Sign in to follow this  

RMX 250 Hanging Idle

hey guys, i've been fooling around with my jetting since i swapped the ole keihin pj for a pwk. im heading out tomorrow determined to deal with the hanging idle issue i have going on. Is a hanging idle is usually due to a "lean" or "airleak"? i just checked for leaks this afternoon, all seems good. So, which circuit is normally responsible for a hanging idle? Providing i cant get it squared away with the AS. pilot or needle, clip position?

Edited by argclh6670

hey guys, i've been fooling around with my jetting since i swapped the ole keihin pj for a pwk. im heading out tomorrow determined to deal with the hanging idle issue i have going on. Is a hanging idle is usually due to a "lean" or "airleak"? i just checked for leaks this afternoon, all seems good. So, which circuit is normally responsible for a hanging idle? Providing i cant get it squared away with the AS. pilot or needle, clip position?

I was considering purchasing a keihin pwk for an enhanced idle and less stalling on highly technical terrain, did you find it a great improvement over the stock carb?

which model exactly do you got?

thanks

I was considering purchasing a keihin pwk for an enhanced idle and less stalling on highly technical terrain, did you find it a great improvement over the stock carb?

which model exactly do you got?

thanks

Yeah, i absolutely love the carb. response, idle are definitely improved. I hardly ever stall anymore, dont have to worry bout keeping throttle open in tight stuff. However, on mine this 2nd idle or hanging idle (which ever) issue im having can and HAS made it alil sketchy at times. But im learning to ride with it. I have the PWK 38mm. Some have gone with the 36mm pwk with good results. the 36mm is supposed to be great for the tight stuff.

Summary: YES, go for it you wont be disappointed. If you do swap, let me know your findings. Ride safe.

Edited by argclh6670

How many turns out should the air/fuel mix screw be

2 turns out. i switched gas brands from shell to chevron (both 92) and it seemed to help alot. next step is to try "pure gas".

My rmx250 has a hanging idle aswell for roughly 5 seconds then returns to a normal but it seems to be getting worse and now if I hold te clutch in while ridding it starts to ping I'm hoping it's just an air leak

I had some idle issues too with my rmx not sure if I would call it a hanging idle issue though. anyways I replaced the crank seals on both sides and all my idle issues when away.

My rmx250 has a hanging idle aswell for roughly 5 seconds then returns to a normal but it seems to be getting worse and now if I hold te clutch in while ridding it starts to ping I'm hoping it's just an air leak

Yeah, sounds like an airleak. Has it always had a hanging idle?

On my Rmx i cant use any gas from more than a week old or it will ping alot.

I have it jetted abit rich throughout range, and no leaks on mine.

It still pings very little under certain loads.

Trying to go out riding today, have retarded timing a little to see if that helps. i'll check back.

I had some idle issues too with my rmx not sure if I would call it a hanging idle issue though. anyways I replaced the crank seals on both sides and all my idle issues when away.

Hanging idle may be misleading to some: basically what it does is when i let off the throttle it'll take a few seconds to idle completely down. Sometimes that little idle extra gets sketchy in tight stuff. lol

on your RMX did you have to split cases to replace seals?

Edited by argclh6670

Yeah, i absolutely love the carb. response, idle are definitely improved. I hardly ever stall anymore, dont have to worry bout keeping throttle open in tight stuff. However, on mine this 2nd idle or hanging idle (which ever) issue im having can and HAS made it alil sketchy at times. But im learning to ride with it. I have the PWK 38mm. Some have gone with the 36mm pwk with good results. the 36mm is supposed to be great for the tight stuff.

Summary: YES, go for it you wont be disappointed. If you you do, let me know your findings. Ride safe.

Thanks man, I'll definitely post back here my impressions after I buy one, looking forward to install the carb + JD Jetting kit + VForce.

Edited by ThePlague

My bike will idle fine when it's cold but after running for some time will stall easily if I don't use the clutch heavily, specially if I try to bypass any dangerous terrain which requires me to go much slower (sort of 4 stroke like).

Am I just dreaming of turning the RMX into something like the KTM's or Husaberg's where even after falling off the bike it will keep running upside down?

What I know is that on rocky terrain my bike can easily drain all my resources.

Edited by ThePlague

Switching to the PWK will correct these problems when jetted properly. Mine idles and lugs down super low without stalling.

That's awesome news, I guess the folks at JD Jetting can provide me with a custom jetting kit made for the PWD.

It's always had the hanging idle it's only a pj carb, I removed it and cleaned it out and now it's doing the pinging with clutch in so hopefully it's just a loose clamp can't tell until I get a new water pump impeller

I went with the 38mm Air Striker and couldn't be happier. I race enduro's that are super tight and technical.

Cool, I could find only 38mm and 35mm PWK models on eBay, supposedly KTM prefers to use the 36mm on their highly acclaimed EXC 2 stroke models (http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm_300_exc_2012.php).

But will that KTM carb (KEIHIN PWK36S AG) fit the Suzuki? If not then which 36mm does?

Thanks!