Ossa Explorer review

I bought a 2012 Ossa Explorer this winter from Lewisport USA. I like reading peoples reviews about their bikes here, so I wanted to share my experience with the Explorer. I have over 50 hours on it and have ridden atv trails and single track. I'm using it as a TRAIL bike, not as a TRIALS bike.

Overall I love this bike, but she does have a very different personality that is not for everyone.

About me: female, 5'6", forty something. I've ridden for three years but logged a lot of miles on trails. My previous bikes were a TTR125 and a WR250F (lowered)

My riding style can best be described as timid. I'm an avid mountain biker turned dirt biker. I love long rides through the mountains. I don't like to crash. I don't like to charge obstacles. I'm not very fast and am usually the last in the group. I don't race. I don't like to leave my comfort zone.

Mods: Added hand guards. Added a KTM200 enduro fender instead of the trials fender (just for looks). Had to make the rear break lever closer because I couldn't reach it. Added 2" handlebar risers. Took off the rear handle and blinkers (there is a grab spot under the seat for moving the bike). Better grips (personal preference).

The great things about the Explorer:

The buttery smooth controls. Light responsive clutch. Smooth throttle with predictable delivery. The breaks work fine. Great power. Unbelievable traction.

The light weight is super manageable and very well balanced. It's super easy to wheelie and jib on rocks. I don't get nearly as tired riding it because of the light weight. It is so "flickable" can toss it around anywhere I want while riding. When I'm stuck I can lift or move either wheel where I need to get un-stuck.

The seat height is great. I'm 5'6" with a 32" inseam. I can sit on it pretty much flat-footed. Because of the height and the weight I can almost always catch the bike and very rarely lay it down. I can also reach the kick start pretty easily.

I like the looks of the bike and I love that there aren't exposed radiators or header pipe to smash.

The harder the trail gets the more this bike excels.

The good things:

I'm not sure but I think I should have a range of 70+ miles. I haven't taken it out that far on a single ride yet to verify. I've ridden about 45 miles and needed to fill just over a gallon of gas.

The kick start is surprisingly easy. It takes about 4 kicks when it is cold. Then just one easy kick if you are in neutral to start it all day long. I still prefer e-start. But this is easy enough not to be a problem.

Some bad things:

The shift lever is strange being out so far. I'm getting used to it though

The gearing is strange as well. First is sooo low its useless. Maybe that is what the trials riders use to jump up on things. Second will climb anything. Anything. Third will also climb anything but you have to clutch it a bit. Then there is a weird gap to forth. Most of my trail riding is in third or fourth. Either I'm revving it out in third, or bogging (yes, even with FI) in fourth. Fifth also bogs on dirt roads at the high end of the gear. I would love to have a more consistent trail oriented gearing.

Little things keep breaking. The little plastic side panels are held on with little plastic tabs that broke. The headlight mount is held on with a zip ty around a little plastic tab and that broke. The brake lever bent. The seat has tears from where my legs grab. She's not robustly constructed like an enduro bike. She's fragile. She's harder to do routine maintenance on too.

The cockpit is small. I have 2" bar risers and it's still a bit cramped compared to an enduro bike. But it is an adult sized bike and bigger than the TTR125. I would like the foot pegs further forward and a taller front end to make standing up all day more comfortable.

The combination of shocks and light weight makes it bouncy and you get pin-balled around more. It's much more like riding a mountain bike than an enduro bike. Instead of using momentum and powering through things you pick your lines. It's not necessarily bad, it's just different.

The lights and blinker switches are too easy to move. I always find them in the wrong spot and have taped them in place.

The kick stand is too short. Even on flat ground its leans the bike way over. On the trail its usually easier to find a tree to lean on rather than deal with finding the right height ground/rock/stick to make it stand up correctly.

Whooped out quad trails are nasty. They always are, but on this bike with the shorter bouncy shocks they really suck. Snow is also very difficult. The trials tires float on top and slide around.

