Sign in to follow this  

K&N Air Filters

I have a 2013 crf250r and i was thinking about getting a K&N air filter simply because i have one on my truck and i like the ease of cleaning it. My question is do these air filters protect AS WELL if not better than a normal foam filter? I read things on the internet where people say they work great until you get sand or water or what have you. I just want to hear from people who use them on their bikes, do you think they filter the air as well?

(Also, if i put one on my bike would i have to change anything? I assume not because its FI correct? Just throw it on and go?)

Usually its a no no for dirt use especially if you are in a dry/dusty area. I'm sure it would work for awhile but after they get older they develop little pinholes through the whole filter. I bought a yz125 a couple years ago and after buying i took the seat off to find a paper air filter. It was obvious it was not very well maintained and let a whole lot of dirt through. The boot was caked with sand luckily the bottom end was in spec. If you had a dual sport/supermoto it might be okay but i personally wouldn't use one on a dirt only bike. If you're looking for a easy cleaning filter i recommend using no toil oil and cleaner.

• Like 1

TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, where did you get these #s, I have found nothing to confirm them anywhere.

I have used K&N filters on various on and off road applications for many years  (40+) with no sign of the filter supplying anything but clean air to the motor. I'm not disputing your figures but they sound more like oil filter #s than air filter.

I dont have any numbers for you, and never had a twinair, but I can say a uni filters better than stock. Evidenced by more crud in the filter and less in the carbs.

i bought i yz125 that had one and when i took it off there was about 1/4 of filth i the air boot.

then i discovered the crank was bad and the cylinder needed a replate there was grit on the piston and head along  with some in the bottom end