Vacuum operated petcock vs. standard

I noticed that the PO of my SM replaced the OEM vacuum operated petcock with a standard one. Is there any benefit to this? Included was the stock petcock, in case I need to go back to it.

On many bikes the vacuum petcocks can leak, and when you need to remove the gas tank to work on the bike it is a pain with a leaking petcock. I would say this is probably the biggest advantage of a standard petcock.

I'm not sure what the advantage is to the vacuum petcock, other than it is supposed to be "set-n-forget". However, when you have a leaking vacuum petcock you are worse off. Ask me how I know.

I noticed that the PO of my SM replaced the OEM vacuum operated petcock with a standard one. Is there any benefit to this? Included was the stock petcock, in case I need to go back to it.

I would stick with the manual fuel valve.. Thats was one of the first things i replaced.. I like the peace of mind when i shut off my bike and put her away that i wont come back with a engine full of gas cause the vacuun petcock decided to fail.. There are many occasions where this has happened to people on this board.. just remeber to shut her off and turn it on every ride

Which manual petcock is a direct replacement?

D

THis is what i ordered.. great company too to deal with . and decent prices.

http://www.procycle....5lp-24500-01-00

That's good to hear. I live just down the road from them, and was going to give them some business. :thumbsup:

That's good to hear. I live just down the road from them, and was going to give them some business. :thumbsup:

As already stated above, keep in mind you have to be DILIGENT about always shutting it off now. Not shutting it off is the same as the leaking vacuum type....which means gas in the engine. Someone above stated "ask me how I know".......+2 to that.

How does the engine fill with gas when a petcock is leaking? Doesn't the needle valve shut fuel to carb off?

The leak into the intake port, cylinder area and crankcase only occurs if the float valve or o-ring is also leaking....leading to an excessively high fuel level in the carb. I won't have a vacuum petcock because I'm a control freak and after mine flooded twice it was tossed into the parts bin and replaced with a decent Yamaha unit for $21.

BTW, float valve leaks (well, actually it's usually the o-ring under the valve seat) are remarkable common on this forum

I prefer manual petcocks , some people don't........I like being in control of what the fuel is doing .....

The oem vacuum petcock was a good idea, but never a necessity. Old school riders learned early on to always turn off their fuel when parked and once a habit you don't even think about it and do it automatically. Like Shuswap said, a properly functioning carb will not leak..........but.......in time most will end up leaking unless the owner is diligent in replacing the seat and o-ring before a leak occurs. Just like the carb, the oem petcock eventually fails and leaks and the timeline is generally in sync with an older carb so the fuel goes through the leaky petcock, through a leaky seat or valve body o-ring, then into the engine filling the oil with gasoline.

I have replaced (3) Suzuki vacuum petcocks, one on my S, one on a buddy's SM and another on a buddy's 4-wheeler. All were 7 years old or better so I have zero faith in the vacuum petcock and all were replaced with Pingle manual petcocks. Manual oem petcocks can fail also(my 03 Kodiak one failed last year), but the failure rate is much lower. It's just one of those things that will need replacing....sooner or later.

I loved the look of the Pingels. Then, I saw the price. They cost, what, four or five times as much as a Raptor petcock? Are there any more affordable Pingels that will work on a stock tank?