The really horrible things:

The gas cap. It literally takes two of us and a funnel to get gas into it, then half the time it gets overfilled and spills everywhere. The cap has a stupid rubber thing that doesn't seat correctly then gas spills out while you ride. The fill hole is too tiny to put the end of the gas jug in. You can't see inside the tank or see the fill level at all while you are filling it. If IMS made a clear replacement tank that had a normal sized gas cap with a vent I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The foot pegs are made of tin foil. I expected them to be stout like a trials bike. But they aren't. I bend them just by looking at rocks. The foot pegs on my WR are bomber and I hit a lot with them and they are barely scratched. I have already bought replacements for the Ossa because they are so badly twisted and broken.

With so much wrong with the bike why do I love it? Because it's a game changer for me. It is sooo easy to ride on rocky steep root filled trails with exposed side hills and river crossings and log crossings and through scree fields. I have gone from being nervous and timid and not sure if I could get my bike through different obstacles without crashing hard to being confident I can easily get over anything. And if I can't make it I know I can catch the bike rather than falling down some steep deadfall covered slope. The light weight and easy balance really make a difference for my type of riding. I don't need nearly as much momentum to get up things. I can go much slower and there is as much power and traction as I need to chug over pretty much anything.

If you are a fast rider, tall, or love your enduro bike you probably won't like the Explorer as a main bike. Maybe as a play bike, but even then her fragile temperament may make you mad.

But if you want to ride around the woods and have a really easy time with it, this bike is great. It's slower than the enduro bikes and a fast group will drop you like a hot rock. But it is great for exploring technical single tracks and jumping every rock in the trail just because you can.

• Like 3

That is an awesome bike report. I was thinking about getting one myself but read a couple reports were it was VERY hard to start and sometime wouldn't. Since then I have thouht abut the new Sherco or seeing if the Scorpa T- Ride ever makes it over here. Thanks for taking the time to give your impressions on the OSSA Explorer.

Edited by john01

Hark! A damsel in distress! ?

You have a trials bike in disguise. It seems that they have left all of the trials hardware intact as well.

Have you played with the clickers on your suspension to see if you could firm it up? Trials bikes have Flintstone forks. Crank them all the way in and go out from there. They click a lot. But the clicks don't do very much. The shock may or may not have clickers. If you haven't played with that stuff yet. You should be able to get some positive results from doing so.

Your transmission sounds pretty trials as well. I guess that I would try to gear first gear up to be like your current second of maybe just a shade taller than that. You should be able to fit a front sprocket that is one or two teeth larger for testing without going to the trouble of getting a new chain and the associated work and expense. The risk is that you might still need forth a lot and it would then be WAY out there. But if you can make a useful first and a tall enough third for most trail situations. That would make fourth a nice cruiser gear. The flip side is to go the other way to bring forth a bit closer to third.

Footpegs. Here in the Netherlands almost all the trials bikes are sporting S3 pegs. Good stuff.

Seat. A good car upholsterer may be the right person to address your seat. It sounds to me like the pan plastic is a little too wide and the seat material is a little too light. A knip here and a new tuck should fix that for a reasonably long run.

Tires. Try 4psi rear and 6psi front. It sounds crazy low by dirt bike standards. But you have a trials bike. If you are running high pressures. They may also contribute to the suspension problems. The rear should be tubeless. You won't get a pinch flat.

• Like 1

Thanks Shagger,

ha - I'm in distress now a lot less than before ?

Yes the forks have rebound and compression clickers. I've played around a bit, and it does take a lot of clicks to change them. I think its about as set up as it will go for me. But I'm also comparing against the super plush suspension of the WR.

I got the S3s for new footpegs - I havn't tried them out yet. They do look nice. But I would rather be more forward than back.

I'm running 7 and 10psi in the tires. They already sway on the dirt roads. I could try less and see how that runs though.

