Real Rookie Mistake

Hey guys, I brought a kx125 for $1900 (in aus thats cheap) knowing that i might have to fix a thing or two so i replaced about $700 in parts like

brake disks and pads

chain sprockets etc etc

i brought new plastics and grahics for about $400

so ive spent about $3k in total

NOW here is where it gets sucky

my gears wernt working so i got a mechanic from work to pull it apart and see what was going on and it turns out most of the gears are rooted... this really sucks because now im pretty much going to need to rebuild the engine to get everything running good

kinda suckish cos i wont be able to ride for about 2 months as i cant afford to chuck all the money i need into it straight away...

for newbies who buy a second hand bike either pull the engine apart or get someone to do it for you...

yeah well it really sucks ass, i could fix the bare minium and get away with that but then things are gonna be broken again soon so i might as well do it all at once, so im pretty much replacing gear box, doing a top and bottom end and clutch. which will be F%$KING insane once its done it will be heaps strong engine, but its just so expensive on my shitty wage and will take me off the bike for ages

Keep an eye on eBay. Here is a set for$100. There may be others, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Kawasaki-KX-125-KX125-transmission-gears-/170986256161?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cf933721&vxp=mtr

Don't be so hard on yourself. It won't (or shouldn't) cost much to rebuild that motor, and once you do, it will be like new. Might as well do it right.

• Like 1

Not picking on you ,but next time before you spend 400.00 on plastic and graphics ,you probably should make sure your engine is all good. That 400 probably could have rebuilt the bottom end.

• Like 2

I agree, it's not what the bike looks like that gets you down the trail.

Not picking on you ,but next time before you spend 400.00 on plastic and graphics ,you probably should make sure your engine is all good. That 400 probably could have rebuilt the bottom end.

We all learn valuable lessons. Like me lending out my bike to someone I was reassured I could trust. Well, when the bike was returned to me, the guy blew up the trans, the crank and the expensive 300 bb topend. When confronted, he disappears and i never see him again. Was an expensive rebuild and a hard lesson.

Edited by bansheedave
  • Like 1

We all learn valuable lessons. Like me lending out my bike to someone I was reassured I could trust. Well, when the bike was returned to me, the guy blew up the trans, the crank and the expensive 300 bb topend. When confronted, he disappears and i never see him again. Was an expensive rebuild and a hard lesson.

So he was abusing your bike?? or did it just shit itself at a time he had it.I hear this all the time and it happened to a freind of mine.Let his mate ride it and she went bang at no fault of the rider.(as i was riding with him all day and he wasn't beating it at all.wasnt expericed enough)

I tell all my mates who ride my bike,if you crash it you pay for parts and ill fix it,if it goes bang it would have done it to me anyway so dont wrry bout it.

But those i let borrow my bike are seasoned riders that know how to use a bike and a few freinds that are new to riding and couldnt thash it if they tried

Edited by pantera66

He took it to the dunes and abused it. I gave explicit instructions and when they returned it, I could tell they ignored me. I had just rebuilt the motor top to bottom and put a 300 big bore on it. Got it back, they took out tranny, and what looks like they didn't mix the gas right and took out the crank and the piston. It also took a huge chunk out of the sleeve. I found out that they mix their gas by, that looks good to me measurement. Once I told them the damage extent, they disappeared and never seen the kid again. And the neighbor stopped talking to me and avoided any contact.

Edited by bansheedave

• 3 weeks later...