Sign in to follow this  

Tripple Clamp Torque Settings! HELP!

ive gotta 02 and im putting the forks back on today... dont have a manual so whats the proper torque settings on the upper and lower tripple clamps? thanks

ive gotta 02 and im putting the forks back on today... dont have a manual so whats the proper torque settings on the upper and lower tripple clamps? thanks

Lower= 15ft lbs

Upper= 16ft lbs

I have an '02 and I have the '02-'03 service manual. Some of the torque specs throughtout the bike have the '02 much tighter then the '03. For example the manual will say torque part XYZ to 59 lbf-ft (after '02 44 lbf-ft)

I almost always use the "after '02 spec" as the those specs are much more reasonable.

Another good example is the manual has '02 oil drain bolts torque spec at 16 lbf-ft. Thats WAY to tight. I tighten my drain bolts with a 1/4' drive ratchet that is the same size as the palm of my hand and I am torquing them by feel to probably about 8-9 lbs and my bike has never leaked a drop (except for the couple times I let a dealer touch it after I first bought it)

For the triple clamps manual calls out

Lower= 14ft lbs

Upper= 16ft lbs

I recently installed new triple clamps and I torqued both the lower and upper to 14ft lbs. I also dabed a small amount of grease on the bolts before I installed them