up the same day they ride the trail. Tim you do a great job and we all know who leaves the garbage, signs and ribbons......You and your team are one of the good ones, don't change!

RAK