Sign in to follow this  

Check if 3x3 Mod has been done

Hi,

First post to the forum as I am picking up my new 2008 DRZ from dealer this week.

Can't wait.

There is no history with the bike and it has a few after-market accessories.

I have no mechanical background and wondering if there is anyway to easily check if the 3x3 mod has been done to the bike?

Looking to pass the responses on this question to the shop to check for me.

Unless the checks are relatively straight forward, in which I will take a look.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi,

First post to the forum as I am picking up my new 2008 DRZ from dealer this week.

Can't wait.

There is no history with the bike and it has a few after-market accessories.

I have no mechanical background and wondering if there is anyway to easily check if the 3x3 mod has been done to the bike?

Looking to pass the responses on this question to the shop to check for me.

Unless the checks are relatively straight forward, in which I will take a look.

Thanks,

Daniel

Yea, take the seat off and see if there is a large hole cut out of the top of the airbox, approx. 3 x 3".

as the name implies.. the 3x3 mod at it's base is a 3" x 3" hole cut in the air box top.. It follows the same hole that a DRZ E would have once the rubber air boot is removed.

A second outer visual clue would be the brass cap that covers the fuel screw in the carb from the factory , if in place, no adjustments have been made ie no complete 3x3 mod.. If missing the brass cap it MIGHT have been adjusted.

After that, the carb has to come apart,, jetting size, check and an aftermarket needle will be adjustable with different clip positions. ... That is really the best and surest point to check.. the seat and tank off, the two cross tip screws in the carb cap can be removed with some twisting of the carb... the diaphragm and slide will then come out.. carefully remove the needle cap with needle nose pliers.. NO SIDEWAYS movement, just a slight twist and pull straight up, or you will break off a retaining finger in the slide. If the needle has clips grooves and is adjustable, it's aftermarket.. that and the 3x3 hole in the air box.... is a for sure indicator....

Yea, take the seat off and see if there is a large hole cut out of the top of the airbox, approx. 3 x 3".

You don't even need to take the seat off, pull the side cover off (no tools necessary) and look at the top of the air box.

• Like 2

You don't even need to take the seat off, pull the side cover off (no tools necessary) and look at the top of the air box.

Again, still.. all that will tell you is if someone cut a hole in the air box..

A hole in the air box IS NOT the 3x3 MOD.. which requires jetting as part of the mod.

I understand what some here are suggesting.. but from watching this forum list for a few years now (2003) ... many a confused user has JUST cut a hole in the air box with no other work done.... and called it the 3x3 mod... Thus my suggestion.. dig a bit deeper than looking for JUST the air box hole.

To each his own, do what works for you.

• Like 1

Again, still.. all that will tell you is if someone cut a hole in the air box..

Oh I very much agree, cutting a hole in the air box and not properly jetting the carb is just asking for trouble.

• Like 1

I agree with OhioYJ, but honestly my reponse was tongue-in-cheek... I guess what difference does it really make. If they cut a hole in the airbox, then they were screwing around with the bike. Just take it for a spin and get a feel for how it runs, that's more important in my book.

Edited by bmwpowere36m3

Welcome to TT.... :cheers:

This video will give you an outline of what is involved to do the 3x3 and jet kit install...

Make sure you post up some pics of your new bike ... :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the great feedback. Good to know there is such a community here for this outstanding bike. I will be sure to get pics up soon

• Like 1