Replacing a 300 piston at 350 hrs

My brother finally broke down and as doing a top end job on his 2005 KTM 300. Only has a smidge over 350 hrs on the OEM piston. Very little blow by and the cylinder looks great. :cool:

Looks damn good to me!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by dhdrider

Original rings too?

Original rings too?

Yep! :thumbsup: He doesn't race or anything, but still impressive if you ask me.

Is that measured with an actual hour meter?

Edited by nofb

What oil and what ratio was he using?

Is that measured with an actual hour meter?

Yep it was.

What oil and what ratio was he using?

Golden Spectro at 60:1. The guy he bought it from 4 or 5 years ago ran Golden Spectro since new and then gave a couple cases of it to him when he bought it so my brother just kept running it.

Go stock/vertex. Same thing, but the stock kit gives you all the gaskets, o rings etc. I......on popular opinion,put an oem 2 piston in a 1 cylinder at 200 hours. F all increase in compression on gauge or performance, but it ran noticeably hotter. wouldn't do it again.

I now want a ktm 300, Is it normal to be able to get high hours out of these bikes like this? I would want to set it up as a trail weapon thats possibly street legal, What do they normally run price wise as well? I found a 02 300 for 1500.. and this. http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/3758140260.html

I now want a ktm 300, Is it normal to be able to get high hours out of these bikes like this? I would want to set it up as a trail weapon thats possibly street legal, What do they normally run price wise as well? I found a 02 300 for 1500.. and this. http://longisland.cr...3758140260.html

I would say that 350 hrs is possible for many 300 riders but rarely ever seen because it's a bit risky considering how easy and cheap a top end job is. My brother will admit he went too long, but sometimes life gets in the way and the "I'll do the top end in a few weeks" turns into a year...or two. He never had any symptoms that he needed a top end, he just knew it was past due and just finally had the time to get to it. For his style of riding, I would guess that he would aim for closer to 200 hrs as his service interval.

Also, if you do extended service road riding or any street, that's gonna bring down your hours interval as well with all the sustained high RPM riding.

Edited by dhdrider

I would say that 350 hrs is possible for many 300 riders but rarely ever seen because it's a bit risky considering how easy and cheap a top end job is. My brother will admit he went too long, but sometimes life gets in the way and the "I'll do the top end in a few weeks" turns into a year...or two. He never had any symptoms that he needed a top end, he just knew it was past due and just finally had the time to get to it. For his style of riding, I would guess that he would aim for closer to 200 hrs as his service interval.

Also, if you do extended service road riding or any street, that's gonna bring down your hours interval as well with all the sustained high RPM riding.

good to know, very useful, thank you

Good stuff, guy I met at a trailhead had a Husaberg 300 that looked like it had been through a war. He told me the mechanic at the dealer suggests 300 hours or until it won't start for a top end.