2013 KTM 85SXS Crank Failure

I have a 2013 85SXS with 5.9 hours on the bike. Motor seized a week and a half ago while my son was riding it. Motor torn apart and was told the crank is seized. Also told the bottom part of the power valve was not connected which led to the motor overheating causing it to seize. I don't get it, bike seemed to run great and I don't see how this could have happened but I don't really understand all the ins and outs of the power valve. No work has ever been done to the bike, completely stock and basically almost brand new with just under 6 hours. My son also has a 2012 85SXS and he says the 13 bike runs better than the 2012 so he has something to compare the bike to. Crank is on backorder so I'm upset, especially for the money I paid for these bikes. I'm beyond mituculous with my bikes and the maintenance and air filter changed every ride and it's replaced correctly with no dirt ingestion. I've owend 6 KTM's in the last 2 1/12 years with zero problems until the 85.

Anyone had any luck from the manufacturer for not having the bike for 2 months due to defect and lack of parts available? Any suggestions?

Edited by C130

Send the crank to TDC 2 Stroke Performance for a rebuild.

if you have a verifiable 5.9 hours on the bike, id ask your dealer to go to bat for you with ktm. race bike or not, with less than 6 hours on a bike i think ktm may play ball with you if your dealer plays nice. unlike the japs, ktm seems to allow a little wiggle room with issues like that.

Edited by mynewcr250

Yeah, the guy with a 250xc with 25 hrs on it it blew up and KTM backed him up. Get in touch with ktm

them little bikes run at rediculous rpm. wouldnt hurt to use extra oil next time around

Edited by harryhandshake

My son raced his 07' 85sx for 5 years on the stock crank. Running 52:1 with Golden Spectro and pump gas. It even blew the radiator cap during a race once, at a sand track, ran 4 laps blowing coolant out the over flow untill it had none left to let go and never had any trouble with it. I put on a new cap, filled it with coolant and he raced his second moto. He rode that bike untill he was 5'5" and weighted 120lbs. I don't know what the trouble could be but I would have to think it is not a normal KTM problem. I would start with taking it to the shop and trying to get some help from KTM.

them little bikes run at rediculous rpm. wouldnt hurt to use extra oil next time around

I run them at 32:1 so that should be more than enough and hasn't caused any issues due to oil. Recommended is 40:1. Also running 50/50 VP C12 and Shell 93. Supposedly it was a bad power valve which has happened before on some of the 2013 bikes. Crank is on back order for at least 30 days.

Bikes are maintained meticulously with air filter changed every ride, air box washed out after every ride and kept spotless, oil changed, etc. I've never had one issue due to maintenance and never not started or finished a race due to bike problems and that was with one bike total.

Edited by C130

if you have a verifiable 5.9 hours on the bike, id ask your dealer to go to bat for you with ktm. race bike or not, with less than 6 hours on a bike i think ktm may play ball with you if your dealer plays nice. unlike the japs, ktm seems to allow a little wiggle room with issues like that.

KTM is know for standing behind their products... Your dealer should be going to bat for you on this one... but you should be calling KTM yourself. Keep on them, and they will take care of it. Will it happen as fast as you want.... no... Keep contacting KTM and your dealer to get relief,

Bike is already rebuilt and ready to be picked up. KTM stood behind the bike as I thought and hoped they would so I'm a happy customer. I was frustrated with the backorder of the cranks but thanks to Munn Racing they had some on order and they got one in so they took care of me and I didn't have to wait. I can't say enough about Munn as they have taken care of me on numerous occasions. I know stuff happens and it's frustrating but as long as the manufacturer stands behind their product I'll be a customer. I will give KTM credit for taking care of the situation but the dealer has a huge part of it in my opinion also. I didn't buy the bike from Munn due to him not having any 2013 85's at the time and the 85SXS is what I really wanted and he wasn't getting in any more that were not already sold. I've bought a couple of bike from Munn and lots of parts but this particualr bike was bought out of state. Another good thing about KTM was they told me I could take it to any KTM dealership in the country.

Thanks for everyones suggestions, appreciate the information. I'm so meticulous with my bikes I just get frustrated when I spend so much money on a new top of the line bike and have major issues so quick. Thanks to KTM for backing up their product as I think they should but doesn't always happen with some bikes.

Edited by C130

good thing you didnt buy a jap bike lol

they'd tell you "tough shit".

While I'd rather not have any issues on new bikes I will say KTM seems to stand behind there products. I've never heard of anyone else doing this. Only bikes I've had any trouble with have been the 85's but after our 2012 was rebuilt its been great.

A friend had a brand new Kawasaki 85 and had trouble and got no help at all. Same with another friend with a Yamaha 450, no help. I don't think they called the manufacturer, only the dealer which I don't even think really tried.

I put on a new cap, filled it with coolant and he raced his second moto.

Hmmm... how is it possible to fill with new coolant with the new cap on? is it special order? can i get some?

just joking :p:P