Hard to find neutral-clutch slips

Got my moto up and running and find it was shifting kinda hard from 1st to 2nd. After a little riding and adjusting the clutch cable it got a little better but ill be damned if I can get it to go into neutral. Shifts very hard when stopped and clutch lever is at least 3/4 out before it grabs so I wouldnt think it is adjusted wrong. Also found out my clutch slips as well (1st time riding after I bought it). It finds neutral fine if motor is off. Could some of the plates be sticking? Clutch slipping cause any of this? Im up for any advice.....

Well I did put cheapy car oil in it after assembling my top end haha, but that was more or less to run it and flush the motor as I call it. Got Amsoil coming today from my dealer buddy. Maybe that cheap shit is affecting the clutch.

Ron is right about the oil ... Use good oil and it will shift wayyy smoother . I tried shitty oil in my old crf150f and it made shifting almost unbearable and almost impossible to find neutral

Edited by tylerslj

Sounds like your steel clutch plates are warped

This normally happens from overheating (clutch abuse)

Its causes the double problem of slippage and difficulty in finding neutral with engine running

Take plates out and check them (very easy on the DRZ)

They will be 'dished' ie they will no longer be flat

I've had it happen on a couple of other bikes with the exact same symptoms

Edited by GuyGraham

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like your steel clutch plates are warped

This normally happens from overheating (clutch abuse)

Its causes the double problem of slippage and difficulty in finding neutral with engine running

Take plates out and check them (very easy on the DRZ)

They will be 'dished' ie they will no longer be flat

I've had it happen on a couple of other bikes with the exact same symptoms

I am having this problem too, every time I try to shift to neutral, it goes up into second. How expensive is it to replace th clutch plates?

I am having this problem too, every time I try to shift to neutral, it goes up into second. How expensive is it to replace th clutch plates?

Replacing the drive plates (steels) when needed is not too bad.. $6 each or so.. But I've never seen a DRZ set warped.. Im sure it happens... but it's not common.

As stated it's easy to check, so do so.. There is a write up in the FAQ that has the procedure and specs

Well I did put cheapy car oil in it after assembling my top end haha, but that was more or less to run it and flush the motor as I call it. Got Amsoil coming today from my dealer buddy. Maybe that cheap shit is affecting the clutch.

Most car oils have friction modifiers (additives) that are meant for vehicles that don't have wet clutches....

Using such oils in a wet clutch motorcycle engine is not a good practice and can cause your clutch plates to turn to junk.....

Always use motorcycle specific oils in your DRZ ...

Replacing the drive plates (steels) when needed is not too bad.. $6 each or so.. But I've never seen a DRZ set warped.. Im sure it happens... but it's not common.

As stated it's easy to check, so do so.. There is a write up in the FAQ that has the procedure and specs

Ok cool...I'm starting to believe its just an oil issue because if the drive plates were warped, wouldn't it be difficult to get into neutral every time? I have noticed that sometimes, it shifts just fine, finding neutral is normal...and other times it won't find neutral for a while. Just installed hotcams and have about 200miles on them so far, maybe it's just because they are breaking in and there is some extra metal flakes in the oil?

Ok cool...I'm starting to believe its just an oil issue because if the drive plates were warped, wouldn't it be difficult to get into neutral every time? I have noticed that sometimes, it shifts just fine, finding neutral is normal...and other times it won't find neutral for a while. Just installed hotcams and have about 200miles on them so far, maybe it's just because they are breaking in and there is some extra metal flakes in the oil?

When steel plates are warped.. you get a clutch that does not disengage completely....So say clutch in, in 1st gear, and the bike wants to pull / surge forward. .. Now you can get some of that though normal oil drag in the constant mesh transmission, more so when the oil is cold.

• Like 1