You are spot-on with the seat. The pan plastic seems a little wide right in the middle.

As for the gearing I had the same conundrum. If I raise it then that gap to fourth may be a bit high. I will probably try it when I change out the chain next though. I'll let you know how it goes.

I bought a 2012 Ossa Explorer this winter from Lewisport USA. I like reading peoples reviews about their bikes here, so I wanted to share my experience with the Explorer. I have over 50 hours on it and have ridden atv trails and single track. I'm using it as a TRAIL bike, not as a TRIALS bike.

Overall I love this bike, but she does have a very different personality that is not for everyone.

About me: female, 5'6", forty something. I've ridden for three years but logged a lot of miles on trails. My previous bikes were a TTR125 and a WR250F (lowered)

My riding style can best be described as timid. I'm an avid mountain biker turned dirt biker. I love long rides through the mountains. I don't like to crash. I don't like to charge obstacles. I'm not very fast and am usually the last in the group. I don't race. I don't like to leave my comfort zone.

Mods: Added hand guards. Added a KTM200 enduro fender instead of the trials fender (just for looks). Had to make the rear break lever closer because I couldn't reach it. Added 2" handlebar risers. Took off the rear handle and blinkers (there is a grab spot under the seat for moving the bike). Better grips (personal preference).

The great things about the Explorer:

The buttery smooth controls. Light responsive clutch. Smooth throttle with predictable delivery. The breaks work fine. Great power. Unbelievable traction.

The light weight is super manageable and very well balanced. It's super easy to wheelie and jib on rocks. I don't get nearly as tired riding it because of the light weight. It is so "flickable" can toss it around anywhere I want while riding. When I'm stuck I can lift or move either wheel where I need to get un-stuck.

The seat height is great. I'm 5'6" with a 32" inseam. I can sit on it pretty much flat-footed. Because of the height and the weight I can almost always catch the bike and very rarely lay it down. I can also reach the kick start pretty easily.

I like the looks of the bike and I love that there aren't exposed radiators or header pipe to smash.

The harder the trail gets the more this bike excels.

The good things:

I'm not sure but I think I should have a range of 70+ miles. I haven't taken it out that far on a single ride yet to verify. I've ridden about 45 miles and needed to fill just over a gallon of gas.

The kick start is surprisingly easy. It takes about 4 kicks when it is cold. Then just one easy kick if you are in neutral to start it all day long. I still prefer e-start. But this is easy enough not to be a problem.

Some bad things:

The shift lever is strange being out so far. I'm getting used to it though

The gearing is strange as well. First is sooo low its useless. Maybe that is what the trials riders use to jump up on things. Second will climb anything. Anything. Third will also climb anything but you have to clutch it a bit. Then there is a weird gap to forth. Most of my trail riding is in third or fourth. Either I'm revving it out in third, or bogging (yes, even with FI) in fourth. Fifth also bogs on dirt roads at the high end of the gear. I would love to have a more consistent trail oriented gearing.

Little things keep breaking. The little plastic side panels are held on with little plastic tabs that broke. The headlight mount is held on with a zip ty around a little plastic tab and that broke. The brake lever bent. The seat has tears from where my legs grab. She's not robustly constructed like an enduro bike. She's fragile. She's harder to do routine maintenance on too.

The cockpit is small. I have 2" bar risers and it's still a bit cramped compared to an enduro bike. But it is an adult sized bike and bigger than the TTR125. I would like the foot pegs further forward and a taller front end to make standing up all day more comfortable.

The combination of shocks and light weight makes it bouncy and you get pin-balled around more. It's much more like riding a mountain bike than an enduro bike. Instead of using momentum and powering through things you pick your lines. It's not necessarily bad, it's just different.

The lights and blinker switches are too easy to move. I always find them in the wrong spot and have taped them in place.

