Tie downs causing fork seals to leak?

I use a fork brace when I travel 300 plus miles, short trips no brace

The only reason why is I use a hitch carrier and it takes some of the movement of the bike away and yes I use four two inch straps plus antirattle device on my carrier

You just don't know when you have to stop quick

• Like 1

I struggled with this as well.

Fork seals leak because they are worn or damaged. The seals have two wipers in the compression direction that use pressure within the fork (and the internal O-Spring) to prevent the oil from leaking out. They also have one wiper with only the O-spring to keep the stuff outside from getting in.

The seals fail when dirt grinds little grooves into these wipers, the wipers are torn, or they simply lose their elasticity (because they are old).

So I blamed my leaks on hauling with the springs compressed. But as I thought about it, the leaks happened in spring when I was riding in sandy mud. In my case, the bike was used and I have no idea how old the seals were. Both mine and my son's seals began leaking after that trip.

The reason your seals leak when you haul your bike is simply because the seals are shot (or maybe they are OK, but there is some grime between the wiper and the piston), and you have positive pressure in the forks for enough time for you to notice the leak. Since you compress the forks some even if you use a block, I would bet they would leak a little even with the block.

Because the seals are designed primarily to keep what is INSIDE the fork from getting out, and are designed to use the pressure inside the fork to assist with this, I would not bleed the forks when compressed. When you release the tie-downs, your forks will have a vacuum inside them. Now the outside air pressure will work against the single external wiper and suck any stuff you may have between the dust seal and the oil seal into the internal wipers. If you didn't have leaky forks before, you will now.

As with most things, you are always well served to keep the outside world outside. Internal pressure helps that.

When I replaced my seals, i packed the space between the dust wiper and the oil seal with grease. This was the first time I did it with fork seals, but I have done it with other double oil seal applications before where there was no external pressure (nitrogen seal pressure, etc.). My rationale is that the grease will lubricate the piston/seal interface on the compression stroke (probably stupid and not necessary). But more importantly, the grease will capture dust and entrain it, not allowing it to bind on the piston and score the compression wipers of the seal. Time will tell.

My guess is that you had dirt caked to the forks and didn't get it washed off after you broke your hand. It got sucked up into the seal and caused your problem.

This will cure the leaky seals.

You can use 35mm film negatives instead of this "special" tool.

Then change your fork oil and install some of these.

41dIB0G-jXL._SX300_.jpg

No more leaky forks, regardless of using the brace or not.

Edited by DrFeelGood

My guess is that you had dirt caked to the forks and didn't get it washed off after you broke your hand. It got sucked up into the seal and caused your problem

WRONG!!!!! My bikes are kept VERY clean, and maintained. When into that trailer, before we rode it was as usual spotlessly clean as brand new as per usual! A drip of oil was noticed after my first session. When my bike arrived home it was washed thoroughly the next day by pressure, and hand as usual. My forks are also void of hard water spots after washing as well

WRONG!!!!! My bikes are kept VERY clean, and maintained. When into that trailer, before we rode it was as usual spotlessly clean as brand new as per usual! A drip of oil was noticed after my first session. When my bike arrived home it was washed thoroughly the next day by pressure, and hand as usual. My forks are also void of hard water spots after washing as well

But the forks were not clean while riding which is when the seals become damaged. The leaking during transport is because of internal air pressure over time forcing the the oil thru scrap marks on the seal lips. You don't notice that while riding because the pressure is intermittent and the leak is slight enough to be absorbed by dirt.

• Like 3

. The first time my bike gets cranked, and he did crank it, the seals both start seeping at the same time???? Coincidence??? It's not a big deal to replace the seals, it's the point of him acting like a little bitch with an irritated c--- that irks me

There's your proof right there that the seals had an issue BEFORE trailered.

You say they leaked immediately on cinch down. Well then they were leaking.

You do (I hope) compress your forks more than that when riding.

Edited by tribalbc

I stand corrected.....as usual. I prefaced it with, "My guess is that..."

I'd use the brace if I were you. If you have forks that spontaneously leak (without dirt contamination being a possibility), just from a little compression, then I'd recommend not compressing them at all. :prof:

Not really sure how a fork brace would help. The ads say "increase fork seal and spring life". Really? So a fork seal can withstand all kinds of heat and pressure cycles during a moto, but not a more constant pressure from tie-downs. Hmm. As for spring-life, your springs will never lose their spring rate. They may compress gradually over many cycles, but increasing preload is all you would need to do to get the same performance from an old spring. The idea to release air from the bleeders sounds fine, as long as you hit the bleeders again when you get it off the truck or trailer, which we all do anyway. As for the interpersonal relationship . . . that offers some opportunity for improvement. No throwing stuff unless it's clearly a joke. Otherwise, it's just bullying. You don't need that and, right or wrong about the brace, if it makes you feel better, you should use the brace. It is your prerogative and it does no harm to anyone else.

