Sign in to follow this  

Knee Pain From Over Flexed Knees While Riding. Help!

I have a 05 CR250R I ride and race enduros and CC. I am 46 (I know, I am no spring chicken) and 6' tall. I am having problem with knee pain from having my knees in what I think is a over flexed riding position. When I am sitting on the bike it seems as though my knees are over flexed vs sitting on my 08 CRF450R. Going from sitting to standing on my 05 CR250R seems to be a larger range of motion in my knees vs other bikes I own, owned, or have rode. I prefer to stand while riding and will corner standing if the corner is not to tight. Anyone out there have this issue and if so what have you done to correct? I have purchased Fastway pegs and will put in the lower position and thinking about a taller seat.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I am 35, 6' tall and ride a 01 CR250 (chassis before yours) offroad in Vet A class. No knee issues here or issues transferring from seated to standing position. Have rode the new CR chassis on MX track and no issue there either. Also had no issues when racing 450x a few years ago.

By over flexed you mean over 90 degree bend in your legs when seated?

When your standing are you locking out your legs/knees as that could be a problem?

Are you wearing comfortable knee shin braces?

Do you run or bike to exercise your knees regularly? I know you said the other bike didn't do it but knee exercise is important, particularly biking is good since it is low impact and works the knees pretty directly.

Anyways just semi close to your bike, size and age so figured I'd reply. Hope you figure it out!

Regards!

I am 35, 6' tall and ride a 01 CR250 (chassis before yours) offroad in Vet A class. No knee issues here or issues transferring from seated to standing position. Have rode the new CR chassis on MX track and no issue there either. Also had no issues when racing 450x a few years ago.

By over flexed you mean over 90 degree bend in your legs when seated?

When your standing are you locking out your legs/knees as that could be a problem?

Are you wearing comfortable knee shin braces?

Do you run or bike to exercise your knees regularly? I know you said the other bike didn't do it but knee exercise is important, particularly biking is good since it is low impact and works the knees pretty directly.

Anyways just semi close to your bike, size and age so figured I'd reply. Hope you figure it out!

Regards!

When sitting on the bike my knees are over 90 degrees flexed and I work out 3 days a week doing crossfit training. I am trying not to do deep squats anymore while training. Unfortunately 35 years is a big difference in age. After 40 body parts tend to go south.

well it sounds like you have it figured out. Your knees are not in the neutral position, which causes strain, you cant exercise that out, you have to remove the cause of the strain.

Plus as you get old the range decreases, look up dynamic knee stretches - do NOT do static stretches they will only make it worse..

you might look into a knee brace as well, that will support the knew vs the ligaments and tendons and it restricts your motion preventing you from putting your knee into the position that will get it hurt.

Try a taller seat. I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam and I the taller seat really helps out my knees. You give up touch in the handling department when seated or dabbing in technical terrain, but at the end of the day, my knees appreciate a tall seat. Low pegs help, but that's less than half an inch where the seat can get you and inch or 2 depending on which company you go with, also, get the firm foam to keep from sinking in too much.

I have noticed that I have the bad habit of riding duck footed. This will cause pain in my knees. If I make sure that my toes are pointed forward, no more pain + added bike control.

It sucks that I have had this bad habit for years and just figured it out now. Is it possible your doing the same?