The kick stand is too short. Even on flat ground its leans the bike way over. On the trail its usually easier to find a tree to lean on rather than deal with finding the right height ground/rock/stick to make it stand up correctly.

Whooped out quad trails are nasty. They always are, but on this bike with the shorter bouncy shocks they really suck. Snow is also very difficult. The trials tires float on top and slide around.

The really horrible things:

The gas cap. It literally takes two of us and a funnel to get gas into it, then half the time it gets overfilled and spills everywhere. The cap has a stupid rubber thing that doesn't seat correctly then gas spills out while you ride. The fill hole is too tiny to put the end of the gas jug in. You can't see inside the tank or see the fill level at all while you are filling it. If IMS made a clear replacement tank that had a normal sized gas cap with a vent I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The foot pegs are made of tin foil. I expected them to be stout like a trials bike. But they aren't. I bend them just by looking at rocks. The foot pegs on my WR are bomber and I hit a lot with them and they are barely scratched. I have already bought replacements for the Ossa because they are so badly twisted and broken.

With so much wrong with the bike why do I love it? Because it's a game changer for me. It is sooo easy to ride on rocky steep root filled trails with exposed side hills and river crossings and log crossings and through scree fields. I have gone from being nervous and timid and not sure if I could get my bike through different obstacles without crashing hard to being confident I can easily get over anything. And if I can't make it I know I can catch the bike rather than falling down some steep deadfall covered slope. The light weight and easy balance really make a difference for my type of riding. I don't need nearly as much momentum to get up things. I can go much slower and there is as much power and traction as I need to chug over pretty much anything.

If you are a fast rider, tall, or love your enduro bike you probably won't like the Explorer as a main bike. Maybe as a play bike, but even then her fragile temperament may make you mad.

But if you want to ride around the woods and have a really easy time with it, this bike is great. It's slower than the enduro bikes and a fast group will drop you like a hot rock. But it is great for exploring technical single tracks and jumping every rock in the trail just because you can.

Great review :'thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the great report.

I'm getting a 2014 as soon as they are in- they addressed some things.

Better pegs, better brake pedal, stronger trans and more.

I've ridden my GasGas trials bike on the trails, so I know what you mean about gear ratios. I Can live with it though.

It doesn't sound like any major issues- that's good.

I can see where little stuff breaking can get annoying and expensive.

I run Trials tyres on my 300 KTM, I know what you mean about wallowing. I run about 4.5 in the rear, 6 in the front. I also ride it on the road for a few miles from my house (it is street legal, mostly) and sort of strange on the street.

But I love the killer traction!

Keep us posted!

Mark

Edited by lotus54

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hawaiirider - It looks like you have made some of the same mods but in different ways. 

"enduro" style fender.  I used one from a KTM200 and have hose clamps holding it on. I also took off some of the streeet legal stuff - blinkers, grab bar, etc. 

How are you liking yours?

I now have over 100 hours on the bike.  I'm not sure on the milage but it must be well over 1000, maybe even 1400?   I smashed a brake rotor this weekend - fully my fault on that one.  

By now we have replaced all the wheel bearings, chain, sprockets, footpegs (ended up with the ossas since the s3 needed major modifications to fit), rear brake lever, and computer battery.

All of the plastics are held on with zip-tys.  Still on the original tires (but I have always been easy on tires ?  )

Top speed is about 35 mph on dirt roads.

I have some flexx bars on the way to help with the shock and vibration on rocky downhills.

Otherwise she's running strong. 

A note on the range / gas milege.  It ends up we weren't filling the tnak all the way.  When you fill it you also have to wait for it to drain to the lower tank, then fill it again.

With a full tank I'm only getting 50 miles total.  That's a bit shorter than I hoped and I have run out of fuel a few times. 

I still wish the cockpit was just a bit bigger / more upright.  And I really would prefer cushier forks.  But the steep rocky trails have gone from "sigh -ok, I guesss I'll ride it but I'll need some help" to "wow - that's a really fun climb!"

bike2_zpsf25cc6af.jpg

4thofJuly2013littlebelts073_zps56807185.

