500 2t....Manageable?

So I've never ridden a 500 2t.

What are they like to ride? Can your riding style be adjusted to make the bikes more manageable? Can they easily be short-shifted? What about porting/flywheel weights etc in an attempt to spread out the power and make it more manageable?

I was just thinking about this approach to building a conversion.

yes they can be ridden just fine. Folks act like they are some sort of fire breathing monster...they're not. They have gobs of hp right off the bottom, and vibrate like crazy

Folks act like they are some sort of fire breathing monster...they're not.

Yea sure as long as you don't go beyond 1/2 throttle.

Myself, own a 2001 KX500, and the power ouput is specifically subject to the riders right wrist. For an experienced, mature and respectfull of the power type rider, they are super fun and versatile. BUT if you're a novice and get cocky with the throttle at the wrong time you WILL end up in the ER . They put out about 58 hp bone stock (a 125 is about 33 hp), and they hit brutally HARD in the low to midrange and that can be fun (if your ready and pointed in the right direction) and it can be downright scary (if your not ready) . You have not felt the true rush of 2 stroke raw power until you've held a CR/KX500 truly WFO ... trust me you will be shaking the first time !

Edited by Polar_Bus

I owned a KX500 for several yrs b4 I got out of riding 5 yrs ago (Helped the wife raise our newborn son @ the time.) & man, now I wish I would of NEVER sold that bike. Now that I am back into riding again I settled for a KTM 300 exc 2t. Like the post above mine, respect em & you will be fine. TONS of power. Mine wasn't stock though. I had motor work done & changed the gearing on it to make it faster (Young & dumb). Even stock they are scary fast @ times. Got to remember, they will only go as fast as you make em

Edited by stevekx500

I ride in the woods with a couple guys who have CR500s. They all have put flywheel weights on them and short shift and do quite well with them, but when we go race an enduro, they race either a KTM 300XC-W or a Yami WR450. For a race, especially in the back half when they're getting tired, they prefer not to try to manage too much power.

Manageable? That up to you....like everyone said, it's all about throttle control. I've had several big bores and they all are fun in the right conditions. They have more than enough torque to be short shifted. And the flywheel weight helps even more.

Yeah the out of control, arm ripping, death machine description can be true if you don't respect it. You will eventfully adjust to the riding style. Awesome bikes if you get them in straightaways or wide open. I always rode mine a gear higher with no issues.

He kx is more manageable as it had a power valve. The cr500 does not. Just make sure it's pointe where you want it to go when you hit it.

Hp is only a twist of the throttle away. So dont twist so much. But then wht bother? You get it for the hp or the bragging rights.

I guess I was wondering because it seems like you could get one ported more for all around power...really try to flatten out the torque curve, rather than for all out arm-ripping power. You could take it a step further and put a rekluse clutch and a big FWW on it.

If you did this it seems like you could ride it kind of like a 450. Thoughts?

I guess I was wondering because it seems like you could get one ported more for all around power...really try to flatten out the torque curve, rather than for all out arm-ripping power. You could take it a step further and put a rekluse clutch and a big FWW on it.

If you did this it seems like you could ride it kind of like a 450. Thoughts?

I have a steahly 15oz fww on mine and it works awesome at mellowing out the massive hit on the bottom end. I can even ride my 500 in the woods with decent sucess but constantly riding the clutch in the tighter woods eventually wears you out. All the 500's want to do is pull like a freight train and it physically beats you up.

These guys are correct a 500 can be used in about any situation , but be ready when you twist it cause it is going to go somewhere . Flyweights and other mods can make them more manageable , but i fine that more throttle controle is a blessing on it . On there original design of there frames they handle dated and as is the suspension to apoint but they make for good trail bikes once used to them . They are a blast to ride and can be lethal inthe right hands i have a kx 500 currently and i have to say i love the powr it puts out but if you arent aware of it it will get u smoked !!!

They are really not as fast as people say. Stock Cr500s make 58ish Horsepower. Stock KTM 250 2 strokes make 50 horsepower.

They are really not as fast as people say. Stock Cr500s make 58ish Horsepower. Stock KTM 250 2 strokes make 50 horsepower.

If horsepower is all your after, just track down an 89/90 KTM 500. Stock is low to mid 60s in the horsepower department, with no power valve. Considering stock 450s are just recently breaking 50 hp, the KTM was doing pretty good being 23 years older. Granted the 450 is much more manageable, there is a serious fun factor that goes along with the big bores. If I could have been able to afford more than one bike at the time I had my KTM 500 DXC, I would have never given it up.

Edited by bronkorob

If horsepower is all your after, just track down an 89/90 KTM 500. Stock is low to mid 60s in the horsepower department, with no power valve. Considering stock 450s are just recently breaking 50 hp, the KTM was doing pretty good being 23 years older. Granted the 450 is much more manageable, there is a serious fun factor that goes along with the big bores. If I could have been able to afford more than one bike at the time I had my KTM 500 DXC, I would have never given it up.

60 hp and no powervalve? Thats from back when men were men lol. Wow I bet that thing had a J curve on the Dyno.

They're quite manageble to ride. As others have said it's all in how you twist the throttle. They can be intimidating at first and I wouldn't recommend one for an inexperienced rider. But once you've got some riding experience and a little time riding one you'll find them a lot of fun to ride.

60 hp and no powervalve? Thats from back when men were men lol. Wow I bet that thing had a J curve on the Dyno.

Cr500's don't have a power valve