Sign in to follow this  

400ex to dirt bike?

hi, im new to thumper.first post.anyways i have a 400ex thats piped jetted, and semi modded. Im looking to sell that and get a dirt bike. Im 16, 5'9, 150lbs.ive ridden a couple dirt bikes before for example- 98 wr400 (Rode it eazy)-crf150f (man handled it, too small) and a crf230f (man handled it, pinned the whole time).ive rode quads and a few dirt bikes for 11 years so i have experience 85% of the time is in the trail and 15% is track(steep hilclimbs, mud holes, fast trails, open roads, and single or race track, long distance). Im looking for a bike that would be great for trail/ track.2 stroke or 4 stroke.i want a bike that i can handle but will also scare me.Any suggestions?My friends have a range of bikes from kx100s to 450rs so i need something that can keep up and my limit as far as pricing is $2850.

Either a 250 smoker or a 450. They will both scare you until you have a few hours of seat time on them.

i would go with a 250f, you should be able to get a nice one for around 2500. for your age and weight will probably suit you best. I just picked up a 07 yz250f for 2k and i love it

Thanks for your posts.Now what's your opinion on steel vs. Aluminum frames?I personally like aluminum but is it worth spending more money?

well KTM is really the only company that is still producing bikes with a steel frames, so if you get a newer MX bike it's most likely going to be aluminum which i do think is better but KTM's are great machines!

I though ktms are known to break and when they do it costs a lot to fix?

The older ones had some issues, i havent heard of much trouble from newer ones. A couple of the guys i ride with have 2012's and one 13 but i havent spent enough time on one to tell you much about them.

Its tough because I only have three grand to spend which leads me to older bikes.im looking at smokers because there cheaper in almost every aspect

get a 125 or 250 smoker or if you don't mind a heavy bike for those times your on the track maybe an exc 200-300? haven't ridden one but heard lots of good about them. maybe a kdx or an xr if the track isn't too dear to you. personally wouldn't go with any of the newer 4 strokes (race bike that is,... xr's, drz's and klx's are pretty much bulletproof) too much $$$ to be spent on rebuilds. smokers are the way to go.

Edited by younggunz
  • Like 1