Sign in to follow this  

2001 kx 125

Anyone know the socket size of the rear axle nut on a 2001 kx 125? Manual says the thread size is 18mm if that helps.

i just use an adjustable wrench

aka = Japanese torque wrench :lol:

Anyone know the socket size of the rear axle nut on a 2001 kx 125? Manual says the thread size is 18mm if that helps.

It is 27mm. If you don't have a 27mm tool, then 1 and 1/16" is 26.9875mm

Should be 32mm

...but it ain't (2003+...yes ///// 2002 on back to 1986 or so, 27mm)

i just use an adjustable wrench

Please don't. Also, please don't come on here telling others that you do.

Please don't. Also, please don't come on here telling others that you do.

I do it all the time on both my street bike and dirt bikes and i have never had issues...

i'm not talking about a pipe wrench that will ruin the nut i'm talking about something with smooth jaws, just a regular adjustable wrench.

tell me why i should not use it for the axle nut?

I see that proper tools, proper torque, etc. means little to you. Given the choice, I think most other people would prefer a properly torqued axle nut before going high speed on a street bike.

How do YOU know when to stop tightening it??

Edited by KDXGarage

I agree with KDX that you SHOULD use proper tools with torque wrenches if you have the choice, I was just trying to help a dude with another option to get back on his bike asap.

I can tell when to stop tightening my rear axle by feeling. (castle nuts with cotter pins are pretty easy to tell when they're torqued right IMO)

I always use proper tools and torque wrench for more sensitive parts on the bike (motor, drain bolts, fork tubes, etc.) but i feel like this can be easily done without...

If you don't feel comfortable, use a torque wrench.