FLYH2O

Wide rear tire vs slim?

I have a WR450 that needs a new rear rubber. Is there a benefit on having a wider tire size or a thinner tire?

I know on my street bike the wider tire turns or falls into corners a bit slower . I'm wondering if my WR will grab better traction on the steep mud covered root littered single track we have in British Columbia's hills with a wide tread?

Are there bad points going to a 130/90/18?

With a wider tire you will deffinitely have better traction on almost any terrain. But you will loose some speed, im not sure if it will affect the handling though. Hope this helps

I have a WR450 that needs a new rear rubber. Is there a benefit on having a wider tire size or a thinner tire?

I know on my street bike the wider tire turns or falls into corners a bit slower . I'm wondering if my WR will grab better traction on the steep mud covered root littered single track we have in British Columbia's hills with a wide tread?

Are there bad points going to a 130/90/18?

I was running 140s for a while. The gnarlier the terrain, the wider tire I prefer. The seem to mold over slippery rocks and roots better due to their larger footprint. The only downside I found was the wider tires are also taller which affected the balance of the bike. I have ran both the wider tires on my 500exc and 250 2ts.....I have been playing with 130s the last two races and found the 130 will be the size I will settle on. Not quite as tall but still a large enough footprint.....

I just started using wider tires and find that they handle way better in the roots, ruts and mud. Because they are wider, I find that you actually "float" through ruts since they don't fall deep into them which really helps your with speed.

Turning is not as good just because it's a wider tire, but I've gotten used to it.

• Like 1

I ride rocks and dirt, some sand, I have run 140s, 120s and I am now gonna stay with Pirelli XCMH 110 rear, I get as much traction below 7000rpm as a 140 and my single track handling is 110% faster and better, I can change directions with ease, whereas the 140 tires, man, it was a wrestling match just to change directions in the tight trails.

BTW, the XCMH 140 measures 130mm at the widest knob (the worn tire on the right), and the 110 XCMH measures 120mm at the widest knob (the new tire on the bike).

The 140 cost $95, the 110 costs $68

Husky110Pirelli_zpsd7a1b3c6.jpg

• Like 1

I have a seriously tiny rear on my 125 right now, and it looks really bitchy, but I like how it handles! Not ideal for rocks and roots, but it's so much more fun on the track because it handles so much better. not sure on the dimensions I think it's a 100/90-19 but IDK it's still at my friends house.

I was running a 120 on my 450 and just switched to a 110 to try to get it to corner better. The bikes needs all the help it can get in the turning department! I say go 110.

I ride rocks and dirt, some sand, I have run 140s, 120s and I am now gonna stay with Pirelli XCMH 110 rear, I get as much traction below 7000rpm as a 140 and my single track handling is 110% faster and better, I can change directions with ease, whereas the 140 tires, man, it was a wrestling match just to change directions in the tight trails.

BTW, the XCMH 140 measures 130mm at the widest knob (the worn tire on the right), and the 110 XCMH measures 120mm at the widest knob (the new tire on the bike).

The 140 cost $95, the 110 costs $68

Husky110Pirelli_zpsd7a1b3c6.jpg

Wish I lived closer to ya. I would buy that old one and run it a while.

• Like 2

Rim width has a direct effect on how a given width tire will perform offroad. Too wide a tire on a "narrow" rim will not perform as well as the same tire, on a wider rim. I don't know about motorcycle tires(specifically offroad), but tire companies advertise a "range" of rim widths, for a given size(width, aspect ratio, etc.). On my GasGas enduro, I run a 120/90/18. On my KX 250 I'm running a 120/80/19.

• Like 1

On 19.05.2013 at 6:06 PM, MotorbikeMike17 said:

With a wider tire you will deffinitely have better traction on almost any terrain. But you will loose some speed, im not sure if it will affect the handling though. Hope this helps

what a BS.

• Like 1

My CRF250X stock tire is 100/100-18, at the end of last season I upsized to a 110/100-18 Maxxis IT.

