Sign in to follow this  

First time at the track

I have never been to a track and i have been riding for a few months now and i was wondering how good do you have to be before you go to a track. I leave near pala raceway and i was wondering if I should wait before i go. I have all the basic skills down and feel pretty confident on a bike, but i haven't done any jumps before. I was wondering if i am good enough to go to a track. Thanks

Going to the track will be a rude awakening for you. You're going to have guys that think they're pros that are compensating, not yielding to inexperienced riders making them wreck or make mistakes. Remember they have to yield to slower riders. It's the track rules.

My suggestion would be to go either really late in the day or early in the morning. A cloudy day would be best, that way the track traffic won't be as bad, So you can learn.

There are a lot of good guys at the track, but also a lot of shit heads that ruin it for everybody.

There are all types of skill levels out on the track. You will be good to go. Just be smart. Don't ride above your skill level. Don't try to push yourself too hard. Yield to any rider who is faster then you. Just move out of there way and let them pass easily. Other then that I think you will be good to go.

Just go you gotta learn some how. My first time on a track my uncle threw me in with the wolves, it was a race at RedBud back in 1994 on a kx 60. Had on brand new boots and couldn't even shift out of first, it was a horrible experience lol... Just be confident, being nervous and riding tight will get you hurt. If you go just look ahead, ride outside/inside lines and you must HOLD YOUR LINE. Don't worry about anyone else on the track the faster guys will go around you. Good luck!

Edited by MXpro787

Definatly go. But remember to hold your line. Don't move from side to side on the track. Faster riders will work around you without issue if you do that.

There are all types of skill levels out on the track. You will be good to go. Just be smart. Don't ride above your skill level. Don't try to push yourself too hard. Yield to any rider who is faster then you. Just move out of there way and let them pass easily. Other then that I think you will be good to go.

I think that's some bad advice there. HOLD YOUR LINE!!! DON'T SWERVE. Moving around on the track will cause wrecks. The faster guys will go around you. I got cleaned out bad by a slow rider trying to move out of the way of the guy in front of me. I am not that fast buy he turned right into me and jacked my knee bad.

• Like 2

I have to echo what some of the other guys are saying; hold your line and DO NOT MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. If you try to move out of the way, you might go one way, and the fast guy behind you might already be committed to that side and run into the back of you. This is especially true on jumps, so nobody lands on top of you.

When you pull of the track, raise up your arm ahead of time, so the guys behind you know you're pulling off.

The first time is pretty intimidating, but remember to ride smart, and have fun. :)

This is an example of what happens if you don't hold your line:

http://brotocross.com/featured/kickstart-the-weekend-with-the-nuke-the-quads-poster-boy/

Edited by RedRider31
  • Like 1

Sorry if I gave you bad advice but i'm a trail rider and get on the MX track just for fun and if I know someone fast is coming I make sure I stay out of their way. Guess no one has told me yet that they rather me just go the speed i was going.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the solid advice. I'm looking forward to be going to the track soon. Thanks Guys

I have never been to a track and i have been riding for a few months now and i was wondering how good do you have to be before you go to a track. I leave near pala raceway and i was wondering if I should wait before i go. I have all the basic skills down and feel pretty confident on a bike, but i haven't done any jumps before. I was wondering if i am good enough to go to a track. Thanks

Do you actually want to race, or are you just wanting to get out on the track and practice ? If you are thinking your ready to race, and have not had any experience jumping, you are not are ready for the track yet. I feel bad about "holding you back" but I also don't want to see you get hurt. If you get out without jumping experience and the fact you will be wrestling with other riders at a race pace, you will get quickly get freaked out and again possibly injured from a panic crash.

If you simply want to get the feel of the track, then go to a "pay to play" practice track. Where your new, try to go either during the week, or later in the day so there won't be a ton of traffic. This will be a perfect situation for you to get acclimated to jumps and higher speeds of the track. Remember, it's just PRACTICE so don't go out and go as fast as you can or you will crash hard. Your first few laps should always be slow "parade laps" and pay close attention to the track layout, double jumps, and such. Most importantly try to hold a steady line around the track so when a faster rider needs to pass you it's easy and you both don't crash. Good luck, you will have a blast out on the track !

Edited by Polar_Bus

I have to say I disagree with moving out of the way, holding your line is the way to go. BUT you can do a few things to help stay out of the way a bit. for instance, if you're going to roll the track try to keep out of the very middle of the track.

Don't be afraid to go your own pace, and never try a jump without rolling it first to get a feel.

• Like 1

tips for a new track experience-

if you are not jumping, take an outside line, signal you are not going to jump over larger jumps so the fast guys behind you know and can adjust accordingly.

get out there! You will only learn/get better by doing it

start on a "vet" track if you can, usually smaller jumps.

go during off peak hours! Early in the morning on the weekends always worked for me!

HAVE FUN!

I'm a newb and I ride with a 12 year old that loves the "Big Track". All the advice here is good, but I would add one thing that's sort a corollary to the "Hold Your Line" advice:

Don't Look Behind you Worring about where the fast riders are. When you (or I) look back, I lose concentration on "The Line". That is when I do irratic stuff and potentially cause an accident.

I've been VERY pleasantly surprised at how friendly the guys are at the track -- all of them -- from the newbs like my son and me to the real racers. None of them seem to mind having a "Jam Car" on the track to practice with. I've found that if you have questions, they are more than willing to help.

Once when my son (12 years old on an 85) wrecked in a muddy patch in the middle of the track, one of the "Experts" that was close behind him stopped, layed his bike down in the mud, helped my son up, and gave him some pointers related to navigating the mud. That cured our worry that we simply didn't belong on the track. It also got me over my reticence to just drop my bike and help others. If a guy with a new racing bike does it, why wouldn't I with my old busted up junker.

Have fun and be safe.

• Like 1

Also, the advice about when to go is great as well. We usually show up at the riding park before it opens getting ready. When the check-in guy gets there, we sign and pay and head straight down to the Big Track. We can usually ride on it by our selves for at least an hour -- more if the weather is sketchy. When it gets busy, we do other things.

Closing time can be great too. The track is usually dried out well (if it was wet earlier). But like everyone else, we are usually wiped out tired then.

I have to echo what some of the other guys are saying; hold your line and DO NOT MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. If you try to move out of the way, you might go one way, and the fast guy behind you might already be committed to that side and run into the back of you. This is especially true on jumps, so nobody lands on top of you.

When you pull of the track, raise up your arm ahead of time, so the guys behind you know you're pulling off.

The first time is pretty intimidating, but remember to ride smart, and have fun. :)

This is an example of what happens if you don't hold your line:

http://brotocross.co...ads-poster-boy/

That video made me cringe.

Sorry if I gave you bad advice but i'm a trail rider and get on the MX track just for fun and if I know someone fast is coming I make sure I stay out of their way. Guess no one has told me yet that they rather me just go the speed i was going.

Like it's been said before, that is a good way to cause a crash. Trust me, they won't be just fine going your speed, they'll go around you. The last thing they should have to worry about is if you go left, or right, to get out of their way. If your on the inside, STAY ON THE INSIDE, and they'll take an outside line to go around.

This makes it easier on you as well; you don't have to look behind and determine which side they're coming up on. You shouldn't be looking behind you anyway when you're on the track.

Ok guys cut me some slack. I think enough people have quoted me and pointed out that my advice was wrong and I even apologized for it myself. Got it. Hold your line.

Main reason I posted was because I can relate to the OP because i'm slow on the MX track and feel like a beginner and I wanted to encourage him to give it a shot. In all honesty I would be fine never riding on a MX track again as long as I could still ride trails and street.

• Like 1