The fork seals did not leak because of tie downs. However, if you are not careful with a pressure washer, you can drive sand and dirt right up those dust seals into the fork seals. A little goes a long way. I know you didn't do that, but squeaky clean bikes sometimes have corrupted seals and rusty bearings because of well-intentioned pressure washing. I am not saying your bike is one of those, but there are a lot of them out there, and I have bought quite a few. I actually blew a countershaft seal myself by stupidly getting the front sprocket nice and clean. It was a mess. But, I digress.

What I am saying, without any reservation, is that tying it down did not cause the fork seals to leak. That doesn't make your buddy's behavior any less repugnant, but you don't need a bad result to prove that.

Edited by Dragon67
  • Like 1

The brace won't hurt, but you would serve yourself to consider these things rationally. I would liken the oil seals to windshield wipers. I don't abuse mine, but after a year they harden, wear, get scratched, and smear.

I would hate to think that everytime I need windshield wipers I stop doing the last thing I did before I noticed them smearing or unfriend the last person I was with.

• Like 2

The forks are designed for jumping and landing, tying the bike down on a trailer won't put any stress on them albeit a little, but thats normal.

I use a brace on my trailer, but more so to stop the bike jumping up and down on the trailer. I've seen a couple of bikes compress the forks enough to slacken the straps and come off in front of me. The forks stop the compression - no movement, no slacken. Just a thought

• Like 1

I would say yes(maybe not if your forks are super soft) but the seals on my rm250, and my bro's yz125 are done for, they leak now(slowly) and I would have too say it's from not using anything. now I always use something to keep my forks from compressing. also it helps keep the tie down tight, as soon as your forks compress a bit, the wheel will turn, and your bike will fall over, that is if you don't have something keeping it straight.

Listen, i feel your pain but you`re missing it. Go buy a 5 dollar `seal mate` to clean the seals. Just follow the directions only takes 10minutes. Works like a charm and stops the leak. Then you can throw the fork brace away, and make happy friends when you fix their leaks too.

My guess is that you had dirt caked to the forks and didn't get it washed off after you broke your hand. It got sucked up into the seal and caused your problem.

This will cure the leaky seals.

You can use 35mm film negatives instead of this "special" tool.

Huh? How many megapixel film negatives size should you use?

• Like 2

Listen, i feel your pain but you`re missing it. Go buy a 5 dollar `seal mate` to clean the seals. Just follow the directions only takes 10minutes. Works like a charm and stops the leak. Then you can throw the fork brace away, and make happy friends when you fix their leaks too.

LOL!!!! I have actually replaced seals in his bikes, more than my own!!! I will continue to use the brace, and maybe have continued good luck with my seals. Him.. I've showed him enough times how to do it, so maybe he can do the next ones himself, or....

It's air pressure that's causing the problem. If you're worried about damage, once strapped down, open the air bleeder on the forks and release the pressure. The only pressure, then, will be on the springs.

With all due respect, you should NEVER do this! The only time you want to let the air out of your forks is when the front wheel is off the ground. Other wise you end up with NEG pressure in the suspension. I have my suspension work done by a very knowledgeable tech and this was explained to me in detail after I pushed the bleeders while sitting on the bike. I no longer even have bleeders in the forks, only the OEM screws.

• Like 1

Owkay. Guess maybe because I'm not in the habit of "catching air" with my pickup while my bike is in the bed (or at all for that matter), all this doesn't apply to me. But.. I've been hauling my bikes in the bed of my truck for years (granted, not during the Baja 500, but on some pretty rough public roads), held by 2 straps on the bar, with a plastic fork brace between the tire and the fender (between the 4 bolts that hold the fender to the bottom clamp, where there is absolutely no stress on the fender itself), with no problems what so ever(including leaking fork seals).

i agree. ever since i started using the brace the bike stayed in place solid as a rock and no need to put much pressure on the straps at all.

i don't care if your hitting a 30 ft gap with your truck. the fork brace will make it WAY

more stable

• Like 1