Who uses a fuel filter on their 2t?

I have never used a fuel filter on my 2t, heard it would just clog cause the oil mix. Anyone have personal experience/info about it?

To me it's common sense and automatic that you can't trust how clean fuel is and what's in your tank. Actually once in a while you should clean out your tank and take off and clean the screen for your petcock. I've always put a fuel filter on my bikes.. It's also never been a problem but a benefit. When you see the crap that's in the screen on the petcock and the rubbish in the fuel filter just know that it would be in your carb. It's super cheap insurance.. what is it $5 or $6 or less. I like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Visu-In-Line-Fuel-Filter-90-Small-Snowmobile-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-Atv-Utv-Quad-/150917138477?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23235cc82d&vxp=mtr

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Learn something new ever day, I didn't know there was a screen built into the pitcock valve, and apparently the guy at the bike shop didn't either. Im pretty good about keeping dirt out when I fill it.

Learn something new ever day, I didn't know there was a screen built into the pitcock valve, and apparently the guy at the bike shop didn't either. Im pretty good about keeping dirt out when I fill it.

Yea and sometimes the screen breaks and rubbish gets past. You never know until you look. Sometimes the rubbish in your tank limits fuel flow too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-YZ80-YZ85-2-STROKE-YZ250F-YZ400F-YZ426F-YZ450F-4-STROKE-PETCOCK-/200926741473?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec82ac3e1&vxp=mtr

I would say def put a filter on. Very cheap and will keep sand and dirt out of the carb which would clog the float. A single grain gets in there in the right spot and it's clogged and stuck. The screen doesn't work the greatest, sand gets past it. Oil and gas are a solution, not a mixture, they can't be separated very easily.

I always use a filter and have never had a problem specifically with the premix clogging it. But apparently the screen in the tank DOES let some stuff past because everything I see in the filter passed thru the tank. So everything you see in the filter...the next stop for it was your JETS.

I always have, and i always will (so thats 40 years of riding). cheap insurance, never had one gum up with oil. I use one made of plastic i can see through. really easy to see if fuel is getting to my carb or not if i am diagnosing stuff.

• Like 1

I run a filter on my old bike. The petcock tubes and screen disintegrated so I replaced the tubes with some aluminum stock from OSH, and then installed a filter. No flow issues and they do pick up lots of crap, I clean my tank out every season too.

Somehow, a bee flew into my tank at some point, his pieces all ended up in the filter. That was funny to see!

I cleaned out the tank and took off the petcock on my bike and there was my pet cock in there,dead at the bottom.

Why did Little Johnnie's mom put socks on his pet rooster?

Nevermind...Yess, I use micro inline "Visu-filters" on every single "offroad" vehicle; tractors, bikes, you name it. Would not do otherwise, seeing what makes it past the tank screen somehow.

What do you use to clean the tank?

For me it's just a little gas but have it off and shake it around and turn it upside down and dump . I take off the petcock off sometimes but rarely to check the screen. I saw this other product that has a screen by the gas cap.. Maybe that's good..I don't know anyone that has it.. kind of overkill especially if already having an inline filter.. For EFI I would put it though.. but I don't have EFI.

http://motocrossacti...ae0a572d37.aspx

http://www.split-stream.com/

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1