On a relatively low torque engine like this I immediately noticed some loss in performance (extra tire weight and increased rolling diameter)

Traction wise no complaints, but handling wise it just doesn't steer and especialy doesn't want to sidehill quite as easily as before.

Even after 3 rides the tire still looks brand new so I've decided to sell it off and switching back to a 100/100-18 IT.

Since there are no specific measuring standards, a tire from one manufacturer can be much smaller/larger than an another

complicating things even more... For the same indicated size, I've found Kenda seem way smaller than Maxxis.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I like 110's better than 120's.

I find the skinner tire cuts through slimy mud quicker finding bottom and biting better and makes the bike corner better too.

Wide tires are better on rock hard stuff as they put more rubber on the ground and for floating in sand.

• Like 1

I like big tires better and if you like a wider rim works even better too... like a 2.5” wider rear rim on my old cr here. Wider rims were an old time mod more popular from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s early 2000’s etc. I don’t know why it’s not popular now especially for enduro and extreme.  I guess trends come and go.  Now some go with 2.5” but so few. Some setups in the past went with wider. Look at some vintage racing mx bikes from  the 80’s. Wide rims are common.

There even was 17” rear rims for old mx bikes. Bigger footprint and softer ride and great traction.  My 82. 430 cr vintage racer setup has a 2.75” width 18” rear rim upgrade . I guess that’s trick as stock I believe a 17” rim was stock. Got more choices of tires with an 28”.  I’m going way further back than just a bigger tire in back but I’m just opening it up more because riders now don’t look at a wider view of mods that have been used for a long long time. 

For ex.. This worked great covering some for suspension partly too. 

Bottom line big tires and footprint works well for an option  .

F16D338E-7989-4A7B-8D3F-ADB65A8C1762.png

4A9330AE-753D-45E5-9A9F-8F857E9FBB30.png

5FB339AE-1F23-4889-9DAE-65A6D5E197C7.png

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Skinnier=less deflection on rocks.  
I laughed at that.
That is wrong on all accounts.
I run a 4.5 tire and I don't deflect, I just soak.

Depending on the application or the tire will depend on what size.

Single track, rocks roots and uphill, wider tire.
Track, obviously not.

2 hours ago, joey330 said:

I laughed at that.

Track, obviously not.

Yea I thought opposite too but wondered if more info explanation might follow. The bigger tire adds to the cushion for a smoother ride and better hookup and better braking. .. all part of the bigger footprint.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joey330 said:

I laughed at that.

Track, obviously not.

I laughed at that.

Tires don't "soak" anything, they have no damping ability.  The same physics that applies to a dribbling basketballs applies to tires.  

Wider tires are going to hit more rocks, because they are wider.  Same reason why fat chicks get rubbed on more at concerts.  

Wider tires are also more prone to pinch flats.  

Good thing you included the disclaimer "Depending on the application or the tire will depend on what size" to go with "That is wrong on all accounts."   Together it all makes total sense.  🎅

If HDR is agreeing with you, you may want to rethink whatever it is. 

Edited by crypto666

reading these forums, I think I want to go wide in the rear down the road as well!!

I know someone who has the TW200 and mentioned he loves the fats in the rear. Slow, but very capable. I would say if most trails are rocky and straight on, I think a fat tire would benefit. haven't tried it though

Would you guys say a fat tire works better in technical/rocky/gravely trails?

Edited by willc86

I laughed at that.
Tires don't "soak" anything, they have no damping ability.  The same physics that applies to a dribbling basketballs applies to tires.  
Wider tires are going to hit more rocks, because they are wider.  Same reason why fat chicks get rubbed on more at concerts.  
Wider tires are also more prone to pinch flats.  

Good thing you included the disclaimer "Depending on the application or the tire will depend on what size" to go with "That is wrong on all accounts."   Together it all makes total sense.  
If HDR is agreeing with you, you may want to rethink whatever it is. 

Actually tires do have a damping effect.

For instance an 18" vs a 19"... More sidewall = more what? Thank you.

Wider tires cover more surface are as well, meaning that instead of pinging off rocks you can roll over Rocks.

Guess I'll let you research the "damping effect" as that was the only thing you argued.
  • Like 1