Sign in to follow this  

Harescrambles, Enduro Bar width?

Ok so I need to measure mine and add to post (do tomorrow) but I run a 01 CR250 with a motocross Renthal Jeff Stanton bend if I recall. Seem it's a bit wider than others but I can't cut them down at all or the Tusk bark busters will not fit.

Maybe I need a different style buster and bar setup. Like to be hitting a few less trees. Sure I will loose some leverage, maybe take a 1/4 of each side then try (max probably 1/2 each side) and see if notice but need to find a bark buster combo that will allow.

Anyone know what overall width there running.so I can compare or bark busters that allow of a smaller width bar?

Oh I race Vet A, generally a top 5 finisher, so not the fastest but not trail riding either. I just see some guys blowing through the single track with tight trees faster and smoother than if feels like I am at times and loosing some ground which I have to make up on the MX track or the open areas.

Thanks and Regards!

• Like 1

update: - maybe this is not so much technic but hardware - sorry if it's in the wrong section!

my bar width is 32"

the widest part of my bark busters though is 35"

I just run standard Tusk barkbuster without roost/hand guards, would maybe try a pair of Cycra's with handguards if they can be installed on narrower bars. I run shorty levers so don't need them to bulge out for levers.

any thoughts?

Thanks guys kind of what I figured, time to work up a narrower setup.

I assume you guys just cut yours down 2" on each side

Edited by Aspired

I just put ProTaper minis back on my bike(roughly 28" wide). This is the 3rd bike they've been on...They're great for point & scoot through the trees. The steering is a bit twitchy @ WOT across rough terrain(no stabilizer).

I use pro taper woods high bars which are 30 inches, I cut a set down to 28 once and couldn't stand it in the faster stuff I've found 30 or 30.5 is the best width for me. You could cut down to 30 and if you want more after that go on to the 28 the others recommended

I just put ProTaper minis back on my bike(roughly 28" wide). This is the 3rd bike they've been on...They're great for point & scoot through the trees. The steering is a bit twitchy @ WOT across rough terrain(no stabilizer).

Do the mini's let your hanguards fit well, I've read they take the width out of the center of the bar.

Mini's huh now there is a idea I never would have looked into. narrow and high and less sweep

I plan on buying another pare of the bars I have, maybe used to experiment with 1/2" on each end at a time.

I run my busters low but if I run them high and more straight they should accommodate less width so will give it a go here and see if I can find a likeable setup before the next race.

thanks!

Do the mini's let your hanguards fit well, I've read they take the width out of the center of the bar.

I haven't had any trouble mounting handguards on them.
  • Like 1

My bars are about 30.5" before barkbusters. But, when I get a new bike, I'm going to just run stock length, I see no need for cut bars, even in the tight stuff. And it just slows me down in the fast stuff.

I run Moose Flex mini bars (750mm wide vs 800mm) and Moose handguards. Moose makes their budget h-guards in a mini size. Everything bolts up nice and easy.

I run 30" with cycra brp moto clamp mounted set up. Could go to 29" with that set up. I have a super cool set of renthals at 28 I should sell, way too narrow IMO but I'm a bigger guy and it just seemed awkward in anything other than the tight enduro popples.

Update:

I took 1/2" off each end of my bars then I noticed that the bar expander inserts from my last pair did not have a flanges on the end like the Tusk ones seem to, switched to the other inserts so the bark buster now rests right up against the bar end. Each insert flange was about 1/4"

I am now down to 32 1/2" at the widest part of the bark busters, should give me a bit more wiggle room without really any loss of control.

Thanks everyone for your input it was greatly appreciated!

does your thumb meat blister against the grip hat ? from trying to be more inward? is so a bar cut, if not I wouldn't cut much if any.unless tight trees is all you ride.

I have long felt that 29.5" bars are the best bet for offroad racing. This doesn't count the bark busters. I have used as short as 28.8" and as wide as 31" in "Modern" times. Think 29.5" is too narrow? Get down and give me 10 pushups stopping on last one. Have someone measure your hands outside of palm to outside of palm. I be this measurement is narrower than 29". Much wider and you lose strength and leverage from your shoulders to the bars. Cancelling out any extra leverage from wider bars. Scott Summers, as big as he was, ran 28" bars on his big XR600Rs.

Edited by Dwight_Rudder

I have long felt that 29.5" bars are the best bet for offroad racing. This doesn't count the bark busters. I have used as short as 28.8" and as wide as 31" in "Modern" times. Think 29.5" is too narrow? Get down and give me 10 pushups stopping on last one. Have someone measure your hands outside of palm to outside of palm. I be this measurement is narrower than 29". Much wider and you lose strength and leverage from your shoulders to the bars. Cancelling out any extra leverage from wider bars. Scott Summers, as big as he was, ran 28" bars on his big XR600Rs.

What specific bars are you using Dwight? Thanks.