Sign in to follow this  

To old to start?

Hello guys, I'm new here and plan on being active. I have a question which I can't answer my self. Am I to old to start racing motocross/supercross?

I have raced go karts and TQ Sprint Cars my whole life. I love racing. I bought a quad back in January, and its pretty boring. I recently rhode my friends KX 85, and was ripping in 3rd gear. I didn't go higher cause I'm inexperienced. Ever since I road it, I want to buy one and race. I'm currently 16, and about 5'8-5'11, not exactly sure how tall and about 140. Not sure what type of bike to get. Money is no problem to me. I do plan on going pro, laugh all you want but I achieve what I want always. I currently play D1/Pro Paintball, so clearly I can make pro. I need your guys suggestions on what I should get and if Im to old to start. Thanks !

Good luck 'going pro'. You need to get a bike and learn to ride. If you think you can do anything and 'go pro', you should become a pro golfer. That is where the big money is.

You should buy a one or two year old 2S 125.

• Like 1

Good luck 'going pro'. You need to get a bike and learn to ride. If you think you can do anything and 'go pro', you should become a pro golfer. That is where the big money is.

You should buy a one or two year old 2S 125.

I actually play golf for my school team. I play it only cause I need a school sport for the military academies. I'm almost professional in Paintball, I'm in the Challengers bracket currently. So I am technically a pro.

Going pro should be no problem for you at all. I hear riding mx is surprisingly similar to competitive paint ball.... :lame::smashpc:

Edited by KDIXER
  • Like 4

Hey, listen man, I'm gonna say this on behalf of everyone on this forum. We don't mean to be buttholes, or pick on you, or crush your dreams, but you're probably not going to be a pro. I'm not saying it's impossible, just incredibly unlikely. As a paint baller and airsofter and pre-basic in the army, and beginner MX racer (I'm a beginner and I've been racing for several years), I can tell you that going pro in motocross is more difficult than going pro in football - it's just as physically and technically demanding and there's a MUCH smaller number of places available for professionals. Don't let that stop you from chasing your dreams, but I'd have a backup plan. However good shape you think you're in, it's nowhere near good enough.

That said, if you want to go pro, I'd start with a 125 two stroke (cheaper to maintain and teaches valuable skills). Or a 250 four stroke, you'll need one of those if you want to be taken seriously by factory teams someday. My advice: just have fun! And work out. A lot. And find an MX riding school nearby and do everything they say without complaining.

• Like 1

No, but from what magazine did you obtain this grand Pro idea? It could be difficult to impossible to attend military academy and ride MX on the pro level. So, which one?

Maybe you could stay with golf. Golf is a great weekend warrior game which will get you promoted through the ranks much more than MX. And stay with MX for a vigorous outing of physical exertion and relaxation helping to relieve pent up frustration with higher up in the ranks. It will help your career immensely to take it out on the track rather than hide behind a door waiting for the higher ups to come along hoping to pelt them with paintballs. Cause if your smart and want to get ahead, never ever hit a higher up in a friendly game of paintball. Always miss………………….. When you are a higher up, then you bullseye.

I do plan on going pro, laugh all you want but I achieve what I want always. I currently play D1/Pro Paintball, so clearly I can make pro. I need your guys suggestions on what I should get and if Im to old to start. Thanks !

Have you even crashed yet? :ride:

• Like 2

Ok so here's my advice. If you live in a 2 story house you need to go upstairs and jump out the window into your yard. Then jump up and run upstairs as fast as you can and repeat... Do this maybe 10-15 times then you will have a general idea how your first race is gonna feel like. After doing this decide if its for you!!

• Like 5

Ok so here's my advice. If you live in a 2 story house you need to go upstairs and jump out the window into your yard. Then jump up and run upstairs as fast as you can and repeat... Do this maybe 10-15 times then you will have a general idea how your first race is gonna feel like. After doing this decide if its for you!!

Wow, very accurate in a strange way. Almost like you've done it before?

• Like 3

Wow, very accurate in a strange way. Almost like you've done it before?

Haha well when I first started riding Moto all my peers were B riders and always pushed me to ride over my head. So I figure that's what it felt like to me after every ride!! Lol

• Like 1

Yes.

• Like 1

In some cultures they do this to separate the "strong" from the "weak", this is one of those cultures.

• Like 2

Yes,your too old to start.Pro racer's have been riding since they were out of diaper's.Buy a 125 and practice,then hit a few local race's and just have fun.I'm not saying it can't be done but the odd's are not in your favor.

Not to me... Someone who barely rides talks like they can go pro? Those are the kind that we just take riding trail and they puke and quit in the mountains.. never to be seen again. it's probably a troll but if not it's arrogant , lame and disrespectful....if we are out riding and this talk comes out there will be some riding punishment involved..Hey follow us old guys trail riding... I guess it's different for track riding..You can go around the track a few times and just pull off. But if you're riding trail you have to follow far in and need someone to lead you out.. It's hours in and hours out. ..the more mouth flapping the deeper we go. I say let your riding speak for how you ride. ...not your mouth.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 5