Switching from a 250 2 stroke to 200 2 stroke

Ok so right now I currently have a 96 kx250 and I love it to death it's so fun to ride, except it is just simply too much power for me at harescrambles which I really want to get into. I can fly in open fields but anyone can do that, I definitely won't be able to use all that power on an mx track and I already knows it's way too much for me in the woods and it is very hard to ride.

So I was looking for a new bike and I found a 2006 ktm 200. I think this would be much easier to ride in the woods and even mx once I get into that. What do you guys think of the 200's are they much easier to handle and flick around? the 10 year difference in bikes will have a huge handling difference I bet. The only thing I'm worried about is it won't be as fun as my kx because I tried my friends ttr230 before and I was like wow this is boring and instantly wanted my bike back. Obviously the 200 is much bigger than the ttr but I'm just afraid I will really feel like I have no power and get bored with it or do the 200's still rip like a 250 only they are more manageable? Which I want :D

You said it in the last sentence...

Get it, they rip

The KTM 200's do rip and are ultra flickable. However, you can tame your 250 down and make it more manageable with the addition of a flywheel weight and an auto-clutch.

Yeah like ^he said try a heavier flywheel, it will make the power much more manageable and it's a lot cheaper. But it's your call.

i recently switched from a ktm 200 back to a cr250. the ktm had plenty of power and would lug like no other. raced harescrambles with it and it was great for that. BUT, it just didnt put the smile on my face like the cr250 does. i did a lot of work getting the cr set up for woods/HS and i am happier with it overall. the flywheel weight works wonders.

Ok so right now I currently have a 96 kx250 and I love it to death it's so fun to ride, except it is just simply too much power for me at harescrambles which I really want to get into. I can fly in open fields but anyone can do that, I definitely won't be able to use all that power on an mx track and I already knows it's way too much for me in the woods and it is very hard to ride.

So I was looking for a new bike and I found a 2006 ktm 200. I think this would be much easier to ride in the woods and even mx once I get into that. What do you guys think of the 200's are they much easier to handle and flick around? the 10 year difference in bikes will have a huge handling difference I bet. The only thing I'm worried about is it won't be as fun as my kx because I tried my friends ttr230 before and I was like wow this is boring and instantly wanted my bike back. Obviously the 200 is much bigger than the ttr but I'm just afraid I will really feel like I have no power and get bored with it or do the 200's still rip like a 250 only they are more manageable? Which I want :D

just learn how to ride the bike how it is

Is the 200 an XC or XCW?

I had a KTM 250 and bought a 200 as a buddy bike.....the 200 ..we found out later had been revalved and SX head and some porting....It is within an eyelash of the power of my 250.....feels much lighter and is def more flickable....it slices and dices.....long story short I sold the 250.....I am much faster on the 200....you can make the bike run for not a lot of money....I had a YZ 250 with a FWW and I hated it....I would see if you can find one to ride..

That is the suspension revalve BTW

I had a KTM 250 and bought a 200 as a buddy bike.....the 200 ..we found out later had been revalved and SX head and some porting....It is within an eyelash of the power of my 250.....feels much lighter and is def more flickable....it slices and dices.....long story short I sold the 250.....I am much faster on the 200....you can make the bike run for not a lot of money....I had a YZ 250 with a FWW and I hated it....I would see if you can find one to ride..

Is the 200 an XC or XCW?

That is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. I would hope I would be much faster on the 200 too. The seller doesn't live very far away so I could probably go over and try it out first.

As for XC or XCW I'm not sure, the ad doesn't say but I will obviously find out if I decide I might really want this bike. Which I think I do.

Also my kx might already have an aftermarket flywheel because the guy I got it from said he raced enduro with it, but I'm not sure I had it out before with a rebuild but didn't pay any attention to it. But he was probably 230 lbs and I am only 155 lbs so he could handle all that power way better. It's a 96 so I just don't want to put too much into an old bike I would rather get a better overall bike for my needs without mods.

Edited by RedFries3

either 05 or 06 the EXC went to a XC-W and the MXC went to a XC

either 05 or 06 the EXC went to a XC-W and the MXC went to a XC

Your gonna get the 200,,,,,

I know I haven't replied in awhile but I'm still looking for a 200, just trying to sell my 250 first which is a pain..

jet the 200 properly and it feels just like a 250.

You will get used to your 250 2 stroke. Just go get some seat time. I had one when I was 15 and weighed 140 lbs the first year that I ever owned a dirtbike and I was racing within a month of getting it. Just go ride your 250. You will get used to it before you know it.