2013 Rampart Spring Poker Run - Who's going?

Colorado

I'll be there, with at least 5 other friends. Should be a good time! :ride:

Can you or someone explain the whole poker run thing, and in advance, yes I am not the brightest! I heard from some guys last season that this was a good time. May be interested in loading up my riding buddies and checking it out

Can you or someone explain the whole poker run thing, and in advance, yes I am not the brightest! I heard from some guys last season that this was a good time. May be interested in loading up my riding buddies and checking it out

You ride a pre determined course that is marked with arrows (usually 50-60 miles for the long course). It is NOT a race. There are checkpoints where you draw a poker card out of a full deck. The card is written on your checkpoint card. At the end of the ride the cards you have drawn at the checkpoints make up your poker hand. The guys with the highest hands win prizes. There are also door prizes and hot dogs. The loop is actually 2 loops so you can gas up midway if necessary. It is fun, most riders are pretty courteous (if you let faster riders by), the riders spread out enough that dust and traffic are not problems, and the event is well run.

Hope that helps, CoKTM

looks like I will have to check this one out. Thanks for the insight

Yep, what coktm said. It's a good time.

Is a date set ?

Is a date set ?

Sunday, June 9th

You can go to http://www.rampartrange.org/ and click 'Poker Run' on the left side of the page. You'll see all the info, and a link to online preregistration ($22).

they don't actually have you draw the card at the check point... you draw it after the ride. they just mark that you cleared a check point for the card at the end. its a great time. you meet alot of cool people and the ride up there is epic given that its marked and you don't have to really worry too much about head on traffic. (don't let you guard down though) i may make it im not sure yet. last year was epic with rain the night before. perfect day!

I go every year. Although it isnt a race. 300 people is a good way to practice passing... SAFELY! If there are any upper A riders going I wouldnt mind hooking up and turning it into some friendly competition on the second loop.

Last year I was the first person on the second loop. Had some guy on the first take a wrong turn and going reverse direction on loop two. I havmt had such a bad head on until then! Stay aware people!

I go every year. Although it isnt a race. 300 people is a good way to practice passing... SAFELY! If there are any upper A riders going I wouldnt mind hooking up and turning it into some friendly competition on the second loop.

Last year I was the first person on the second loop. Had some guy on the first take a wrong turn and going reverse direction on loop two. I havmt had such a bad head on until then! Stay aware people!

Yikes!

It's only my 2nd trail ride of the year, so I'll be just doing the short course. :D

For those of you that camped out for the Poker Run in the past, would it be impossible to find a campsite if we show up early Saturday afternoon?

For those of you that camped out for the Poker Run in the past, would it be impossible to find a campsite if we show up early Saturday afternoon?

ya further down the road if you wanted to find some privacy. if you dont mind having some neighbors you can camp really close

Not really worried about privacy; because we'll be partying it up. I just didn't want to pack up the gear and worry about not being able to find a spot. We weren't too sure if the guys that camp out for it every year make it a 2-nighter, thus filling up most of the camp sites by friday evening.

I'll be working at the entrance gate again this year. Say Hey when you go in on Sunday morning.

Rod

I signed my son (12 yrs old) and myself up. We plan to ride the long route. He's pretty excited, been riding up there since he was 4 and can ride nearly everything. Does the long route take expert trails or do they stick with the intermediate. Some of the expert trails make him nervous with the large rocks etc.

No it's all the wide stuff. It's a trail ride not a race so it's good for anyone

Is there an updated trail map for Rampart? Mine is 10 years old riding up there last weekend, there were many trails not on my map (662, 787, 788, etc.). If there is a new one, I will pick one up.

Is there an updated trail map for Rampart? Mine is 10 years old riding up there last weekend, there were many trails not on my map (662, 787, 788, etc.). If there is a new one, I will pick one up.

I believe they posted on their FB page that they were working on one; I'm not sure if it's done.

Word of advise. Stay off the main roads unless you are street legal. Buddy of mine got a $125 ticket a few years back after he wiped out and was heading back to the truck. No mercy. You can cross it at trail intersections.

Word of advise. Stay off the main roads unless you are street legal. Buddy of mine got a $125 ticket a few years back after he wiped out and was heading back to the truck. No mercy. You can cross it at trail intersections.

x2

Stay on the trail that parallels Rampart Range Rd if you have to park a bit down the road from the staging/start area.