Sign in to follow this  

2010/2011 piston + cylinder

Hello,

I am rebuilding my 2011 kxf250.

Needed a new piston+cylinder so I ordered a cylinderworks kit (standard bore + vertex pro replica piston).

After receiving the parts I noticed on the box it states the piston is designed for a 2010.

So I checked my order and it seems the kits for 2011 and 2010 have the same ordering number but when I check the order numbers for only the pistons they are different...

Result: I am confused.

Is there anyone who can tell me with certainty that the piston/cylinder of a 2010 and 2011 are interchangeable?

Or should I check piston- valve clearance just to be sure?

(I 'd rather not as I only saw this after I had put the engine together.. :rolleyes: )

Thanks,

Jeroen

go to my posts and look for one title 2011 mod motor build / polish trans / cam journal - something to that effect in there will be all the info u need.

ans is yes in short u can use it but take a look at the post and feel free to bump it up ;)

Laid up after surgery so I had time to explore. Part #s for the pistons are different both OEM and aftermarket Vertex for the 10 and 11 piston. If anything I would guess the 10 would give more clearance because the 11 had higher compression, but that wouldn't be good enough for me. I would call cylinderworks directly to see what's up. A tech should be able to answer your question, then please let us know. The 10 and 11 cylinders are different PNs OEM, too. I would be confused, too, and a little. . . annoyed. At the very least they could QC their labeling. You might also check the PN stamped on the piston to see if they just screwed up the box. Is there a PN on the box, by chance?

go to my posts and look for one title 2011 mod motor build / polish trans / cam journal - something to that effect in there will be all the info u need.

ans is yes in short u can use it but take a look at the post and feel free to bump it up ;)

I will do that too Smallfry, thanks!

Laid up after surgery so I had time to explore. Part #s for the pistons are different both OEM and aftermarket Vertex for the 10 and 11 piston. If anything I would guess the 10 would give more clearance because the 11 had higher compression, but that wouldn't be good enough for me. I would call cylinderworks directly to see what's up. A tech should be able to answer your question, then please let us know. The 10 and 11 cylinders are different PNs OEM, too. I would be confused, too, and a little. . . annoyed. At the very least they could QC their labeling. You might also check the PN stamped on the piston to see if they just screwed up the box. Is there a PN on the box, by chance?

right on with what the CP piston engineer told me. I got no where with talking to the tech at cylinder works he said cycl had diff numbers and wouldn't work and i was like sometimes things have diff numbers but still work on differnt model bikes asked what the difference was and he couldn't tell me. CP guy got with a engineer and got back to me in same day :) I like useing CP or JE pistons but I bought a bike with the pro circuit JE piston in it and it was cracked but still together causeing the crank case to presurize and leak.

Smallfry, you are too good! So that confirms the 10 piston will work just fine with a minute drop in compression. Well done. I would still be pissed if I got the wrong piston, unless it was clear when I ordered it.

Smallfry, you are too good! So that confirms the 10 piston will work just fine with a minute drop in compression. Well done. I would still be pissed if I got the wrong piston, unless it was clear when I ordered it.

I have a 2010 cylinder, head and piston on my 11 bottom end everything is bolt and go besides the head you have to drill and tap for the temp sensor.

well i would be carefull with any 09 -10 piston in the 11 I would say yes it prob would work however with a high comp like a 14: something the piston is going to dish that goes up on the piston in other words the top of the piston will be higher and groves cut more for the valve clearence and in return you get less area between the piston and the cyl head and got more comp with this style piston you might run into issues on useing piston from diff year but im not sure all i can say is I have a 13:5:1 CP 09-10 piston and they said it would work

smallfry860 thx for the info!

It's a standard vertex oem replica piston (but forged) so it shouldn't be a problem.

However, just to be sure I will check the piston to valve clearance.

I know myself, would keep on worrying about my freshly build engine killing my valves.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Went to my local kawasaki dealer yesterday to get some fresh air filters and asked him.

The only thing that kawasaki changed is the shape of the top of the piston.

This should creat a 'better' shape of combustion chamber.

He told me he would never do it for a customer but it works.

(Which is bullshit as I am a novice rider and 0.5 loss in hp won't bother me + kawasaki changes their pistons almost each year probably just to be able to sell a 'new special' piston...)

High compression pistons will probably work fine too but you should always check the piston to valve clearances with a HC piston.

Anyway she fired up after the 2nd kick and is running stronger then ever thanks for the help :)

Edited by JeroenM