2012 WR - Noise from engine

Hey guys,

I just went out on a ride today and I've noticed a tinny sound starting to come from the engine. I notice it big time while in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have about 2000 KMs on my bike. It almost sounds like someone is tapping a tin can and the faster the RPM goes up, the speed of the sound Im hearing increases aswell. Any ideas on what this? Valves maybe? Also, there has been no top end work or engine work on the bike at all. Thanks in advance!

Edited by xXNewfie709Xx

Cam chain? - sticky tensioner maybe

valves get quieter as they close up, so its not them

The WR engines are bullet proof, so I doubt its anything to worry about

Have you fitted anything recently, like an aluminium bash guard, coz they vibrate

Edited by GuyGraham

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I havent bolted anything new onto my bike recently. I will tho go over everything again tomrorow and check for tighness on all the bolts. But the sound I hear is coming from the motor for sure. I just have to pin point it. When getting into my cam chain, can I just adjust that without much trouble?

Cam chain tensioner is stepless, in that it is spring loaded and takes up as much slack as the psring pressure will allow

Its not a rachet type with clicks between each step

Good idea to check all nuts and bolts - It'll be something silly like the exhaust heatshield

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure myself and Robbie (aka:Guard1) rode with you to the talc mines last year . If you need a hand just give me a shout. Robbie has my #.

Yes man we did! We should get out again now soon! Id like to do the Nature trail up by his cabin.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update:

Needed a valve job done. Bike has 6k kms on it and they needed to be shimmed aswell!

The valves needed to be reseated at 6k ?   Why ?

When did you first check the clearances ?   The only reason I can think for it needing a valve job is if they aren't closing properly and the seats get burnt.

My 2012 WR makes a funny sound at idle as well.   I can't say it sounds bad, but it does sound unusual, at least to my ear.    Mine has about 150 miles on it.

I've got over 13k on my 2008 Wr450f and the valves are still well within spec. I've heard of others that had to do the shims but a complete value job at 6k?!? That's early for a high strung Yz engine, a Wr should last much longer. Unless it was running very VERY lean.

Edited by warrens73

I have over 7k I ride the bike like I stole it To the bar full throttle. Im putting my 3rd set of desert it tires on the back this summer I swear to god theres not a knob left on them smooth as a inflated garbage bag

My bike never gets a break I hate to be the guy who buys this thing after me

I should of bough a YZ buy the way I ride this bike

Valves needed to be shimmed. Got alot of riding in over the last year and a half. I noticed power/speed loss and after the job was done and now its all  back to normal again.

Its all in your mind

Valve clearances close up as they wear, which actually increase the lift of the valve and hence gives you more power

When the correct clearance is re-established during a valve shim job, the valve lift decreases, so if anything your bike will make less power.