Molested or Unmolested?

32 members have voted

1. 1. When buying a used bike, which would you prefer?

• Molested (freshly rebuilt motor, a good amount of aftermarket goodies, slightly customized for the current rider)
    • Unmolested (maybe 10hrs at most on the bike, orginal tires, plastic etc etc is mint shape)

Lets say its a 08 CRF 450, and of course its used....when purchasing, which condition would you prefer it in? Lets say the prices are about the same, lets say $300 more for the unmolested bike. The molested bike is in good shape, new plastics etc etc but lets say it had 100hrs on it before the rebuild and 0hrs on it since, valved suspension for a 200lb intermediate rider, which would you buy?

Edited by originalmonk

I like molested stuff ?

I'd only like a "molested" bike if the parts are stuff that I actually want. There are some bikes with 3k worth of FC suspension for a 265lb mx rider, and I'm like..... " I DONT WANT THAT"

But if it's woods suspension for someone near my weight, with stuff that I want, I'll take the molested bike for sure.

It all depends on price. If it was upwards of 4 or 5 grand I would pick the unmolested bike because longevity would be more important to the amount of $ invested. But at 2 to 3 grand and under, it really just depends on how close the molested bike is to what I would do to it anyways.

I prefer to buy at a low enough price to rebuild or replace parts anyways. Even on an unmolested bike, things like bearing life and oem component longevity is a guess at best. If I buy a bike with shot linkage bearings and replace them, well then I know exactly what it has.

its funny when a seller has ugly ass graphics and makes a big deal about his brand new high dollar graphics that has his name and his number on them to boot??? next is trying to sale you on how nice his new suspension is he just bought and had resprung and setup for a 115 lb.rider and i weigh 185lbs.??? give me a stock bike with stock graphics anyday!!!

I generally lean towards a well used, but cared for bike...with the aftermarket crap. If the bike has goodies on it that I don't like or need, I trade that stuff for what I prefer to use.

Edited by bowhunter007

Unmolested and I like to have the original tires still on the machine.

Remember these commercials?

People don't have a conscious when it comes to stuff like this. I mean if someone was selling a good surf ski, like a built up Wave Blaster for a nice price, I wouldn't touch it. There is a reason why they are selling it.

Much like a hot single woman, there is a reason why she is single, she probably isn't firing on all cylinders.

Non molested. Half the fun of having a bike is putting the things you want to on yourself. I've also had a couple bikes used that were heavily modified and it just sucks to try and track down what's been done to it and to really know what you're working with, especially motor wise can be hard sometimes. I love the look of a mostly stock bike with a few small peices like a nice wheelset and a nice looking exhaust to balance it out.