Edited by spiraling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I now have a 2014 Explorer, I've done a few rides, only. Have about 4.5 hours.

Starts easily, pegs seem much improved.

Air filter really easy to service, most stuff seems pretty easy to get to.

I also installed 2" risers and it seems to fit me fine for standing (5'10").

Super Light, very responsive, runs great and a blast to ride.

I also removed the grab bar and passenger pegs, put a tigger I had on instead.

I'm going to plate the bike, but will replace the rear turn sigs with flush mounts.

I don't like the Pirelli that much, I'm going to swap it out for a Michelin.

What fun to ride!

I've gotten about 8 hours on the bike, really likeing it!

The bar risers have worked well, getting rid of the rear grab rail was a good idea (have a tugger) and it is starting quite easily,

I still have to learn the balance on this for really steep, nasty, slick hills- but it is going well.

Super control going down and picking through rough stuff. I very much like the light weight- a preliminary weight shows 75lbs less than my 300 XCW both with aboth 3/4 tank fuel.

It will move along pretty well on the trail- whoops are not so fun. I'm still getting used to using a foot brake again, but both brakes have excellent feel. Clutch has great feel also and excellent throttle control.

Runs great cold to hot.

Here are a couple of pics

d80150039162b7a4c92847d303b4ea91_zps1fa1

180afef8b0498490aa1022fc8756b61d_zps6950

57bd37be4a85d0a56e2d7a5e172f5fc1_zps6325

08ba2ccf94a5b7879e0c2d42b877ed5b_zpsac98

a5731a4252a455fc04e4430a9c698799_zps6427

e12d6e97f8fb353b4277025f739f52e3_zpsb5e2

Hey Hawaiirider - It looks like you have made some of the same mods but in different ways. 

"enduro" style fender.  I used one from a KTM200 and have hose clamps holding it on. I also took off some of the streeet legal stuff - blinkers, grab bar, etc. 

How are you liking yours?

I now have over 100 hours on the bike.  I'm not sure on the milage but it must be well over 1000, maybe even 1400?   I smashed a brake rotor this weekend - fully my fault on that one.  

By now we have replaced all the wheel bearings, chain, sprockets, footpegs (ended up with the ossas since the s3 needed major modifications to fit), rear brake lever, and computer battery.

All of the plastics are held on with zip-tys.  Still on the original tires (but I have always been easy on tires ?  )

Top speed is about 35 mph on dirt roads.

I have some flexx bars on the way to help with the shock and vibration on rocky downhills.

Otherwise she's running strong. 

A note on the range / gas milege.  It ends up we weren't filling the tnak all the way.  When you fill it you also have to wait for it to drain to the lower tank, then fill it again.

With a full tank I'm only getting 50 miles total.  That's a bit shorter than I hoped and I have run out of fuel a few times. 

I still wish the cockpit was just a bit bigger / more upright.  And I really would prefer cushier forks.  But the steep rocky trails have gone from "sigh -ok, I guesss I'll ride it but I'll need some help" to "wow - that's a really fun climb!"

bike2_zpsf25cc6af.jpg

4thofJuly2013littlebelts073_zps56807185.

Sorry that's not my bike. It's a dealers bike that I know . Seems he went to our riding park and someone wanted to demo it and mud got caught in the fender and locked up the front end.. That sort of got him to adjust his fender height. I like the bike . It's a cool bike and maybe a good second or third bike in my case.r..behind my Beta 525 street legal dirtbike and a good 2 stroke offroad bike.. For the explore I like how light it is and the motor manners. I just don't care for the higher price. For a more trials oriented guy I think it's awesome. I think it will be cool but I wonder about the big hills. I'd guess the enduro/mx bikes would be better there but I don't know. The really cool thing is the light weight. That in a brutal enduro section is great.