2013 KTM 500 EXC

so i went out on a ride yesterday and ran into a pretty laid back guy on his new fuel injected ktm500 enduro. he had 600 miles on it and wanted to go ride around. we punched it next to eachother multiple times from different speeds. keep in mind i recently re-geared my bike 16/39. when we would take off next to eachother from a dead stop i would take him all the way through. when we went from 35-40mph he would take me all the way through. we nailed it a couple times from 10 and 20 mph both times it was a close race but i was able to jump pretty good. overall i was pretty impressed with his bone stock 500 and couldnt find HP specs on it after doing a few google searches.with that said i think im going to gear my bike back down a bit. just figured i post about my little fun runs lata

oh, I didn't see your sig.. That makes sense! I've run a dead heat with a 530 (older) before.

Edited by buddoggin

I want one.

A good friend of mine just sold his ... Suspension and handling was not as he had expected , this was after a revalve .

Also Not happy with the fuel injection .

I am not saying they are no good , just saying he was disappointed .

I was going to call you a big fat liar, then I saw your sig. That sure explains it. LOL

so i went out on a ride yesterday and ran into a pretty laid back guy on his new fuel injected ktm500 enduro. he had 600 miles on it and wanted to go ride around. we punched it next to eachother multiple times from different speeds. keep in mind i recently re-geared my bike 16/39. when we would take off next to eachother from a dead stop i would take him all the way through. when we went from 35-40mph he would take me all the way through. we nailed it a couple times from 10 and 20 mph both times it was a close race but i was able to jump pretty good. overall i was pretty impressed with his bone stock 500 and couldnt find HP specs on it after doing a few google searches.with that said i think im going to gear my bike back down a bit. just figured i post about my little fun runs lata

Great review! Ive been on the fence about the 500EXC and am seriously considering it to replace my DRZ as my Dual Sport bike. I would have to keep the DRZ, of course... Braaaap!

I went from a DRZ to a 500, there is NO comparison.....the DRZ is a turd compared to my 500! The only major downside to the 500 is it can be too much in certain situations....

He doesnt sound like a good rider, the 500 would walk on the DRZ from 0-100mph no problems......

I went from a DRZ to a 500, there is NO comparison.....the DRZ is a turd compared to my 500! The only major downside to the 500 is it can be too much in certain situations....

They certainly break much easier than a DRZ.

Comparing the two is Apples and Oranges, to me anyway. Im interested in the 500EXC to replace the DRZ as my Dual Sport. The DRZ will get 17" wheels again and stay on the street. I wouldn't be interested in the 500EXC for the street because the DRZ's fun on the road cant be replaced. I like the extra weight of the DRZ on the road, not so much on the trail any more.

They certainly break much easier than a DRZ.

Its a wash.....160hrs on my KTM and its been virtually flawless. I would pretty any money that my DRZ would make it through half the stuff I put my 500 through.....

Comparing the two is Apples and Oranges, to me anyway. Im interested in the 500EXC to replace the DRZ as my Dual Sport. The DRZ will get 17" wheels again and stay on the street. I wouldn't be interested in the 500EXC for the street because the DRZ's fun on the road cant be replaced. I like the extra weight of the DRZ on the road, not so much on the trail any more.

Personally, get a 350 if you want to spend more time in the bush.....the 500 can be quite a handful for lighter riders.....

Personally, get a 350 if you want to spend more time in the bush.....the 500 can be quite a handful for lighter riders.....

Agreed, but in my parts we have more wide open riding than tight brush. We do a lot of hill climbing also and that's what is leading me to the 500 over the 350. I also like the Beta RS450 as a street legal choice, its also on my list.

I think if someone wanted to replace the DRZ, the only bike to do it would be the KTM, there is nothing else out there DS wise, imo.

I like the 690R myself.

But... i do not see me getting rid of my DRZ for a very long time, being only 150 pounds, and with some nice mods on me DRZ, its got plenty of power/speed for me both on/off road, love the bike.

I think if someone wanted to replace the DRZ, the only bike to do it would be the KTM, there is nothing else out there DS wise, imo.

I like the 690R myself.

But... i do not see me getting rid of my DRZ for a very long time, being only 150 pounds, and with some nice mods on me DRZ, its got plenty of power/speed for me both on/off road, love the bike.

This is the only other bike on my list besides the KTM. It equals the KTM in my opinion, the 450cc attracts me, over the 500EXC.

Beta RS450:

rs.low.jpg

Edited by DRZ400Senior

This is the only other bike on my list besides the KTM. It equals the KTM in my opinion, the 450cc attracts me, over the 500EXC.

Beta RS450:

rs.low.jpg

Those look nice indeed, my only concern would be with all those 450/500/525/530, would be stuff like freeway speeds of 75+ mph for 45 miles or more, i know the 690 would handle that like a pro, not sure about those other bikes,

i know the Husky te310 is real good off road, but their owners usually will not take them more then 50mph max, lol

to me that is not a real DS, just my thinking tho, i like a do it all bike, like the DRZ.

Those look nice indeed, my only concern would be with all those 450/500/525/530, would be stuff like freeway speeds of 75+ mph for 45 miles or more, i know the 690 would handle that like a pro, not sure about those other bikes,

i know the Husky te310 is real good off road, but their owners usually will not take them more then 50mph max, lol

to me that is not a real DS, just my thinking tho, i like a do it all bike, like the DRZ.

Ya, for all of that I would keep my DRZ and will. When I speak of Dual Sport, Im more referring to two day, organized events that mostly consist of dirt with a few miles of road mixed in getting to the next dirt section.

For mostly road riding, with some dirt mixed in, there is no replacing the DRZ. For me anyway.

maybe it was rider, maybe not! if you live close to the san diego area ill gladly meet up with you for a few races. 1st and second gear wasnt very useable before i geared my bike up. now i can launch hard and flat shift where before it would come up violently in first and second gear if i pinned it and flat shifted.... his bike was quicker from a roll but maybe too much unuseable power down low? tell yah what ill be down at qualcomm this friday night racing the 1/8th mile...if you dont live close maybe you have a track you can go to and make your runs and we compare time slips. its not like he was blowing me away either from a 30 roll so i know its a close race! i post up the facts good or bad :)

I like the 690R myself.

I really really want a 690! I think by the end of summer I'll be able to pull the trigger. Would be a great companion to my Tiger 800.

I really really want a 690! I think by the end of summer I'll be able to pull the trigger. Would be a great companion to my Tiger 800.

I think if I ever did replace the DRZ, the 690 would be the only way to go.