Sign in to follow this  

Can you help confirm my issue is the shock absorber

I have a 2006 WR250F and its probably covered about 5000 to 6000 miles and about 50% of it off road.

I noticed that the rear of my bike sits lower than normal recently by probably about 2 cm. This means that when putting the bike on the side stand it wants to stand more central. I also noticed that the bike bottoms out on on relatively small bumps and when traveling fast on a rough surface the rear tyre struggles to keep traction when accelerating.

The other point i noticed was when on tarmac moving fast and accelerating the front end is now twitchey, i presume this is because the rear is sitting lower.

I decided to check to see if the rear shock is leaking but it does not really seem to be leaking. I also checked to see if the spring is cracked and it seems fine.

I am thinking i need to get the rear shock refurbished but before i remove it i have a few questions.

1.) What would a rear shock refurbish consist of as i have been quoted £99.99 for a refurb.

2.) Are my symptoms definitely a nakered shock or may i need to grease the swing arm pivot bearings? They have not been greased in at least 2500. miles.

Sounds like either the spring preload needs to be increased or the nitrogen gas pressure in the shock has gone down.

If the shock has never been serviced in it's life, it's overdue.

1.) What would a rear shock refurbish consist of as i have been quoted £99.99 for a refurb.

Typically, it gets taken apart, cleaned out, inspected for any worn parts and any worn parts replaced, then put back together with fresh fluid and the gas pressure recharged.

If you request any valving or springing modifications be done, that is added to the bill.

100 pounds is about 150 US dollars, so that's not unusual for price.

2.) Are my symptoms definitely a nakered shock or may i need to grease the swing arm pivot bearings?

They have not been greased in at least 2500. miles.

It's possible, but it isn't my first guess.

I grease my suspension bearings regularly, regardless.

Try pulling up on the rear fender in order to fully extend the rear shock, and then let it go.

If the rear of the bike squats down too much after doing this, I suspect my first two hunches.

Edited by YZEtc

Sounds like either the spring preload needs to be increased or the nitrogen gas pressure in the shock has gone down.

If the shock has never been serviced in it's life, it's overdue.

Typically, it gets taken apart, cleaned out, inspected for any worn parts and any worn parts replaced, then put back together with fresh fluid and the gas pressure recharged.

If you request any valving or springing modifications be done, that is added to the bill.

100 pounds is about 150 US dollars, so that's not unusual for price.

2.) Are my symptoms definitely a nakered shock or may i need to grease the swing arm pivot bearings?

They have not been greased in at least 2500. miles.

It's possible, but it isn't my first guess.

I grease my suspension bearings regularly, regardless.

Try pulling up on the rear fender in order to fully extend the rear shock, and then let it go.

If the rear of the bike squats down too much after doing this, I suspect my first two hunches.

Yep, shock needs maintenance or at least a setting check.

First set your sag, check your clickers and get the nitro recharged.. its 15$ or less at the stealership.

Grease your linkage or replace the bearings if needed.

Usually if the rear shock hasnt leaked its oil out its still got some life left in it and it might just be one of the mentioned issues.

Yea, regas for sure. I never hurts to have it rebuilt either...

Start with the simple things. Check your sag before you spend any money. I've seen many many preload adjuster rings back off over time.

Id have to say if its never been serviced, then whether it is the problem or not, itd be worth doing. It also sounds like it miiiight be nitrogen as other have said if it does not leak any oil. Even a small leak over enough time could become a bigger issue. Far as the linkage, if its sagging lower then you remember under its own weight, i doubt its linkage. In my experience, if the linkage is dry and crappy, it will not want to sag as much under its own weight, or not rebound as easily after you sit on it and get off. Sometimes to the point you feel like you can pull the bike up a lot after you get off...like its getting stuck down there somewhat lol.