What can I use to clean my air filter besides air filter cleaner and soapy water?

I have cleaned my air filter numerous amounts of times in 5 or 6 different tubs of cold soapy water dumping each frequently to get dirt and grime out. The air filter is half clean but not clean enough. I am not paying the ridiculous prices of the cleaners at the dealers etc... so what would be another good chemical I could use to clean it thouroughly I heard paint thinner but not sure if it will work or not or if it will damage the filter itself. Let me know what you guys think hoping to get it cleaned to go for a razz tommorow.

I use mineral turpentine (Turps), I use to use petrol but it was just messy and stinks. I Clean my filters with the turps, rinse them in warm soapy water then finish them off with the hose or a bucket of just water. I spray them with the air nozzle from the air compressor (gets rid of all the little leftover grit and grass out of the filter pores). They come out looking brand new

You must use solvent (Gasoline) to clean the filter, if you use petroleum based filter oil.

You don't need anything stronger (MEK, Benzine, Tolulene, etc) unless you want serious arthritis later in life (ask me how I know)...

You CAN use Dawn liquid soap, but it takes a while (5-10 washes)

No Toil is a non-petroleum oil and oil cleaner/soap system that works great.

I think it's done good enough! Over working it will break down the fine pores. Don't squeeze the hell out of it. Wash fliud should always be introduced from the inside and flow opposite to the air flow.. Ur bike can handle very fine particulates. It's all part of normal ware and tear. The fact you care this much says that u likely are extending ur engine life. Go riding and keep it reasonable cle an. I like to grease lightly the air box and even the boot leading into the carb.

Edited by bikedad1

Funny, we buy foam that promises to flow more air, then have to use special filter oils to keep the dust out. Then they would have us buying special cleaners. If the foam was a finer filter to start with it could probably be run dry and just rinsed out with water. An oem kawaski klr filter probably filters more dry than an uni with belray, LOL

Gas, then a quick dunk in hot dish soap water.

I have heard people saying that the gas will break down the filter faster. So the filter lasts 7 years rather than 8? The filter is a $25 part, and you always have gas around.

No need to spend big money on Gucci chemicals for a $25 part.

Edited by Leardriver
  • Like 1

There you go Shout it out! My opinion is clean is relatively clean, don't damage the pores and don't worry about getting it sparkling clean. The real reason we clean is to allow it to breath more. From a filtering perspective, the small guys that get caught are actually clogging a smaller hole that a smaller particle could other wise get through. If you look at these things under a microscope then can be relatively sharp since they still exist as original rock mineral down 0.006 mm. Smaller than that they are classified as clays, wich are generally silica based (glass) with various oxides blah blah blah... More important to make sure the dam thing is sealed against the air box and you have light grease in the carb boot.

• Like 1

now there's a man after my own heart! counting pennies on air filter cleaner. I may be just a bad... I drain shit gas out of projects and keep that on hand!. Changed the fuel filter on my diesel truck and now I got a liter of clean diesel on hand. Can you really trust advice from a guy like me! bet my bikes are better maintained than the average joe! My air compressor is my best friend for cleaning and drying all sorts of stuff (threads, bolts, floor, sandy chain, I blow dry all sensitive parts after washing). Anything!

Edited by bikedad1