Sign in to follow this  

Epic Motorsports head work / new valves PLEASE LOOK! Need opinions

I recently sent my DRZ SM head to Eddie at Epic motosports in Colorado to have new valves installed.

When the head came back a week later the deck surface looks like this. (Please see pics, if you'd like to see more let me know). When I spoke to Eddie on the phone he insisted that the only tool that would touch the surface of the deck is a nylon brush. The inside of the head still had minor debris from my disassembly, including old gasket material in the same exact places as when I shipped it.

Please let me know what you think and what I should do about it.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

DSCN2012.JPG

DSCN2033.JPG

DSCN2040.JPG

DSCN2060.JPG

DSCN2069.JPG

DSCN2072.JPG

There is a pattern on the marks as if head was sanded on a flat surface.

You should have sent him the pictures and taken it from there.

My experience tells me that Eddie does accept the responsibility of faults in his labor.

I have also received a head from Epic, used head fully refurbished with new parts, that was not clean at all. Maybe the understanding is that prior to assembly the head must be cleaned thoroughly anyways.

Mmm. Some of those marks look pretty deep. Possibly caused by the chuck of the rotary tool used for the port work? Can't be sure. Either way it doesn't look usable to me. I suspect you will have issues with headgaskets blowing using that head...

I don't see why this was posted publicly when you could of just emailed Epic these pictures.

• Like 1

I don't see why this was posted publicly when you could of just emailed Epic these pictures.

Because this is a Open Forum.. regardless of good or bad experiences they should be posted..

• Like 7

After 12 + hours over the last two days I have been taking pictures, editing and emailing them.

All my emails are not going through with invalid email address erorrs, on SMJ the pics as well as a link to the pics here did not post. I am simply trying to resolve this. Lets not forget, this is about one thing only, the deck surface condition.

I talked to eddie this morning and he told me I sent it to him this way. That is pathetic. Look at the pictures. That is why this post is up here.

Address the facts in the post and the pictures or don't reply please.

With all the good things I've heard about Eddie's work, I hear and see a lot of bad things too. I'm kinda skeptical on what goes on at epic. I hope this gets resolved, cause that doesn't look like good craftsmanship. Good luck with that man

• Like 2

I would ask for a new head....that is not work that comes out of a good shop, someone screwed up, probably a new employee.....

I am not going to comment on the particulars you have posted but you need to know exactly what services you are getting. You also need to make your expectations known in writing and get them agreed to.

I once had to take a 4-cylinder head to the carwash to blast all of the crap out of it after having it shaved. It was much more gouged than that and it worked out OK. Note that the 3M brillo pad stuff used on that head is very hard on engines if not cleaned properly.

Steve

• Like 1

I am not going to comment on the particulars you have posted but you need to know exactly what services you are getting. You also need to make your expectations known in writing and get them agreed to.

I once had to take a 4-cylinder head to the carwash to blast all of the crap out of it after having it shaved. It was much more gouged than that and it worked out OK. Note that the 3M brillo pad stuff used on that head is very hard on engines if not cleaned properly.

Steve

The dust from a 3m roloc disc used on a die grinder will destroy engine bearings very quickly.

Address the facts in the post and the pictures or don't reply please.

Not really your choice.

You decided to take a business dealing and make it public on the internet.. at that point and for ever more you lose the right to have any say whatsoever on what others comment.

So long as TT users do not violate the Terms of service... they can post whatever they so choose.

I recently sent my DRZ SM head to Eddie at Epic motosports in Colorado to have new valves installed.

When the head came back a week later the deck surface looks like this. (Please see pics, if you'd like to see more let me know). When I spoke to Eddie on the phone he insisted that the only tool that would touch the surface of the deck is a nylon brush. The inside of the head still had minor debris from my disassembly, including old gasket material in the same exact places as when I shipped it.

Please let me know what you think and what I should do about it.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

From your post, it sounds like you attempted to remove gasket material prior to shipping... What tool, method did you use?.

Do you own an air compressor?

Do you own a rotary air motor, abrasive discs, 3M style or sanding discs?

Those marks look like a 3M abrasive disk or sanding disk were used to clean the head surface.. something amateurs commonly do because they do not know what they are doing.

I've seen many heads come back from quality shops like epic, and a dozen or so, few of them mine from SSW (pre Epic) and never have I seen sanding or cutting swirls marks on them.

Someone that did not know better used a cutting disk on that head.. My bet,, NOT Epic..

• Like 1

If there was a BEFORE picture it would be more clear for everyone......as it is now, it's a question mark???? Who did what to whom...........jmo

where are the "before I shipped pictures"

Any time I ship anything out or if a part is a shop overnight I do a before picture/ inspection report...had too much stuff destroyed over the years from interns/lot persons/senior techs

the one common thing is that they are all human and can make mistakes...

Thanks for posting, I think we all benefit from being informed about issues with suppliers, right or wrong it's still good to know.

I doubt the swirls will cause you a head-sealing issue, but I understand that you expected more than you rec'd.

I also support the posting of your concerns and seeking the opinions of others.

This wouldn't necessarily stop me from using Epic, but it would help get my expectations in line with the reality.

• Like 1

I can't see why anyone would damage there own head , send it away ... Get it back And post on here that he didn't do it . Why would any one do that ?

I didn't see any before and after pics , it makes it hard to know the real truth .

• Like 2

I can't see why anyone would damage there own head , send it away ... Get it back And post on here that he didn't do it . Why would any one do that ?

I didn't see any before and after pics , it makes it hard to know the real truth .

Yes , it would really come down to one person's word, verses another.....So who do you think is telling the truth..?

Without taking sides...do you believe the poster or a long term member that is highly respected on this forum as a true professional.... :excuseme:

As a Professional shop owner and technician.. If I were to receive any component in my shop from a customer and I noted this (pretty excessive) damage, I would be on the phone with him/her to note the damage before i eve touched the part. In the past i have had a few smaller problems like this where they claim they didn't give it to me like this and i owe then a replacement. As for both parties a Camera does wonders!

Like said above anything I send out regardless what it is i take many photos and note all damage. Then there is less of a problem.

To me is does look like whoever removed the gasket material was using the wrong tool for the job.

• Like 5

I think it sucks that it may have been damaged at Epic. But it would suck even more to know that they would go ahead and do the head work, charge you for it, knowing that the head was already damaged to the point of being no good without at least letting you know there was a problem before doing any work to it. I hope this was not the case and you get it resolved.

• Like 2