Sign in to follow this  

No neutral light

I was riding last night and noticed the neutral light would start flickering sporadically when I accelerated. When I got to a stop and put it in neutral the dash light didn't come on at all. I tried putting the kick stand down and starting it in neutral and that was a no-go.

I searched the forums and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. Has anybody dealt with this before?

Thanks

Edited by Jimbohlia

If it's just no light it could be the bulb. If it's not starting and no nuetral light it's probably the nuetral safety switch.

Edited by TxTiger

As far as I know the nuetral light indicator has nothing to do with the bike starting or not starting, I removed the nuetral indicator and the wiring several years back from my S and replaced it with and E blank plate.

If the nuetral safety switch is inop, there will be no nuetral light and no power to the starter.

As far as I know the nuetral light indicator has nothing to do with the bike starting or not starting, I removed the nuetral indicator and the wiring several years back from my S and replaced it with and E blank plate.

Why would you do that?

• Like 1

If the nuetral safety switch is inop, there will be no nuetral light and no power to the starter.

It's definitely not inoperable but I think I might just be partially operable (if that's possible) because the bike runs fine.

Why would you do that?

I did it as part of my "complete wiring elimination package." My bike is used 95% offroad, so the only electronics I'm running are a brake/tail light and a headlight. E-start is gone, digital display is gone, as are turn signals, all of the clutch wiring, etc. I have less wiring on my S than there is on an E wiring diagram.

• Like 1

Well, it turns out the wire running from the neutral sensor switch got nipped by my chain and that is what was causing the no neutral light problem. I'm gonna reroute that wire so it doesn't cause any more problems. Thanks for the suggestions and help!